• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Movies

Originally posted by lies
I always liked Life of Brian least out of the three (Life of Brian, Holy Grail, Meaning of life)

I'm not keen on the other two, but I love Life of Brian! I always try to watch it when it's on TV, even though I about know it off by heart now. :)

While I'm here, I forgot to mention Dark City as one of my fave movies. This is an excellent film and it stars Jennifer Connelly, Richard O'Brien, Kiefer Sutherland and Rufus Sewell. No-one I meet seems to have seen it though. Has anyone here seen it?

Originally posted by Halo
While I'm here, I forgot to mention Dark City as one of my fave movies. This is an excellent film and it stars Jennifer Connelly, Richard O'Brien, Kiefer Sutherland and Rufus Sewell. No-one I meet seems to have seen it though. Has anyone here seen it?

I haven't seen Dark City yet. I missed it at the cinema and only found out about the movie recently, when it was compared to the Matrix.

So, with a bit of luck, I'll get round to seeing it soon. :)

I also recently heard about 'Dark City', and I also haven't seen it yet. I've heard it's comparable to 'Donnie Darko'. Is that a good comparison?! Has anyone here seen 'Donnie Darko', for that matter?

Cheers, Martin :D

I'm very fond of old movies, so a number of them would be on my list of favourites:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (my all-time favourite movie ever)
Casablanca
The Bishop's Wife
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Scarlet Pimpernel (with Leslie Howard)

Favourite newer movies include:
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
Arthur
Green Card
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Young Frankenstein
A Hard Day's Night
The Princess Bride
The Commitments
Disney's Jungle Book
The Elephant Man

and one I've just added to my list:

Pirates of the Caribbean (I've seen it twice and can't wait for the DVD to be released)

I can't wait to see Pirates of the Caribbean, it looks really good. The fact that Orlando Bloom is in it doesn't hurt either! :)

Fairly inspired by other replies but here you go:

Blade Runner
The Bourne Identity
Dune
The Matrix
Amelie
Shawshank Redemption
Stargate
Life of Brian
Daredevil
Usual Suspects
Spy Game
Fight Club
7even
Ronin
The Russia House
Leon
Itineraire d'Un Enfant Gate

Morry

Oups and:
Arizone Dream
Black Cat White Cat
Sinbad and the Legend of the Seven Seas
Dances With Wolves
The James Bond in Afghanistan
The English Patient
Elisabeth

Grypon said:
I'm very fond of old movies, so a number of them would be on my list of favourites
This got me thinking of some older favourites I'd almost forgotten:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Born Yesterday (1950)
Psycho (1960)
Casablanca (1942)
Singin' In The Rain (1952)

Most of mine are recent (ish) films -

Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Grosse Pointe Blank
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ferris Bueller's Day Off!! How could I have left that one off my list? A brilliant feel-good film! :)

Man Bites Dog
Two Hands
Barberella
Watership Down
Enemy At The Gate
Starship Troopers (even the dodgy bits)
The Hitman (AKA The Killer)
Resident Evil
Ninja Scroll
Akira
The Fith Element
Rentadick
Dragon Lord
All the Monty Pythons

...to name a few, I just can't think any more at the moment.

Mine's are

Ben Hur
A Shakespeare In Love
Sliding Doors
Leon
Ameile
Run Lola Run
Forrest Gump
Toy Story

I like foriegn films with subtitles. Anyone recommended any good foreign films?

Besides Run Lola Run? That's one foreign film my whole family liked! And that's saying alot.

Try - Like Water for Chocolate.

Kaz, I notice you like Leon. In that case, I'd recommend Nikita, another Luc Besson film. It's about a young woman whose death is faked by the government so she can become an assassin for them. Subtitles too! :)

I suggest you seeing:

Three Colors Trilogy - Blue (starring Juliette Binoche), White(starring Zbigniew Zamachowski and Julie Delpy) and Red (starring Irene Jacob and Jean-Louis Trintignant) directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski. My personal favourite from the Trilogy is Red.
These films are in French (exept White, which is mainly in Polish.). The colours are taken from French flag, and therefore symbolize three virtues: Liberte, Egalite and Fraternite - Freedom, Equality and Fraternity.

Kanal - by Andrzej Wajda. It's an old, black and white film, which action takes place in Warsaw, during WWII. It says a story of a group of people from the Polish Resistance, who run from Nazi army through the Warsaw sewer system (that's 'kanal'). This film is in Polish.

The films I mentioned are truly masterpieces, well-worth seeing. Some of the scenes and the moral messages touch viewers' souls and are unforgettable.

Back