• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Young adult authors

Sk8terDiego

kickbox
I was just wondering who your favorite young adult author is. One of my favorite is S. E. Hinton who wrote the Outsiders. It was a very good book, I probably never would have read it but it was assigned for school. But I'm glad that my teacher made us read that book beacuse if she didn't, I would have missed out.:D

I read far too many kids' books for a twenty-two year old, but my favorite authors are the ones I loved when I was actually a kid. Lloyd Alexander, C.S. Lewis, and Lucy Maud Montgomery. Montgomery doesn't really fit with the others, but I'm also a big fan of Little Women, and what girl can grow up properly without Anne Of Green Gables?

I've seen the movie Anne of Green Gables but of course the book is probably better. We might have to read little men for class. Have you read that by any chance?

Yeah, Little Men is pretty good. Not as good as Little Women, buit not bad either. I only read it once, whereas I've reread Little Women a lot.

I read all of Willard Price's books when I was about 9 or 10. They were about two boys and their adventures as they accomapnied their father on safari-type adventures around the world. They all had the word "Adventure" in the title, eg "Amazon Adventure".

Sad thing is that I can remember very little about them now, but I do remember that I enjoyed them.

Favorite young adult author

My favorite young adult author is Edward Bloor. He wrote Tangerine(my favorite book) and Crusader! You should read them!

I read far too many kids' books for a twenty-two year old

No such thing! I'm firmly of the opinion that some of the best books are 'children's books', and some the best writers are those that write for children!
The 'Anne books' are old favourites of mine, too.
I have to add another recommendation here too, for 'King of Shadows' by Susan Cooper - a story about a young actor who finds himself taken back in time to play opposite William Shakespeare himself. It's a really wonderful story and I've read it twice since a friend bought it for me last year.

Very true, Deerskin. I routinely re-read the "Three Investigators" series, the "Encyclopedia Brown" series, and the books of Jonathan Bellairs. I also just picked up #1-5 of the series written by Lemony Snickett, and am keeping an eye out for Artemis Fowl. BTW, I'm nearly 37.

Eoin Colfer, Philip Pullman, JK Rowling and Philip Reeve are among my current faves.

I loved Roald Dahl as a child, well I still do, they had a real dark twisted side to them.

Have any of you read any of John Marsden's books? Especially the Tomorrow,when the war began series. The first one came out when I was about 13 and I loved them, It was hard having to wait a whole year between books, there were seven all together and I highly recommend them especially to young adults, But anyone can enjoy them.

Oh and hi everyone I am new

Originally posted by key_wee
I loved Roald Dahl as a child, well I still do, they had a real dark twisted side to them.

I agree with you. They have a wickedness that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike.:)

Neil somebody wrote 'Downsiders', which is got to be the best book in the world. A lot of books are classified under both children's books and young adult.... Kenneth Oppel's Silverwing Saga is also very good, and so are the Redwall books. The Giver bu Lois Lowry, Fire Bringer by David Clements-Davies, and the Young Wizard Series by Diana Duane.

Of the ones I've read and can think of right now, besides those mentioned already:

Tamora Pierce - young adult fantasy
Diane Duane - young adult science fiction

Anne of Green Gables and Little Women were mentioned already, so... Can't think of anyone else at the moment.
Oh, sorry, Flashing_spirit - I just noticed you mentioning Diane Duane! And Lois Lowry - The Giver; yes, definitely. So I am editing my post.
How about The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery? I am not sure it counts as young adult book, but...
Oh, yesh - the books by Frances Hodgson Burnett - The Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy, etc? Although they may be more children's then young adults. Hmm, can't stick to the topic; sorry.;)

I love Enid Blyton's stuff. Unfortunately, most of what I read was library books or copies from my dad's collection. They're mostly out of print over here now.

my favourites

Enid Blyton (Mallory Towers, The Secret Seven, Famous Five), Roald Dahl (the man!), C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling...........

I loved Enid Blyton books as a child. Especially the Brer Rabbit books and the Faraway tree ones. And the Wishing Chair. I've still got a few lying about somewhere.
I'm looking forward to reading them with my son when he's older. At the moment we read Thomas the Tank Engine and Mr.Men books together ....He's only 3! You gotta catch 'em when they're young though .haha.
Oops sorry, I'm rabbiting on!

I have just gotten into Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci series. Also classified as young adult, she writes some very entertaining fantasies.

Sharon Creech

I am a really big fan of Sharon Creech. "Walk Two Moons" is probably my favorite and I use it with my 4th graders each year. I like all of her writing, though.

I am also a big fan of "The Cay" by Theodore Taylor and "Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell

...and of course...(see signature) ;-)

I loved J.K. Rowling, power to her! She is a great author who captivates an audience that is not limited at all. and brings to life "a whole new world" (Aladin) but honestly, she has a very valueble imagination. and makes more money than the queen of england is what i heard.

Blade said:
At the moment we read Thomas the Tank Engine

You got to love Thomas the Tank Engine. Even now I have a soft spot for the books and programmes - I always watch it if I'm off work and it's on. (I'm 28 year's old :rolleyes: ). I like Percy best. :D

Anyway, I digress...favourite childrens / young adults authors would have to be Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, CS Lewis (the master) and I remember reading and loving The Animals of Farthing Wood series (can't remember who wrote it now).

Back