• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Young adult authors

The first series that I really enjoyed would be the Biggles books by Captain W.E. Johns. Good stories, ranging from wartime high-jinks to inter-war thrillers, I remember them being very enjoyable, and in fact I still have most of them lurking around my room somewhere. Currently my two favourite children's authors would have to be Philip Pullman (obviously) and the lesser-known Paul Stewart, author of the Edge Chronicles. These books are brilliant escapist fantasy, ranging from the wonderful to the really quite black and macabre, with highly amusing illustrations by Chris Riddell thrown into the mix. Far more imaginative and better written by far than the escapades of Mr. Potter.

EDIT: Forgot David Almond's books, especially Skellig and Kit's Wilderness. Haunting, mysterious tales from everyday situations, Almond is another excellent author.

The Farthing Wood series was by Colin Dann, and I loved them as well.

I was very keen on horses when younger (still am, to be truthful, but you don't find them a great deal in older fiction) so I constantly re-read the Jinny series by Patricia Leitch and the Silver Brumby books by Elyne Mitchell.

I am loving Garth Nix (just started reading his young adult stuff) and I've always been a huge fan of all Tamora Pierce's stories (especially the Alanna series).

magemanda said:
I was very keen on horses when younger (still am, to be truthful, but you don't find them a great deal in older fiction) so I constantly re-read the Jinny series by Patricia Leitch and the Silver Brumby books by Elyne Mitchell.

Same here! :) I got five Silver Brumby books in a boxset one birthday from my godmother - I didn't think I would like them as they weren't my usual kind of "horsey" book, but they were very good and surprisingly moving.

The Jinny series was brilliant! :) I think I liked them because Jinny was a bit headstrong and not too goody-goody, unlike most other girls in horse books.

Sweden has some really great authors of YA books.
I don't know how many of these that have been translated though, but some of my fave authors are:
Maria Gripe, Peter Pohl, Astrid Lindgren and Gunila Ambjörnsson

I also love foreign-language authors such as Philip Pullman, John Marsden and Lian Hearn.

JK Rowling obviously, and the incredible Philip Pullman. Can't believe I only recently got into Pullman books - it took me a while to start enjoying Northern Lights, but once I did I lapped up the whole trilogy in a week or so. Couple of weeks later I had read all the Sally Lockhearts too - God I wish he would write some more of those, they're great!

I haven't read any Garth Nix but my son enjoyed Mister Monday and has Grim Tuesday on order.

I really loved His Dark Materials, but
I stopped reading Sally Lockheart when Fred died. I was just so attached to him - the books couldn't be the same without him. Poor Fred.

Stalky, you can use spoiler tags :)

use
tags each side of what you want to keep hidden. use a / before spoiler in your second tag :)

Stalky, without reposting your spoiler, you really shouldn't stop there. What happens is awful and horrible, and most people I know had to stop reading for some time at that point to come to terms with it. But it is also crucial to the further development of Sally's character. Also, if you stop before the third book then you're missing the climax of a massive story arc... I have to stop before I spoil it for you.

Book 4 is an incredible departure as well. Sally isn't in it much, it's more Jim's book and there are only about 2 chapters in London (the rest is in eastern europe at the turn of the century). I really hope Pullman writes some more in this series.

Thank you for educating me on the spoiler business. I'm rather technologically inept, I'm afraid. And thanks for the advice on the rest of the series. I might just have to keep reading now:)

My favourite authors when I was younger were Lucy Maud Montgomery, Karleen Bradford, Monica Hughes, and C.S. Lewis. I don't think any book took me as far away from the horrors of elementary school than the chronicles of Narnia. :rolleyes: I think I'mgoing to re-read them next.

key_wee said:
Have any of you read any of John Marsden's books? Especially the Tomorrow,when the war began series. The first one came out when I was about 13 and I loved them

I LOVE JOHN MARSDEN!! :D I've read Checkers, the Tomorrow series, Letters from the Inside, So Much to Tell You and the sequel, as well as While I Live, Marsden on Marsden and Everything I Know About Writing.

I think he's a really great author, my favourite at the moment. I'm waiting right now for the second part of the Ellie Chronicles, after While I Live.

M. T. Anderson is very good. I have't read all of his work but I loved Feed (dystopia book) and Thirsty (the sad coming-of-age story about a boy...whos' turning into a vampire--also has dystopian themes).

I think that Paul Stewart rocks, his books are funny and easy to understand, he takes reading to a whole new level. :)

I totally agree with those of you who said you can never get to old for children's books. I'm 31 and I love them, and I plan to go on loving them for a long time :).

Some favourites of mine have been mentioned; Pullman, Rowling, Montgomery, Alcott. I really liked Mary Hoffman's Stravaganza: City of Masks and Holly Black's dark fairytale Tithe shouldn't be missed! Neil Gaiman's Coraline is eerily spooky and Robin McKinley's Beauty is a wonderful rewriting of Beauty & the Beast. On a slightly lighter side are Meg Cabot's Princess & Mediator books which I find entertaining as well as Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air. Oh, I could go on and on. But I won't ;).

I just have to ask those of you who read horse books: Did anyone read the books about Jill by Ruby Ferguson? I loved those!

pink shadow said:
I just have to ask those of you who read horse books: Did anyone read the books about Jill by Ruby Ferguson? I loved those!

I read them! I enjoyed them a lot at the time. They were my second favourites after Patricia Leitch's Jinny at Finmory series. :) I remember being disappointed at the end of the Jill series when (rather sexist) reality kicked in and they decided they had to become secretaries or something. :(

I loved Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (the Witch books and the Alice books are just amazing and show off her range of talent) and Beverly Cleary. Oh man, and Judy Blume's books about Peter and Fudge were awesome.

*sudden urge to raid box of childhood books*

Halo said:
I read them! I enjoyed them a lot at the time. They were my second favourites after Patricia Leitch's Jinny at Finmory series. :) I remember being disappointed at the end of the Jill series when (rather sexist) reality kicked in and they decided they had to become secretaries or something. :(

Yeah, I remember that too. The last books were never as funny as the first ones where she was trying to learn how to ride and always got stuck with her flower-pressing cousin Cecilia. Those ones were great :)

Back