• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favourite Fantasy Authors

Bringing this back around to the top!

Since I'm new, I'll wade in on the discussion.

Favorite SFF writers:

1) Piers Anthony
2) Jim Butcher
3) JK Rowling
4) Mercedes Lackey
5) Frank Herbert (and, by extension Brian Herbert)
6) Kevin J. Anderson
7) Laurell K. Hamilton

There are more, because SFF is my favorite genre, but those are the top few. :) I am surprised that no one else mentioned Jim Butcher. Love both of his series! The Dresden Files is six books in, and about to become both a motion picture and a series on the Sci-Fi channel, and his latest new series "The Furies of Calderon" is exceptional.

My five favorite SFF authors

1. Terry Goodkind
2. Mercedes Lackey
3. Orson Scott Card
4. Sara Douglass
5. Laurell K Hamilton (okay, okay i lied, Laurell K Hamilton is really a little bit of horror... okay, a lot a bit of horror, but there is her Merry Gentry series...total fantasy...)

i really dont like Robert Jordan or Terry Brooks, because their stories are just to cliche for me...i feel like i've read it all before....

1) Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (duel)
2) Stephen King
3) Michael Crichton
4) William C. Dietz
5) Peter Benchley

That's all I'll put. :)

1. Roger Zelazny
2. Tolkein
3. Joel Rosenberg
4. T.H. White
5. Tad Williams

There are several I read like Goodkind, Donaldson and on a rare occasion Anthony that won't ever go on my favorites list but what else can I do when I run out of good books to read?

Prolixic said:
1. David Eddings
2. Roger Zelazny
3. Tolkein
4. Joel Rosenberg
5. Tad Williams

I just finished The Belgariad by David Eddings and had to adjust my list. It was probably the best fantasy read I've had since Tolkein.

No way! :)

Okay, I admit I don't remember too much of Belgariad because it was some time ago, but I didn't remember anything, well, memorable. Which parts did you like?

ds

direstraits said:
No way! :)

Okay, I admit I don't remember too much of Belgariad because it was some time ago, but I didn't remember anything, well, memorable. Which parts did you like?

ds

Well its hard not to like Garion--he's a little dense sometimes, but he's a great character. It was refreshing to read Belgarath who was a powerful sorcerer, but more human than Gandalf could ever be. It was masterful the way Eddings brought all the strands of the story to bear at the end without overdoing it. I read Goodkind's stuff first--but Eddings Belgariad predates it. Its hard not to get the impression that The Sword of Truth was a knock-off. And Eddings handled his female characters better than most anyone else. They had spines or not as the character demanded.

I don't know, it was a great read and I was overdue for one of those in the fantasy department.

1. RA Salvatore
2. Meg Cabot
3. JK Rowling
4. Emily Rodda
5. Garth Nix

GreenMonkey- Your the first fan of Salvatores I've seen around here yet! (Which suprises me) Keep the trend going! lol

No particular order: Lynn Flewelling, Jacqueline Carey, Garth Nix, Storm Constantine, Juliet Marillier.

Wow, I haven't heared of a single one of those!

I need to read more.

P.S. Why aren't they in any particular order? They should be in a particular order, Liadan, :D. Who's your favourite and who would you recommend to me the most?

Nosferatu Man said:
P.S. Why aren't they in any particular order? They should be in a particular order, Liadan, :D. Who's your favourite and who would you recommend to me the most?

OK Lynn Flewelling(everything that she has written so far kicks) and Storm Constantine(Wreaththru is best) if you do not Homosexual/dark Fantasy, Garth Nix's Abhorsen Tri is for young adult but is rocking good dark fantasy, Juliet marillier takes a historical spin to things (basically girly books...love sex a bit of fighting but not much), Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel tri rocks in a "I can't believe that someone thought of this." way.

So, you may see why I could not put them in order. Plus, there are always new authors to find and the list could change.

Ahh, I see. I'll let you off then. I think I'll definately check out Lynn Flewelling and Storm Constantine. I have yet to read a book with a homosexual character in it! How sad's that? Mind you... I honestly haven't read as much as I should have. I sort of just re-read books that I love - e.g. I'm reading The Lord of the Rings again for about the 5th time or something, and The Silmarillion for the 2nd. I want to read Perdido Street Station but I can't find it anywhere (although I haven't looked as hard as I should have!). Oh, infact... I think Mr. Antolini in The Catcher in the Rye is gay. There we go. I'm not that sad after all!

I don't think any author really writs home-sexual characters very good, because they always tutn out funny in the books I have read.....Maybe it's just me...

You both need to check out Lynn's Nightrunner series. I haven't read the last one yet but she is an excellent author. I have to warn you that even though she is writing the Tamir trilogy second, it is set in the same world before the Nightrunner series. It kinda threw me off at first.

Storm's Wreaththru series deals with a mutation of humans. You have to read it. I don't want to spoil the surprise (or shock).

I have a tendency to go for the more obscure books. I have not read any Salvatore, Martin, or Brooks. Eventually I will get to them since everyone raves about their work.

Wow! I've read something by (almost) all of the aforementioned authors.

Let me throw some names out that I didn't see so far:

1 - John Marco (am I the only one who's ever heard of this guy?)
2 - David Farland Runelords series
3 - David B. Coe Winds of the Forelands series
4 - James Clemens The Banned and the Banished series
5 - Robert Newcomb The Chronicles of Blood and Stone series
6 - Mitchell Graham The Fifth Ring series
7 - Simon Brown The Keys of Power series

But there are so many more authors that I don't miss a novel by!!!

Back