• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favourite Fantasy Authors

top 3

Well, here goes...

1. David Eddings
1. Terry Goodkind
2. Tolkein
3. Ursula Le Guin, TA Barron, Orson Scott Card, Clement-Davis, Garth Nix, Phillip Pullman, and many more.

AND MAY I SAY THAT TERRY GOODKIND AND DAVID EDDINGS CHANGED MY LIFE!!!!!!.... thought u ought to know... :rolleyes: :p :D

glad you asked. david eddings changed my life in how i view the world around me, he opened my eyes, i must say, to the cynical laughter of all things silly! he once said, or rather one of the gods, once said,"there are many silly people in the world, and if you get mad at them and snap back, you become just as silly as they are" something along those lines. once again, he opened my eyes.

as for terry goodkind, well he showed me that i had yet to fully widen my eyes to the ways of the world! in his books there are wizards, and the wizards have powerful rules that aspect the balance of the magics inside you- its very complicated, but basically these rules are also human realizations and ideas that are important in life. every book is centered around one- there are eight so far. the rules are as follows so far:

#1: shown below in signature
#2: Greatest harm can come from the best intentions
#3: Passion rules reason.
#4: There is magic in forgiveness- the magic to heal! In the forgiveness that we give, and more so in the forgiveness that we recieve.
#6: The only soverign you can allow to rule you is reason.
#7: Life is the future, not the past.
#8: Deserve Victory!

and thats it as of now! thanx for the brilliant question!

Okay people, current scores (I'm only listing those that have more than 5 points):
1) David Eddings (21)
2) JRR Tolkein (18)
3) GRR Martin (11)
4) Melanie Rawn (10)
=5) Steven Erikson (9)
=5) Raymond Fiest (9)
=5) Terry Goodkind (9)
=6) Marion Zimmer Bradley (8)
=6) Phillip Pullman (8)
=6) David Gemmell (8)
=6) Mercedes Lackey (8)
7) Robin Hobb (7)

So far, the forum's favourite author is David Eddings, how depressing...

Thanks for your response, Richard. I've not read either author, but you've certainly sparked my interest.

Oponn -> why is it depressing to you that Eddings is winning? I don't read many fantasy books by the authors who are winning (I don't tend to enjoy epic adventures), so I've no real basis for understanding why Eddings being in the lead depresses you.

VTChEwbecca said:
Oponn -> why is it depressing to you that Eddings is winning? I don't read many fantasy books by the authors who are winning (I don't tend to enjoy epic adventures), so I've no real basis for understanding why Eddings being in the lead depresses you.

Eddings is, in my opinion completely talentless. He churns out mind-numbingly repeditive books that contain the same plots, the same characters, the same "jokes" and the same general ideas. His books contain little to nothing that could be described as original. That's bad in one book, Eddings has about 20. He is, in short and in my opinion, what is wrong with fantasy. It is he and authors like him that give fantasy its reputation in the eyes of the general reading public. And no matter how many books, of continually decreasing quality, that he spawns, people still take it and think its the best thing happening in the genre, while vastly more talented authors get criminally overlooked.
If the James Bond films were four times as bad as they are now, Eddings' books would be the James Bond films of fantasy.

Yeah, I have read him and didn't like him at all. Dull is not really strong enough. I have often heard the complaint that all his books are the same plot with the same characters in them but with different names. I wouldn't know if that is true because one book was more than enough :D

Ah, then I definitely don't want to read his stuff. The repetitive aspect of a good portion of the fantasy genre turns me off.

VTChEwbecca said:
Ah, then I definitely don't want to read his stuff. The repetitive aspect of a good portion of the fantasy genre turns me off.

My work here is done...

*fades back into the shadows*

:D ;)

I am not a huge Eddings fan but you can't criticize all his books High Hunt and the Losers were quite decent but I do have to agree with the statements on repetition in the later books/series. To stomach the later books just remember to read the first set of books and skip the second set since it is just a rehash of the first overall with different names. Eddings even admits it when writing during both sets of books in each of the seconds series the question is asked again and again "doesn't it feel like we've done this before?". So what it comes down to is this boy or man for the basis of choosing what series will be best suited for you. If you want to watch the child grow to become a man then the Belgariad is for you but if you wish to travel along with the grizzled veteran then the correct choice is the Elenium just remember never read the second set of books for whatever series you choose and you will be able to have a much more enjoyable experience.

I have read both series and their followup series of books and in the end for me the choice of which to keep of the four sets was the Elenium the writing was a bit stronger and you don't have to waste time learning the correct path from boy to man. The fact that it doesn't waste a lot of time and manages to wrap it up in three books instead of dragging it on for an extra two factored in also. To me Sparhawk is the better lead and the background characters around him are a bit more flushed out. (Ze End: Takes a bow :rolleyes: )

Just remember I'm not even that big of an Eddings fan my choice to beat the Belgariad back with a stick would be with the original dishwasher Wart from The Once and Future King by T.H. White now that was a series. Though aimed for a bit younger audience for something a bit higher on the reading scale volume one through three of The Legends Of Camber Of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz might be your pace. Or any of the books/series I'll toss below here in truly no particular order just as the pop into the old noggin hopefully you'll see something you might enjoy:

The Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
The Flight Of Michael McBride - Midori Snyder
The Dreamstone - C.J. Cherryh
Dark Crusade - Karl Edward Wagner
Jirel of Joiry - C.L. Moore
Rusalka - C.J. Cherryh
Magician - Raymond E. Feist (The first was the best the rest are just good for skimming to check up on the main two characters.)
God Stalk - P.C. Hodgell
Hart's Hope - Orson Scott Card
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen R. Donaldson
Swords And Deviltry - Fritz Leiber
The Elric Saga - Michael Moorcock
Prince Ombra - Roderick MacLeish
Frostwing - Richard A. Knaack
The Memory, Thorn & Sorrow Trilogy - Tad Williams
Running With The Demon - Terry Brooks

Now on to the topic at hand my five choices would be:

1. Andre Norton
2. Michael Moorcock
3. C.J. Cherryh
4. Mercedes Lackey
5. Philp Pullman

This is hard! The list changes every time I read a new book!

1) William Goldman
2) J.R.R. Tolkien
3) T.H. White
4) Michael Ende
5) Tad Williams

Mine would be

1. Raymond E. Feist
2. Stephen Donaldson
3. Janny Wurts
4. Tolkein
5. Robert Jordan

To be honest those are about the only ones I have read. I have this diesease where I don't like to try new things so I just read the same books over and over because I think its better to read a book I know is good than take a chance on a new one. I started reading fantasy when my dad gave me The Hobbit then of course LOTR. After that he gave me Magician so I read all Feists stuff then due to the Empire series Wurts co-authored with Feist I started reading her stuff then dad gave me Lord Foul's Bane so I read that and other Donaldson stuff and one of my friends was a huge Jordan fan so I read wheel of time. I don't know how old you other people are but I am only 18 so I have plenty of time rectify the situation and get everything that the fantasy genre has to offer.

I haven't read much fantasy, although I've got some people queued up (Stephan Donaldson in particular), but I'll list the two favorites I have so far:

1) Robert Holdstock
2) Philip Pullman

Robert Holdstock wrote Mythago Wood and Lavondyss, the latter being an absolute masterpiece in my amateur opinion. I want to read it over and over, it's just so beautiful.

I never would have thought I had 5 favorites and yet here they are.
1.George RR Martin
2.Melanie Rawn
3.Guy Gavriel Kay
4.CS Friedman
5.Raymond E Feist

That was sure hard...
1) Terry Goodkind
2) Eoin Colfer
3) J.K. Rowling
4) Terry Pratchett
5) Robin Hobb

This list changes as I'm introduced to different authors. One year ago I didn't even know who SE was.

1. George RR Martin
2. Robin Hobb
3. Stephen Donaldson
4. Steven Erikson
5. Anne McCafferty

Honorable Mention: David Eddings and Terry Brooks. I actually liked the Belgraid series and I thouroughly enjoyed the Landover series.

1)Orson Scott Card
2)JRR Tolkien
3)Elizabeth Haydon
4)CS Lewis
5)Edward Eager

#5 may write kid books, but they're funny, hard to find that in fantasy nowdays.

Back