• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favourite Reading Places

I'm silent while in the car...its kind of my thinking time and I just get in a trance. My poor husband has to deal with this...I think its because I was an only child and didn't have many other ways to occupy myself on trips, so I just daydreamed. Riding in a car just makes my mind active.

VTChEwbecca said:
I'm silent while in the car...its kind of my thinking time and I just get in a trance. My poor husband has to deal with this...I think its because I was an only child and didn't have many other ways to occupy myself on trips, so I just daydreamed. Riding in a car just makes my mind active.

Somethimes I do that, if Iam on my own in my car, I have to concentrate while I am driving. In someone's car, I always daydreams!! Bit of escapist! :)

Me and my parents always used to go on skiing trips when I was younger, big 9 hour drives to and from, I'd spend them all reading. Back then I was mostly into Goosebumps with the quality, blobby covers, could read 2 or 3 every trip, as well as few magazines. Even had to bring a torch and a big, thick blanket with me so I could read at nightime without distracted the old man while he was driving. Those were the days etc...

I try only to read in bed in the evening when it's near time to go to sleep, otherwise I'll fall asleep in the middle of the day and then not be able to sleep well that night.

I read in the lunch room at work if there's not too much going on that will distract me. Used to read on the bus on my way to and from work, but now I have to drive.

On nice days, I read outside on the deck. The rest of the time, I read downstairs on the sofa.

I do most of my reading in bed, and in the bus to and from the University.

And sometimes, just sometimes, I treat myself to an entire sunday, curled up on the couch, hot coco within arm's reach, good music in the background, and a great book in my hand; no better way to spend a sunday!

Cheers, Martin :D

I'm still a bed-bath-train-couch girl. The only downside to reading on the train is the noise, cause unlike you, Martin, things have to be quiet for me...

Martin said:
And sometimes, just sometimes, I treat myself to an entire sunday, curled up on the couch, hot coco within arm's reach, good music in the background, and a great book in my hand; no better way to spend a sunday!

Indeed, that sounds like a fantastic Sunday....I had the hot cocoa part down today, but I was reading notes for class...not quite the same
;)

The British Library, Tate Gallery Tea Rooms, various quiet pubs, in bed, in the bath, on the toilet, heck I'll read almost anywhere if I can get away with it - however, one place I can't read, is out in an open space, I can never get comfortable enough even in fine weather.

This may sound weird, but I've never felt comfortable reading in a library. Getting my books there, sure, but actually sitting down and forgetting all around you? Maybe the enormous amount of books there throws me, or maybe I feel guilty for picking just one (or five) book over the rest of them? It just doesn't feel right.

Originally posted by Lies:
unlike you, Martin, things have to be quiet for me...
Not for me, I love music while I'm reading, especially in the bus, because it blocks out all the noises (real noises) around me.

Originally posted by Chewbecca:
I had the hot cocoa part down today, but I was reading notes for class...not quite the same
Not quite, no. :(

Anyway, glad to be seeing more of you Lies, haven't seen you around much of late (or haven't I been paying attention?). Welcome back!

Well, in my room I have a little corner next to my bedside table and desk, where i keep pillows and piles of blankets and clothes, normally when I'm in the mood to read I just flop down there, bury myself under the clothes, pillows and blnkets while I read. That's also where I write in my diary.
*sigh* I wish I could read in the tub, I wish I had a tub to read in, but, having only showers makes getting a relaxing bath rather difficult.
..by the way... I'm back. Sorry I've been gone :p

Good to have you back!

And did you change your avatar? you used to have a chicken, right?

Or am I mad?

Thankies, yea, I changed it, for the moment I really don't know what I want for my av, so I might be changing it around until I find something new I like, or give up and go back to the red hen :)

Martin said:
Not for me, I love music while I'm reading, especially in the bus, because it blocks out all the noises (real noises) around me.
The noises on the bus/train/sub do tend to get annoying sometimes, but I've noticed that I'm a lot less focused on my reading when I'm listening to music. Besides, I have to keep an eye out for the ticket man anyway, so I can't really plug my discman in... I have a tendency not to hear anything when it's on, and the ticket men don't like that.

Martin said:
Anyway, glad to be seeing more of you Lies, haven't seen you around much of late (or haven't I been paying attention?). Welcome back!

Ah, yes, I'm back with a vengeance, I'd say. I'm still busy as hell, but these new fora are so pretty, and I just have to check back regularly now... ;)

Back