• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Feather Black

third man girl

RaVeN, I admit that I was hurt last night, but in no way was it your fault; my mind simply went derelict for a moment.

RaVeN said:
I was simply remarking that we could all tell when you're here even if we couldn't SEE that you're here.

Those were the loneliest words I had ever felt. They chilled me. I wonder, sometimes, if you are all gathered in a room, and I am just a shadow amongst you?

The Poet, and his bl**dy ghosts!

[btw, this poem is not an offering, merely a peace-offering ;)]

Thank you for inspiring it.

Feather Black

A feather floats
black, to the floor
A girl snarls
and bites
A table stretches wooden hard
along its length I writhe
And tantalise

An empty chair
Am I sitting there,
Or am I a wraith
Half-dead in life?

I curl and wend
a misery of blue through
locks of hair and
turn black to grey
with a fingertip daub
A whispered warning
of a chill bliss

I swirl on your lap
And straddle and grind
I tighten my lips and
Suck the breath
From you in a racking
Spasm
Of molten ice

Third Man Girl

This isn't fair. I've only read it 4 times and must head off to work. I could spend the rest of the afternoon re-reading it and discovering something new about both of us every time.

I don't know what to say other than I'm touched, I'm deeply, deeply moved and I'll be forever sorry that I upset you and I won't do it again (today :D )

Bill

third man girl said:
I wonder, sometimes, if you are all gathered in a room, and I am just a shadow amongst you?

I think you're almost there. But imagine instead of just a plain old room, it's a padded cell and we're all heavily medicated. Apart from the endless supply of crayons it's nothing to be jealous of. Especially as Wabbit keeps eating all the orange ones. :mad:

I did try to pm you yesterday, but I guess you have it switched off. It's because I'm stalking you isn't it?

Litany said:
I did try to pm you yesterday, but I guess you have it switched off.

I sat in a frozen stupor for several thousand moments last night, trying to think of a response that didn't sound too melodramatic, huffy, corny, overreactive, or self-pitying. Meanwhile I had you offering yourself to me, sporks at the ready; RaVeN kicking pebbles at my front door; and a Wabbit bouncing in my brain shouting 'bumholes'. It was all very distracting. Just when I thought of something to say, Ashlea jumped in with her three-inch heels, and shooed us all away.

Thanks for trying to pm me :) but I always have it switched off - which is stupid, I know :(

Third Man Girl

No, no, no, no, I shooed the rest of them out (or attempted to), you promised me Viggoean poetry, so that's all right.

I was going to call your poetic voice there a lamia, but I realized that by strictest definition you might not take it as a compliment, so be assured I meant it in a beautiful seductress (unfortunately life-sucking) Keatsian way, not the traditional ugly serpent vampire way.

Ashlea said:
No, no, no, no, I shooed the rest of them out (or attempted to), you promised me Viggoean poetry, so that's all right.

Oh! I've left it over in the other thread, the one I thought you'd shooed me out of :)

Ashlea said:
I was going to call your poetic voice there a lamia, but I realized that by strictest definition you might not take it as a compliment, so be assured I meant it in a beautiful seductress (unfortunately life-sucking) Keatsian way, not the traditional ugly serpent vampire way.

Ashlea, I am so jealous of your knowledge. If there was a choice of being rich, famous or intelligent, I would opt for intelligence every time.

Thanks for explaining my poem to me :) :)

I only know that I dreamed it up as I drove home from my final (2 period!) hockey game this weekend, (with a black bird pecking angrily in my mind). I really must get a dictaphone for the car. Pencils, paper, speed cameras and steering wheels do not sit happily together!

Third Man Girl

aw, shucks. :eek: nothing to it but those lovely years in college, griping about how much those awful professors expected me to read with the intensity only a 20 year old can muster.

I put in my 8 hours and your work haunted me through most. Don't ask me why but all I could picture was Stevie Nicks twirling through lace shawls and directing her anguish toward an empty chair.

(one messed up) RaVeN

Since I wasn't on the board much this weekend, Writer, I guess I missed out on what made you so angry. Certainly, as a good writer, you were able to convey that quite well in your poem (to say the least). It really gave me goosebumps. That last stanza especially. I love your poetry when you just let it fly like that. :)

The Poet, and his bl**dy ghosts!

I'm sorry if I did anything to contribute to your anger. It certainly wasn't intentional. :(

tugger said:
I'm sorry if I did anything to contribute to your anger. It certainly wasn't intentional.

The reference to ghosts was because I told you once that I couldn't relate to ghosts in poems. Then I found myself almost becoming one, and writing as one!

I wasn't angry with you (although mildly upset that you weren't around when I needed back-up :( )

[And I think RaVeN secretly enjoyed having his feathers ruffled, don't you? ;)]

Third Man Girl

third man girl said:
The reference to ghosts was because I told you once that I couldn't relate to ghosts in poems. Then I found myself almost becoming one, and writing as one!

I wasn't angry with you (although mildly upset that you weren't around when I needed back-up :( )

Thanks for explaining. I was worried that I had hurt your feelings or something. Sorry, I wasn't around when you wanted me to be. Like I explained in another thread, I had quite a weekend. But I'm certainly glad that you seem to be feeling less freaked. :) Btw- Your poem (you know which one ;) ) completely blew me away this morning! :) (that's a good thing ;)) Also, I like your new signature, even though I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for your old one.

And I think RaVeN secretly enjoyed having his feathers ruffled, don't you? ;)

I'm sure he enjoyed every second of it. Raven's a good guy. :)

third man girl said:
[And I think RaVeN secretly enjoyed having his feathers ruffled, don't you? ;)]

*Ahem*

I heard that you know.

Just because it's past midnight everyone thinks this is blast the bird out of his tree day :rolleyes:

What, I'm supposed to have wings of steel?

RaVeN
PS- thanks tugger ;)

RaVeN said:
Just because it's past midnight

If it's past midnight you should be tucked up in your little nest :)

btw, I have a single crow's nest in a tree in my garden, so if you ever need a stopover some night . . . ;)

[I think it must belong to a loner crow, which is why I don't get rid of the nest. It must be quite sad being a loner crow :( :( :( ]

Third Man Girl

Speaking of sad crows...I have a number of bird feeders in my back yard. I went to fill them up a short time ago and found the feathery remains of one that was obviously eaten by one of the local falcons that hang around my house. :(

Since I draw in the birds with food for the falcons to attack am I considered an accessory to murder? :eek:

RaVeN
(she doesn't need your help with this one Litany) :p

third man girl said:
If it's past midnight you should be tucked up in your little nest :)

btw, I have a single crow's nest in a tree in my garden, so if you ever need a stopover some night . . . ;)

[I think it must belong to a loner crow, which is why I don't get rid of the nest. It must be quite sad being a loner crow :( :( :( ]

Third Man Girl

In other words you want me to come to your place so you can hook me up with another lone bird huh? :rolleyes:

Do I appear that pathetic to you? :(

RaVeN
(can you draw me a map? I get lost easily) :eek:

tugger said:
Btw- Your poem (you know which one ;) ) completely blew me away this morning! :)

Well, yours was amazing. And you know why? Not only because I adore it as a poem in its own right, and also because it is so personal, but because I had lain in bed that morning (hence the sheets) and begun to write mine for you . . . So, I hadn't even seen yours when I started to write mine. :)

Your second one was nice. Comforting but less warming. I like warm. Warm, warm. I hope we're still playing our mind games? ;)

tugger said:
Also, I like your new signature, even though I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for your old one.

I'd written the viaduct one myself, so maybe you sensed the mood. I have a passionate love of viaducts, in a way that some women are passionate about handbags. There was one at either end of the town where I grew up. One was convenient for death plunges, but the other was beautiful. Red sandstone arches over a wide river. Trees, grassy parks, wild teenagers. You know the scene . . .

The Kate Bush lyrics are from my favourite song of hers. It inspired a character of mine. I believe she wrote it about an older man she was in love with? I only learned that fairly recently.
However, I had read into the line 'the man with the child in his eyes' another meaning. I developed the character of a youth who had to fit in with older gang members. He doesn't yet look at the world through the eyes of an adult.

I see you have changed your own signature again :cool:

Third Man Girl

RaVeN said:
Since I draw in the birds with food for the falcons to attack am I considered an accessory to murder? :eek:

So, one minute you're telling us you take pot shots at the birds with a 'BB' gun (whatever that is - Boys' Brigade, Big B*gger, Bird Blaster?), and now you're telling us you feed them.

Are you a reformed character, RaVeN?

Third Man Girl

third man girl said:
Well, yours was amazing. And you know why? Not only because I adore it as a poem in its own right, and also because it is so personal, but because I had lain in bed that morning (hence the sheets) and begun to write mine for you . . . So, I hadn't even seen yours when I started to write mine. :)

I wondered if that was the case. I wrote yours in bed Saturday night. I didn't get hardly any sleep. The lines just kept coming to me. I didn't have a notebook handy to write them down and I was afraid if I got up and turned on the lights, I would completely lose the flow. So, I just kept laying there repeating the first lines (so as not to forget them) as the later lines would come. Hence, no sleep. But, hey, it certainly was nice spending the night with you. :)

Your second one was nice. Comforting but less warming. I like warm. Warm, warm.

Probably because I wrote it in third person. That made it seem not so personal. That one I wrote the very moment after I read yours. I wrote it in, like, five minutes tops.

I hope we're still playing our mind games? ;)

I hope so too. Although I know we appear pretty sickening to everyone else on the board. They're probably thinking, "Why don't they just get a room?" :D

but the other was beautiful. Red sandstone arches over a wide river. Trees, grassy parks, wild teenagers. You know the scene . . .

You say 'was.' Is it not there anymore? In what part of Scotland do you live? I must admit, I know little about your country, but I looked at some websites and much of the scenery was very beautiful. I do like the accent Scots have when they talk. If I heard you reading one of your poems, I'd probably just dissolve into goosh. :)

I see you have changed your own signature again :cool:

Again, after I read your poem this morning. I love dark hair and green eyes. ;)

Back