• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

February 2012: Agatha Christie: Death on the Nile

I love the opening to this book - the introduction by Christie that is of Death on the Nile being written after herself having returned from a winter in Egypt, and of the rich life aboard a Nile cruiser. If any doubt that this is a romantically inclined novel, such is disposed of promptly here, as the clear love and passion for travel and such foreign climes and settings is declared by the great author.

I just adored the use of the term épris to describe Lord Windlesham in the Social column of the Daily Blague.

I grew up watching David Suchet playing Poirot, he inhabited him so well there never seemed any reason to check out the literary origin of the character, which I know sounds like blasphemy coming from a reader. Until you, Will, with your wiles(willes) offered Agatha Christie up for the book of the month.
It was a quick read and passed my train journey nicely. There's really not much else I can say because it's not bad, just an odd postcard version of Wings of the Dove in some ways. Travel lust aside, not sure the melodramatics were good enough to warrant this month's Romance theme. Unless we're talking about Poirot's relationship with his little grey cells, in which case the romance is palpable.

Like eclair, I also don't think Death on the Nile falls under the romance genre.

That being said, Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors and I loved this book. I love locked room mysteries when you know the killer can't be an outsider. I think these are probably the most difficult ones to write because you have to create enough motives, suspicious circunstances and compromising alibis to keep the readers suspecting everyone.

The way the author slowly builds the athmosphere around Linnet Ridgeway is superb. Even though she clearly states at the beggining she doesn't have an enemy in the world, we can sense otherwise. Plenty of people hate, envy or despise her.

I must admit even though I suspected the "who", I was totally clueless about the "why" and "how".

Back