• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fiction involving animals (and deffo not in a rude way!)

Life of Pi has some good use of animals... Novella has a short story developing in the "Writer's Showcase" area... Why not re-read Animal Farm, Watership Down, or even Charlotte's Web? Man, there's not that many books based on animals, is there?

Just a few off the top of my head.

The Jungle Book and The Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling are classics.

The Cold Moons by Aeron Clement is pretty good. Basically Watership Down with Badgers.

Tarka the Otter by Henry Williamson is another classic. Makes me cry though.

Richard Adams also wrote Shardik which is about a bear. Struggled with this one though.

Of Course there is always the Narnia stories by C.S Lewis. Lots of animals in them!

Someone above mentioned they didn't think you were looking for 'cat detective' type books, but I still have to recommend Shirley Rousseau Murphy's series about Joe Grey. This author really knows how cats think, (IMHO) and puts it across in a funny and interesting way. But you must start at the beginning of the series. There are 9 now, with a 10th coming out in a few months.

These cats talk, but only the main characters. It is not implied that all animals can talk and understand. Just certain ones. A mystery is in each story, plus a strain of romance between certain ones and a mystery of why these cats are the way they are which slowly unfolds over the course of the series. Ms. Murphy has her own web site. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the link, but its under joe grey.

also, i forgot to mention, there is a book called Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye. i'm pretty sure it's the type of book you're looking for, although i haven't read it yet.

Have you tried the new Beatrix Potter Mysteries, by Susan Wittig Albert? Very cute-gentle mysteries, with Beatrix Potter starring, as well as many animals who talk and have their own adventures. The first is The Tale of Hill Top Farm, and the second one, which came out in July, is The Tale of Holly How. There is going to be 8 in the series. I love them!

I've not read the book you mentioned nor did I see the film. I can only presently think of:

Duncton Tales - William Horwood. As best as I can remember it's a bit like Lord of the Rings but it is entirely based on animals - moles play the main characters. I believe Horwood did a series of them.

He also wrote The Wolves of Time - another series of books. It follows the path taken by a pack of wolves on a mission - to take back thier ancient homeland.

Back