• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fiction involving animals (and deffo not in a rude way!)

magemanda

Forgive the title....

What I'm actually after is recommendations for books that principally involve animals a la Watership Down.

Has anyone got anything that would cover this and, if so, why are you recommending it?

Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. It's an excellent novel! I just love it to bits! :D

Yeah, that's a good one :)

Actually, Chewie, have you read that one? It's about cats who go on an adventure :)

SillyWabbit said:
Yeah, that's a good one :)

Actually, Chewie, have you read that one? It's about cats who go on an adventure :)

Not yet, but its been recommended here before and I plan on finding it when I get the chance. Dang grad school takes up all my time :rolleyes:

Watership Down is the first one (and only one) that sprung to mind.

What about Richard Adams' other books? Didn't he write a few in the similar vein of Watership Down? I haven't tried them, so I can't really recommend them.

The Redwall series by Brian Jacques is great. There are about 10 volumes, great character development, all animals. My son tore through them when he was 11 or so.

marlasinger said:
Watership Down is the first one (and only one) that sprung to mind.

What about Richard Adams' other books? Didn't he write a few in the similar vein of Watership Down? I haven't tried them, so I can't really recommend them.

He also wrote Tales from Watership Down, which was basically a continuation of the story.

Nearest I've got to this is Fluke by James Herbert. The main character is a dog; everyone else is human...

novella said:
The Redwall series by Brian Jacques is great. There are about 10 volumes, great character development, all animals. My son tore through them when he was 11 or so.

The Redwall series get's tiring though. I used to read it when I was younger and I was a huge fan. When I tried to pick up the books again a few years later it wasn't the same. The plots are all basically the same and the characters are pretty flat. If you read the FAQ section on his website he even says that he's not interested in changing his forumulaic approach.

novella said:

I'm trying to con my 13-year-old son to into reading this with me. He's too locked into Harry Potter!!!

Let him stay locked in Harry Potter, he'll eventually move into greater authors like Diane Duane and Robert Jordan because of it (not to say Rowling isn't wonderful in her own right.)

My brother used to read good novels, ones I selected for him. After he read Redwall because one of his friends recommended it he hasn't read anything worthwhile since I managed to thrust Ender's Game on him.

Wind in the Willows comes to mind. There's also a bundle of cat detective novels out there, but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

If you like animal stories, and this is a bit off beat, I would highly recommend The Cat That Came in From the Cold by Deric Longden. Hilarious! It's biographical, but if you love cats this one will make you snort milk out your nose when you read it. You have been warned! :D

Gavin Maxwell ...Ring of Bright Water ..
A tale I read a long time ago, set in the West Highlands about a man and his two otters; Mijbil and Edal. Even if you have seen the film, the book is still worth a read
The Horse Whisper by Nicholas Evans.
The story of a thirteen-year old girl and her horse Pilgrim and how they survive after a terrible accid which leaves them both physically and emotionally traumatized. It is a story of love, courage and strength. It was also a film, but the book has its differences.
The Loop also by Nicholas Evans
Set in the Rocky Mountain ranching town of Hope, Montana it is the story of wolves. A pack, now protected by law as an endangered species, returns to a place where once wolves were slaughtered in their thousands. A 29 year old woman biologist is sent to protect the wolves and is helped by an eighteen-year-old man.
Call of the Wold by Jack London...
A large dog is taken from his home in the city to the wilds of Alaska to become a sled dog. It is a cruel and savage world where he has to fight for survival until he meets a man he learns to trust and love.
I'm not sure if these are what you wanted, not exactly Watership Down although that had its harsh moments too, but read the dustjackets, give them a try. They all took a unique walk into the animal world, I loved them.

I'm not sure Cujo is my thing! But thanks to everyone for your many and varied suggestions - definitely a number of those will be added to my reading list!

'Fool on the Hill' by Matt Ruff features some cats and dogs, too.. and a lot of other cool characters. Really fun to read!

What about Terry Pratchett? I liked 'The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents' quite a lot, although I'm usually not a fan of him.

I'd definitely second Watership Down, I loved this book.

there's a very good short story called "Menagerie, a Child's Fable" about animals who are abandoned in a pet shop, i kind of has a lord of the flies type feel, except with animals. it's very good. Charles Johnson wrote it.

Beware, I haven't yet read this book but it's on my TBR list. It's called Frisco Pigeon Mambo by C. D. Payne. It's about a group of laboratory pigeons, who think they are basically human, and are unwillingly freed by an animal rights group. They must somehow survive in the middle of the city, and they plot ways to return to the lab. Supposed to be really funny!

Another novel is by Orson Scott Card, called Lovelock (which I've read and liked). It's about a genetically enhanced monkey that is kept by a family in the future as a kind of semi-intelligent slave. The monkey's outlook on life goes from complacent to despairing as he realizes that he wants to control his own destiny, and to no longer be a slave. This is obviously something more serious.

Back