• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fiction Suggestion

LiteraryAddict

Hi All,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a book that is set on a beach or lake. I don't want "chick lit". Something with a good story and great characters. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Quirky Book Nerd
Literary Addicted

Fiction Set in New England

Hi Fellow Fiction Lovers,

I'm looking for a book set in New England. It can be any time period but I'm looking for something with great character development and plot.

Thanks!!

Quirky Book Nerd
Literary Addicted

Most of John Irving's work is set in New England. I can recommend The World According to Garp and A Widow for One Year (although the latter book partly takes place in Europe). Most of Stephen King's books are set in New England, specifically Maine. Now if you're looking to read some "classic" literature, consider trying some of Nathaniel Hawthorne's writings.

If you want a long, but really great read, try The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Chronicles the Boston police strike in 1919 and it is an enthralling story full of interesting characters.
Just about everything Lehane writes is set in Boston and most of it is pretty good.

If you want a long, but really great read, try The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Chronicles the Boston police strike in 1919 and it is an enthralling story full of interesting characters.
Just about everything Lehane writes is set in Boston and most of it is pretty good.

The Given Day is Great! :star5: Rating

I likeditalot.
Happy to see they are making it into a movie, but I don't know about Sam Raimi directing..... Would have rather seen Eastwood or maybe even Ben Affleck (he's directed some pretty great Boston based movies)

I am currently reading 'The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, it is definitely set in New England, and so far quite engaging, particularly the intro, where he paints colorful portraits of custom officers, almost as laid back and uninterested in their work, as would be their current counterparts.

Back