• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Film adaptions in the works

Ashlea

From MSN Entertainment news:

Two beloved literary works are getting the Hollywood treatment. Variety reports Barry Sonnenfeld will direct and produce a big screen adaptation of Don DeLillo's darkly comic 1985 novel "White Noise," while the Hollywood Reporter says Gabriel Garcia Marquez has pocketed $1 million against nearly $3 million from Stone Village Pictures for the rights to his 1985 classic "Love in the Time of Cholera."

In related adaptation news, Variety says Mike Nichols has picked up the screen rights to Carl Hiaasen's best-selling new novel "Skinny Dip," which he'll direct and produce. The story features an uncommon (well, for Hollywood, at least) lead character -- a smart, strong, and sexy thirty-something woman. Jennifer Aniston, call your agent.

Discuss, particularly, Love in the Time of Cholera.

i havent read that one, i have it but its like plan b, i have some books that i know are good, but i keep them for when i have nothing else good to read.

but now that i see the title in english, im a little curious about a detail, does the novel happens during a cholera epidemy? or has something to do with cholera (sickness, or does cholera has another meaning in english?) :confused: cause there could be something funny about the translation

Same as mr michel about having read Love in the Time of Cholera. Every time I get started, something else comes up. Still was very excited when I read about the upcoming film. Particularly because it hadn't clicked in my head yet that the guy was still alive :eek:

Ashlea said:
Hollywood Reporter says Gabriel Garcia Marquez has pocketed $1 million against nearly $3 million from Stone Village Pictures for the rights to his 1985 classic "Love in the Time of Cholera."

Well, since he had been dying of cancer for some time he better hurry up and spend that money. Not that, i'm sure, he actually needs it!

As for the movie: maybe it will be good but I am just not interested in seeing that. I prefer the movie in my head ;) Even if the book is beautiful, for me, it won't match the beauty of Marquez's prose. I do hope they make a good version though as it's a great story and it would be great for people that have not read the book or simply don't read to see it :)

i havent read that one, i have it but its like plan b, i have some books that i know are good, but i keep them for when i have nothing else good to read.

but now that i see the title in english, im a little curious about a detail, does the novel happens during a cholera epidemy? or has something to do with cholera (sickness, or does cholera has another meaning in english?) cause there could be something funny about the translation

No, don't think there is something funny about the translation. The story takes place on an island which, at this point in history, is ravaged by the cholera virus. Also, at this point in history, the world is also ravaged by the cholera epidemic. The love story is set against this back story and this moment in time and so the title makes perfect sense ( in English anyway )

Love in the time of cholera - a story set in the time of cholera. :)

Back