• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Films about writers

Thelma

For some time I've been trying to get " Sylvia", a film about the American writer Sylvia Plath, /it seems Gwenyth Paltrow plays very well and is perfect for the role, the film is focused on her relationship with poet Ted Hugues, maybe you know the story. And I've been wondering, how many good films about writers are there? :rolleyes:
About their life, their style, their way of getting inspiration, etc. I mean big screen films, not TV mini series. European films or Hollywood hits like " Shakespeare in Love". I liked " The Hours" a lot, the film in which Nicole Kidman plays Virginia Wolf, she is great and the story line, several time lines all united by one thing, Mrs. Dalloway, quite interesting.
What other films about writers do you know and like? I'm trying to come back with more examples myself.
Ooops, I guess this should have been in the film/TV area, well, never mind. :D

I saw Sylvia and enjoyed it; it also inspired me to finally finish Ted Hughes's Birthday Letters.

I suppose you could say the 2 films about Hunter S. Thompson would qualify: Where the Buffalo Roam and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Isn't there coming a film about the author of Peter Pan? I think it's called Finding Neverland and the trailer was gorgeous. :D

top.pirates.miramax.jpg

Nelly et Monsieur Arnaud

with Emmanuelle Beart :)

A couple of Stephen King adaptations:

Secret Window, Secret Garden
The Shining
The Dark Half

Another I can think of: Shadowlands

"Finding Forrester" is based on a true story, but I don't know which author is actually being portrayed. It's a very good movie, though.

Thelma said:
For some time I've been trying to get " Sylvia", a film about the American writer Sylvia Plath, /it seems Gwenyth Paltrow plays very well and is perfect for the role, the film is focused on her relationship with poet Ted Hugues, maybe you know the story. And I've been wondering, how many good films about writers are there? :rolleyes:
About their life, their style, their way of getting inspiration, etc. I mean big screen films, not TV mini series. European films or Hollywood hits like " Shakespeare in Love". I liked " The Hours" a lot, the film in which Nicole Kidman plays Virginia Wolf, she is great and the story line, several time lines all united by one thing, Mrs. Dalloway, quite interesting.
What other films about writers do you know and like? I'm trying to come back with more examples myself.
Ooops, I guess this should have been in the film/TV area, well, never mind. :D

I liked "The Hours"! It was one of my favorite films. I liked Meryl Streeple-spelling? more than Nicole Kidman. Virginia Wolf seemed to me was such a tragic figure that i always wondered what made her choose to committ suicide, why she gave up, why she could not stick to life? etc...

I once watched a flim that was about a writer, but could not get the chance to know its title, since i started from the middle part. It was about a male writer who had a car accident and harmed his legs/ or feet? He was luckily rescured by a woman who loved to read his novels. But things changed, that this woman started to tormet him, and force him to write according to her own will. There was a detail that she struck his legs/feet with hammer or something?

anyway, that was what i could remember. anyone knows which one i was talking about? :confused:

watercrystal, the film is Misery. It is based on a Stephen King novel.

Finding Forester: could be based on Salinger, but he has written more than one book, he lives in New Hampshire and has orgies. It could be based on Pynchon, but he has also written more than one book.

Wonder Boys, is about a writer/professor.

Storytelling, the first story is about a bunch of writer/students.

Back