• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fireworks

Rincewind said:
Surely 1 person injured by a firework is too many.

So what do we do with bicycles, and tricycles, and roller skates and ice skates and rollerblades and skateboards and cars and trains and airplanes..........

Fireworks are totally unecessary, they serve no purpose whatsoever. whereas the other things you mention do.
Yes even roller skates, I have a colleague who rollerskates to work. :D

Here, we are not allowed to have fireworks anytime. Only on national day when they are put up by some professionals.

What about sticks with burning sparks?

Rincewind said:
Fireworks are totally unecessary, they serve no purpose whatsoever. whereas the other things you mention do.

Who gets to decide what's neccessary and what is not?

A bicycle is totally un-neccessary....we have cars, busses, taxis, trains and airplanes, not to mention motorcycles, scooters, and those new personal transit thing-a-ma-bobs that have two wheels.......

What about alcohol...that's totally un-neccessary, and how many people are injured and killed because of drinking? Way more than fireworks...and what about smoking?

Rincewind said:
Bicyles are not unecessary :confused:

says who.....I could easily live the rest of my life without ever riding a bicycle again...tell me why a bicycle is a neccessity.....

And what I want to know is what will happen when the "powers that be" are allowed to say what is necessary and what isn't?

I guess it's okay as long as they are banning things that you don't like, but what about when "they" start banning things that impact YOU?!

I paraphrase Mr. Ben Franklin here:

"Those who would give up liberty for a measure of safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!"

Rincewind said:

Fireworks are fun, making fireworks creates jobs, and some charities make money from their sales. How much more necessary do they need to be?

Can I get a big

UUUUHHHH - RRRAHHHHHH

go boys....go boys...go boys.....

girls just never understand the importance of a good bang.....I mean gunpowder....do they..... :D

If people want to injure and kill themselves doing dangerous things like skiing or whatever, let them get on with it. makes no difference to me and it means there are less stupid people in the world. And no, i don't mean to say that people who go skiing are stupid, just the ones who don't know what the hell they are doing. fireworks, when in the hands of idiots can affect other people. and so does smoking and it should be banned right now in all places on penalty of death. maybe.

Kenny Shovel said:
What about paper cuts? Should we all abandon reading for fear of them?

You got it, Kenny. Books are unsafe, they contribute to deforestation, and are completely unnecessary.

CDA said:
when in the hands of idiots can affect other people.

________________when in the hands of idiots can effect other people.

So exactly how many things can we fill in the blank with besides fireworks?
Where do you start and where do you stop?
Who decides?

I say any book that's big enough, and heavy enough, to break an infants toe or finger, when dropped from a height of more than 24 inches should be banned from all society.

CDA said:
If people want to injure and kill themselves doing dangerous things like skiing or whatever, let them get on with it. makes no difference to me and it means there are less stupid people in the world. And no, i don't mean to say that people who go skiing are stupid, just the ones who don't know what the hell they are doing. fireworks, when in the hands of idiots can affect other people. and so does smoking and it should be banned right now in all places on penalty of death. maybe.

Many things in the hands of idiots can cause injury or death of the innocent. That includes skiing, skydiving, driving cars, flying planes or many other things. Who decides where the line is drawn?

Are there actually numbers available here? How many people are actually injured or worse each year from fireworks? Is there really reason for concern?

Motokid said:
________________when in the hands of idiots can effect other people.

So exactly how many things can we fill in the blank with besides fireworks?
Where do you start and where do you stop?
Who decides?

I say any book that's big enough, and heavy enough, to break an infants toe or finger, when dropped from a height of more than 24 inches should be banned from all society.

There are thoiusands of thngs and they should all be banned!

No - don't ban the books - ban infants!

:)

Back