• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First Time Writer in Need of Advice

Elexisar1

I am in need of some good advice. I am currently writing my first book, and I would like to know how to go about getting it published later on. I do not know where to begin my search for information. So, please, any and all help and advice are welcomed. Thank you!

Some important things to take into consideration before going directly to a publisher, however:

-Make sure to have your manuscript copy edited. Agencies and publishers alike will toss a manuscript aside if there are too many errors. They go through so many manuscripts every day that they simply don't have the time or energy to wade through something with many errors.
-Prepare a compelling query letter and synopsis. (Do this after the edit, as your manuscript may have undergone changes due to issues like inconsistencies that you may need to address before finishing the final draft.)
-Prepare a verbal pitch for your novel. You may run into an agent or publisher at an event, in which case you want to be able to describe your novel in one interesting sentence.
-Be prepared to get a lot of rejections but continue to persevere! The publishing world is fickle, and can really love something one minute and hate it the next, simply because it isn't what they're looking for _right now_. But persistence is key. Don't get discouraged. Just get right on out there looking for the next agent/publisher.

All of what jes6ica said is good + Network as much as you can. Get involved in writing groups. Get honest critiques from impartial sources.

And in the perseverence stakes, just remember everything is subjective... just because one agent or publisher says no, it doesn't mean your work isn't any good, it just means its not to their taste x

Back