• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fish

If it weren't for fish and shellfish I would probably starve. At times it is close to half of what I eat. In fact, tonight a friend and I are headed to the local fish place for some fried clams. Mmmmm. The fact that I am now two hours from salt water means I don't have the best fish options anymore, but I have a personal relationship with the fish guy at a locally owned market. He takes good care of me.

Canned chowder is not nearly as good as the real stuff. However, if you must eat the canned stuff, see if you can find Snows. I think the can is blue. Add some potatoes and some extra chopped clams (I think you can get those in a can too if you must). Then, a little bit of butter and dill. It really makes a difference.

Thick goopy clam chowder isn't real New England Clam Chowder. It is a recent trend based on what the average resturant goer (and probably canned soup buyer) wants. Real clam chowder is thin, and white. Sadly, it is getting harder to come by.

I love fish, yummy! :) I'm not allowed to eat them though because Ice gets queasy over heads and tails and fins and such :rolleyes:

I have never tried sushi, but I've heard that it is delicious if cooked properly.

Phil

phil_t said:
I love fish, yummy! :) I'm not allowed to eat them though because Ice gets queasy over heads and tails and fins and such :rolleyes:

I have never tried sushi, but I've heard that it is delicious if cooked properly.

Phil, it is nice to see you back again, if for nothing else because you're entertaining! :D

Well I was hoping you were going to say sophisticated, debonair and with an air of bourgeoisie class ... but I'll take entertaining :)

Phil

Yes to fish and the fresher the better!

Cockles too, happy childhood memories fo cockling on Tankerton beach at low tide, cooking them in the beach hut and sitting on the sea wall eating them for supper as the sun set

Miss Shelf said:
I read an article about mercury levels in fish, does that concern anyone, possibly keeping them from eating fish?
I have a scary story about that.

My aunt once put a Healthy Choice microwave fish dinner in the microwave to heat it up, and the fish started THROWING OFF SPARKS while it was cooking, because of the mercury level! She dumped it in the garbage and I don't think she's bought any more of those dinners...

For me personally, I really hate that seafood-y taste that goes will all fish and other kinds of seafood. I don't even like tuna or shrimp. Well, I tried coconut shrimp once and I liked it ok, but that was because I could hardly taste the shrimp itself through all the breading.

I really dislike seafood :( I will consent to eating a little bit of Sole and may pick at Cod if Phil has some but that is all :(

novella said:
Sometimes for company I weave strips of salmon and a white flat fish like flounder together so it makes a checkerboard filet, which I serve gently poached with a leek and white wine sauce under it.
Can I come to your house for dinner? Sounds marvelous!

I love all kinds of fish and seafood and could eat sushi almost every day. Sometimes I think I'm pushing it with the mercury levels and all, but I figure at this stage of my life it can't do much more to my brain cells that hasn't already been done.

My favourite fish to cook for the family is poached salmon (wild of course), barely done so it's still very moist and tender, then finished off Chinese-style with onion, garlic, ginger, oil & soy.

I eat Fish several times a week.

I am particularly fond of Red Snapper, Scallops, and Salmon. Mahi-Mahi is also very good with a nice ginger glaze. He he he, my other hobby besides reading, is cooking. I cook every single night and fish is one of favorite things. Of course, in Florida getting fresh fish isn't an issue.

I also *love* Sushi. There are several very good Sushi houses near me. Mu husband and I go at least once every 2 weeks for sushi. The Eel sushi is the best!

phil_t said:
Well I was hoping you were going to say sophisticated, debonair and with an air of bourgeoisie class ... but I'll take entertaining :)

Well, if Ice is willing to put up with you on a permanant basis, you must be all those things as well.

KristoCat said:
I have a scary story about that.

My aunt once put a Healthy Choice microwave fish dinner in the microwave to heat it up, and the fish started THROWING OFF SPARKS while it was cooking, because of the mercury level! She dumped it in the garbage and I don't think she's bought any more of those dinners...

For me personally, I really hate that seafood-y taste that goes will all fish and other kinds of seafood. I don't even like tuna or shrimp. Well, I tried coconut shrimp once and I liked it ok, but that was because I could hardly taste the shrimp itself through all the breading.

KC, Sounds like you haven't had any good fresh seafood!

If it smells like fish, you probably shouldn't be eating it! Good, fresh seafood should not have a smell. The taste should not be "fishy".

Fresh shrimp do not smell or taste like fish. They should be firm and should "burst" in your mouth. If they are mushy, mealy, or smelly, they have been frozen - probably for a while!

If you need breading to hide the taste of shrimp, you have not had a fresh shrimp!

:D

KristoCat said:
I don't even like tuna...

It should be pointed out that tuna out of a can, or pouch, is not of the same planet as a fresh Tuna Steak. A fresh Tuna Steak cooked just right on the grill is lightyears away from what gets stuffed into those cans and pouches you buy at the grocery store. I'd be willing to bet they are actually from different fishes.....

leckert said:
KC, Sounds like you haven't had any good fresh seafood!
Leckert, actually I have... twice. I had shark and crab when I was in the caribbean once, and I didn't like them that much, but I didn't find them totally repugnant either. I think you're right about the smelliness and the "fishy" taste. The shark and crab in the caribbean didn't have that very much, but it still tasted slightly fishy to me, so I ate it but wouldn't ever ask for it again.

It's a little sad because I know (Healthy Choice dinners excepted) that you can get a lot of really good nutrition and good fats from seafood. Oh well I'll have to eat something else for that.

i've been staying away from fish ever since i saw my dad chop off the head off of one and a lot of green goo spurted out - disgusting memory.

Back