• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Football violence

ruby

Today a liverpool lad was giving 15yrs in a bulgarian jail for the attack on a barman,which happened when liverpool fc was playing the final of the champions league! His family has said the trial was a circus,and another man did confess to the attack which was throw out of court! As a liverpool fan my thoughts are you go to watch the match not to get in to fights! and is 15 yrs to long? what do you think?

What happened to the barman?
15 years over here is a life sentence. Yesterday someone was sentenced to 5 years for killing his wife.

ruby said:
Today a liverpool lad was giving 15yrs in a bulgarian jail for the attack on a barman,which happened when liverpool fc was playing the final of the champions league! His family has said the trial was a circus,and another man did confess to the attack which was throw out of court! As a liverpool fan my thoughts are you go to watch the match not to get in to fights! and is 15 yrs to long? what do you think?

Am I to understand that they gave the lad 15 years for an attack that another confessed too? If so, then any sentenance is too long. How bad was the barman injured?

This is the story bbc.com reported.

BBC.com said:

Liverpool fan jailed in Bulgaria

A Liverpool football fan has been jailed for 15 years for the attempted murder of a Bulgarian barman, despite another man admitting responsibility. Michael Shields, 18, from Wavertree, was accused of attacking the barman by throwing a brick at his head. Martin Georgiev, 25, suffered a fractured skull and may have brain damage, the Bulgarian court was told. On Saturday Graham Sankey, 20, an electrician from Anfield, Liverpool, said he carried out the attack. He made his statement in the UK through his solicitor David Kirwan. Sankey was said to be "in despair" that his confession did not prevent Shields' conviction.

Mr Kirwan said: "Graham believed the case against Michael would either be thrown or adjourned after he came forward to make his confession. "But, to his total despair, the judge decided to continue trying Michael."

'Quiet as a mouse'
Shields had been holidaying in the Black Sea resort of Varna after watching his team beat AC Milan in the Champions League Final in Istanbul in May. His uncle, Joey Graney, who was in court when the sentence was passed, said: "Michael was sobbing. He's an 18-year-old lad, quiet as a mouse, on his own, going back to a Bulgarian jail. What's he going to do? "As far as the Bulgarians were concerned, a local lad had been attacked and they wanted their scapegoat. "They did not care that Graham Sankey has confessed to carrying out the attack. They just tossed that aside."

Shields father Michael said: "Shocking news. It's just disbelief. "We thought with this statement going to Bulgaria admitting this crime, Michael would be on the first plane home today." He added: "We are going to do everything in our power to clear Michael's name."

'Best hope'
Another Liverpool fan, 19-year-old Anthony Wilson, was cleared of hooliganism but convicted of possession of cannabis. He was sentenced to two and a half years imprisonment with the sentence suspended, allowing him to return home. Stephen Jakobi, of pressure group Fair Trials Abroad, said Shields' best hope was for the British courts to prosecute Mr Sankey. He said: "Graham Sankey made a confession and said he was prepared to stand trial only in Britain, not in Bulgaria. "If he is convicted, perhaps that would persuade the Bulgarian courts that they have the wrong man. "The evidence of Graham Sankey's confession as it stood had no weight whatsoever. In fairness, it would not have had much weight with a British judge either."

'Verdict travesty'

Liverpool Riverside MP Louise Ellman, who has backed the Shields' family campaign, said it was a travesty of justice. "Graham Sankey has admitted he was guilty of the crime that Michael Shields is now convicted of, but he did so in a way that was inadmissible to the Bulgarian court," added Mrs Ellman, who said she would be talking to his defence team. She said she would be talking to the UK Government and Foreign Office. A Foreign Office spokesman said it could not comment on the verdict but said it would continue offering consular help to Michael Shields.
Graham Sankey's solicitor David Kirwan said his client was appalled by the verdict. Mr Kirwan said: "I have this morning contacted Michael's solicitors asking them to provide me with the prosecution's evidence and witness statements which I need to review as a matter of urgency." He added that the case had raised many concerns. "Given this background, what hope is there that Graham Sankey would receive a fair trial if he were ever to go before a court in Bulgaria?"

The barman had head injuries but will make a full recovery,the bulgarians have done the lad for attemped murder,its all over the local news,the other man who confessed stands by his story that it was him that attacked the barman :(

ruby said:
Today a liverpool lad was giving 15yrs in a bulgarian jail for the attack on a barman,which happened when liverpool fc was playing the final of the champions league!

Why a Bulgarian jail? :confused:

Edit: Now I know, he was on holiday. It wasn't when Liverpool were playing in the final at all.

stewart,reported in the liverpool echo this evening this was supposed to have happened when liverpool played the final,but as ever i never believe all thats written after all the press just want a story! There camped outside this kids parents home,why dont they back off and leave these people alone :(

ruby said:
stewart,reported in the liverpool echo this evening this was supposed to have happened when liverpool played the final

I was confused when I read your initial post as it mentioned Bulgaria which had nothing to do with the final since that was played in Istanbul, Turkey.

Then I read more of the post and saw the article which said he was on holiday after the final. So, to me, if the guy is on holiday then he is not "on tour" with Liverpool and the use of his football colours are redundant in the article.

i do agree with you stewart regarding football colours being redundant from this article,but the local radio,telly and newspapers are making this issue so big! :)

Back