• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

foreign films

leftcoastah

hey everyone,

i recently saw the movie Reconstruction, its a Swedish romantic drama and is amazing! its a great date movie about the challenges of true love.

you can check out the trailer here:
http://reconstructiondvd.com/

is anyone else into foreign movies? if so, which do you recommend?

INTACTO!!!

Go rent it now.

It's based in a world of super lucky people who live their lives by gambling with their luck. The Mr Big of the film is a holocaust survivor who steals the luck of those around him through touch. He steals the luck of earth quake survivor, Federico, who then enlists the help of an air crash survivor to get revenge. A strange, quirky and highly entertaining film. Requires a lot of attention from the viewer but it'll leave you thinking about it for weeks to follow.

Of course, it depends on where you're from as to whether it's foreign or not. I think it was Spanish, but it's all Greek to me.

thanks for the recommendations!! im interested in all kinds of movies bb, so if you know of any good ones let me know!

I'm very interested in foreign films. In fact, I'd say almost a hundred percent of the movies I watch are foreign.

I almost only watch foreign film

"Reconstruction" is Danish not Swedish. Though I guess that it could be a collaboration. At least one actress is Swedish.

The following are some of my favourite films that I recommend to everyone.

• "Naked" by Mike Leigh
  • "Videodrome" by David Cronenberg
  • "The Isle" (Seom) by Kim Ki-Duk
  • "Benny's Video" by Michael Haneke

Interesting question - what defines a foreign film on an international list... ? Some British and American movies are kind of cool... ;)

I've enjoyed a lot of non-English films. I'm a big fan of kung fu movies for a start, and have seen a number of French films I've really enjoyed.

I'm trying to recall one I saw a number of years ago. It was a trilogy and each film was a different colour - Red, White and Blue, I think. Anyone else recall this one? I think it's quite famous and I know I could find it online if I let my fingers Google a little.

Kookamoor said:
I'm trying to recall one I saw a number of years ago. It was a trilogy and each film was a different colour - Red, White and Blue, I think. Anyone else recall this one? I think it's quite famous and I know I could find it online if I let my fingers Google a little.
I believe the red, white and blue movie is by Krzysztof Kieslowski.

I haven't seen those movies myself but I've enjoyed the Kieslowski's Dekalog movies that I've seen. Especially the fifth which is about murder.

Kookamoor said:

You are thinking of Krzysztof Kieslowskis Trois Couleurs. Red, white and Blue in english. Classic movies from the polish director.

Some other good non-english movies:
Le Grande Bouffe (Marco Ferreri).
Das Boot (Wolfgang Petersen)
Underground (Emir Kusturica)
Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Delicatessen (Jeunet, Caro)
37 Le matin (Beineix)
Cinema Paradiso (Tornatore)
Kitchen Stories (Hamer)
Zero Kelvin (Moland)

Just a random selection of good movies i could think of at the moment.

I like Luc Besson's Nikita, though I've watched it so much that I've got a bit sick of it, to be honest. Stylish and quite daft, but very entertaining. It must only be watched in the original French with English subtitles though (the English dubbing on my DVD is bloody awful - the voices just aren't right).

Halo said:
I like Luc Besson's Nikita, though I've watched it so much that I've got a bit sick of it, to be honest. Stylish and quite daft, but very entertaining. It must only be watched in the original French with English subtitles though (the English dubbing on my DVD is bloody awful - the voices just aren't right).

Dubbing is always wrong.

Zolipara said:
Dubbing is always wrong.

But it can be hilarious! The Simpsons in French is truly bizarre. Subtitles also offer some hilarity - A friend obtained some sketchy DVDs on a trip to Thailand, which offered english subtitles despite the fact that they were English language movies. A prime example was 'Gangs of New York' which featured subtitles which in no way related to the movie! Seeing Leo DiCaprio angsting on the screen and saying something poinant while having subtitles read, "No, Irene, the monkey has the other orange" or some such ridiculous phrase is simply hilarious. :D

Well it can be funny one time, but overall i prefer to avoid any dubbed movies. The worst example i ever encountered was when i visited Poland and watched "'Allo 'Allo!" dubbed to polish. There was this one guy that had the voice of all the characters, male and female. And he didnt even try to act, he only read the dialogue in his extremely monotonous voice. And in a show where half the fun is hearing the different accents...

filmmakers didn't always have a choice. you would be surprised how many movies were filmed without sound, then dubbed in later, because the camera equipment they used to film it wasn't compatible with any audio equipment. it's just that, sometimes they did a good job dubbing in the lines (fistful of dollars), and sometimes they didn't (manos, the hands of fate).

I just remembered another funny example of dubbing. In the first movie schwarzenegger played in he spoke so bad english that they had to dub him. They only needed him for his muscles. Hercules in New York, quality.....

Best dubbed scene ever is the SNL skit where Bill Murray plays Hercules. It has dubbing AND subtitles AND you can understand what he's saying, and none of them match.

Wolhay said:
"Reconstruction" is Danish not Swedish. Though I guess that it could be a collaboration. At least one actress is Swedish.

The following are some of my favourite films that I recommend to everyone.

• "Naked" by Mike Leigh
  • "Videodrome" by David Cronenberg
  • "The Isle" (Seom) by Kim Ki-Duk
  • "Benny's Video" by Michael Haneke

naked was awsome, it was one film that made laugh so hard i almost cried! :D

I don't know if videodrome really falls into the foreign film category, since most of the cast and crew were americans.

Zolipara said:
Le Grande Bouffe (Marco Ferreri)
Ever since I saw "La Carne" I've wanted to see the rest of Ferreri's movies, especially "Le Grande Bouffe" which seems to be the most famous but so far I haven't been able to find it in the movie rentals.

honeydevil said:
naked was awsome, it was one film that made laugh so hard i almost cried!
I think I've laughed out loud a couple of times but I've seen it more as a movie that is kept within the limits of being hilarious in the laugh out loud sense because of the scenes with abuse and the dark undertones that remain during the entire movie.

bobbyburns said:
I don't know if videodrome really falls into the foreign film category, since most of the cast and crew were americans.
National boundaries are fading and defining national identity of movies isn't science. I thought that James Woods looked a bit Canadian at least. Either way the movie is extremely foreign to me.

Wolhay said:
Ever since I saw "La Carne" I've wanted to see the rest of Ferreri's movies, especially "Le Grande Bouffe" which seems to be the most famous but so far I haven't been able to find it in the movie rentals.

Ive never seen it for rent either, but it often pops up in the program of various movie clubs(or whatever you call them). There are quite a few of these showing a more varied program of movies than most movie theatres. Thats where i first watched it.

Back