• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Forthcoming Historical Novels

I love lists!!

I've read a few of this year's releases -- very few. Seems like everybody's jumping on the historical fiction bandwagon. Dennis Lehane? Loren Estleman? Don't they write crime thrillers?

Pat Barker – Life Class -- she's one of my favorite writers. This was typical Barker -- strong on characterization with astute observations.

Ariana Franklin -- I didn't read this one but I read the first in the series about the medieval female physician/forensics expert. I thought it was okay but a bit romancey toward the end.

Judith Merkle Riley – The Serpent Garden -- I like Riley, don't remember much about this book though.

Boris Akunin -- I love his historical mysteries, but it takes forever for the English translation to hit the secondary market. I rarely buy new books.

Lawrence Goldstone – Anatomy of Deception -- I did buy this one new. It's good, but ordinary.

Immortal – Traci Slatton -- I wanted to like this book but I dumped it early. A beautiful boy is stolen from the streets of Florence (?) and sold to a brothel. The brothel keeper feeds him, cleans him up, dresses him in expensive clothes, and then commences to beat him. Now I've never kept a brothel, but I like to think I'd take better care of my investment. It was unbelievable and took me right out of the story.

The House at Riverton – Kate Morton -- haven't read this but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Has anyone here read it?

Don Robertson – The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread -- it's quite a stretch to call a novel set in the 1950's "historical" but that's okay with me if it brings Robertson some attention. Robertson is another of my favorite writers and I'm tickled pink that this book is back in print. It's more of a coming of age story, although there is an actual historical event (an explosion) in the novel.

Emma Donoghue -- The Sealed Letter -- haven't read this but I loved Slammerkin. Has anyone read this new one?

Per Petterson -- To Siberia -- haven't read this either but loved Out Stealing Horses.

Elizabeth Chadwick is also amazing as in accuracy and story. (There are two Elizabeth Chadwicks though, the one I am suggesting only writes about medieval times) The Greatest Knight is one of my favorites,followed by The Scarlet Lion.

Hi--New member--Have written two historical novels ( first and second world war)--to be read on-line--has anyone done this before? Looking forward to hearing your suggestions----Doc

Hi--New member--Have written two historical novels ( first and second world war)--to be read on-line--has anyone done this before? Looking forward to hearing your suggestions----Doc

I presonally don't read online .Short stories only and I usually print them out.

Back