• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Franz Kafka: Letter to his Father

Heteronym

When I think Franz Kafka has no more secrets for me, I read Letter to his Father and lose myself in awe. This short letter, no longer than a novella, may well be Kafka’s most perfect work: short, clear, full of feeling, encompassing his pessimistic worldview, explaining his oeuvre.

In Kafka’s accusation of how his father’s authority and cruelty conditioned his entire life, there’s also an amazing work of introspection: the author goes through his life trying to find his self, without deceptions. And without fear, he describes himself as a pitiful, weak man without confidence in himself. He debases himself in every line, but the letter itself explains how he reached the point where he could be brutally honest with himself in ways few people ever are with themselves. This is possibly the greatest autobiographical piece ever written.

Kafka never sent this letter to his father; he gave it to his mother, who returned it to him without delivering it to his father. I have no idea what this meant to Kafka, but for literature it was best that it survived.

What an amazing trilogy that would have been if mother and father each had also put their thoughts and observations in writing! :cool:

WOW! Thanks so much for the link. I seem to have written a similar letter to my own father just recently.

Very scary
You welcome.
I think we all have some letter we would want to write to someone.

I have written my father many times, in my head.

You welcome.
I think we all have some letter we would want to write to someone.

I have written my father many times, in my head.

Hmmm, So I'm not alone?

I actually has received a letter from him in July. I just had to respond to his nastiness. As did my husband, who in his own response, Wrote him off entirely.

Gee, I have four grown children and now you have me cringing. I'm afraid to go to the mailbox. :lol: but maybe then again :sad:

I was contemplating which book of his to start with, this novella is as good as any.

I wouldn't say it's a good introduction as much as it helps explain aspects of Kafka's work: the grinding oppressive worlds his impotent protagonists live in, etc. To me the real introduction is The Metamorphosis: it's short, it's powerful, it's complete, it's brilliant.

I wouldn't say it's a good introduction as much as it helps explain aspects of Kafka's work: the grinding oppressive worlds his impotent protagonists live in, etc. To me the real introduction is The Metamorphosis: it's short, it's powerful, it's complete, it's brilliant.

I found it online, so I will probably read this too before I start with The Trial.
Thank you.

When I think Franz Kafka has no more secrets for me, I read Letter to his Father and lose myself in awe. This short letter, no longer than a novella, may well be Kafka’s most perfect work: short, clear, full of feeling, encompassing his pessimistic worldview, explaining his oeuvre.
What an amazing read.I have not been able to set it out of my mind.

In Kafka’s accusation of how his father’s authority and cruelty conditioned his entire life, there’s also an amazing work of introspection: the author goes through his life trying to find his self, without deceptions. And without fear, he describes himself as a pitiful, weak man without confidence in himself. He debases himself in every line, but the letter itself explains how he reached the point where he could be brutally honest with himself in ways few people ever are with themselves. This is possibly the greatest autobiographical piece ever written.
This letter angered me.His father was a tyrant in my opinion.He destroyed Kafka's soul,making him feel worthless,and his existense unimportant.Very cruel.

I found that Kafka although all grown up,was still struggling to make sense of his father behavior towards him.Like many children who are made to feel like this when they are young,they always want answers as to why,and what did they do wrong to deserve it.That's why I believe he debases himself,deep down he probably believed he was at fault too,that he deserved it in a way.

Very deep,very painful letter.

Kafka never sent this letter to his father; he gave it to his mother, who returned it to him without delivering it to his father. I have no idea what this meant to Kafka, but for literature it was best that it survived.

Again,a tyrant for a father,and no support from the mother.I find it as a double blow when I read the mother returned it to him.I can imagine what he must of been struggling with inside all his life.This letter kind of gave me an understanding of his other works.

I think it's still impressive that he had enough will power to put his thoughts and feelings on paper through all his work, after the way his father destroyed his self-esteem. Some people self-destruct with such a background of abuse, but he managed to find a creative channel for his suffering.

I agree,have you seen the Graphic Novels? I found a few today online,looks like interesting stuff.

Back