• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Franz Kafka: The Trial

gustavo santos

Firstly I wanna say hi to you people - I'm new at this forum. I bet someone here has already read this book and I gotta say it's too weird in a first view. Unfortunately there are no good adaptations for the cinema for this book. Not that I’d rather watching a movie than reading a book. But in fact there are some books’ adaptations for the cinema that are great, like “les miserables”. Anyway, the book itself is great and after reading it I had to know more about so I could understand its weirdness better.

I don't know why I got so interested by Kafka after reading "The Trial". I've read "In the penal colony" once - a long time ago -, a very small tale by him and I liked it, but by that time it was only another good reading for me. I did not saw it as something to “investigate”... but when I read "The Trial" things were a lot different. Maybe it's because it's so WEIRD and I like weird books (and movies) lol. I always think if something is weird, then it must not necessarily have no logic, but it may have an "hidden" sense, I say hidden in somewhere else, maybe not in that very book's text, but - who knows - in the author’s life facts. So I took a few minutes of my life to do a research about the social context in which Kafka was inserted, I mean, the political context of the Kingdom of Bohemia were he lived. I did so because I wanted to know for sure if an interpretation I've previously did to myself of the book was close to the idea Kafka wanted to transmit thought his masterpiece “The Trial”.

This interpretation done by myself can be explained like this: Kafka lived in a very authoritarian country, were the State of Law that was supposed to exist (according to him) was not actually a real State of Law. So he wrote this book to make a critic about this model of government he hated. In "The Trial’s" story, a court sues Joseph K., a successful guy that worked in a great bank, without telling him why he was being taken to trial - he never discovered the crime he was accused of. And this court also did not follow any other law. So I see in this fictitious court created by Kafka the representation of a Leviathan... a Leviathan that represented the government of the country Kafka lived. And, in the book, K. discovers that there was nothing he could do in he's defense. He hired a lawyer but then he discovers also that what makes a lawyer to be good (in the fictitious world of the book) is the personal relationship of this lawyer with the judges and other members of the court, not the lawyer's knowledge about law. It doesn't matter's if he's PHD or not. K. tried all the ways he could find to discover what was the charge and to defend himself against it. He couldn't even - neither his lawyer - type the petition, he’s defense thesis, because he did not know what crime was he being accused of and he did not have the access to the court files of he’s case. These files - if they existed - were hidden somewhere in the court's domains with thousands of other files - lot's of pounds of old and “UNuseful” papers. So this court not only disobeyed the law, but also created its own laws, just like a T. Hobbes Leviathan. See the similarity of these two institutions. Even tough one represents the judiciary power, and the other represents the executive power, similarities between them are explicit. There was not due process of law to K. so he is taken as guilt in the end - and he dies. I think in the Kafka’s view this court was the responsible for this and all the other cases of injustice in that country. The court represents the leviathan, and the leviathan represents the Kafka's real life country government. That’s why I think it's a critique to the unwanted authority. That was my interpretation of the book.

Then, as I said, I wanted to confirm if this was true. And I read in a Kafka's biography I found in my university’s library – a full-of-dust book printed in 1974 that looked like no one had touch it since that year, even thought that’s a very good and detailed biography - that this interpretation of “The Trial” done by myself was not wrong, but was also not complete. The thing is that actually the tale "The Trial" is not a critique to the government only, but it's firstly a critique to the concept of "authority". And the Kafka’s life facts I discovered in this biography explains it very well. Kafka was born in a jewish family and his father was very bossy when Kafka was a children. His father was always giving him orders and if he did not complied with it, then he knew there would be a severe punition. Once Kafka, still a very young child, was asking for a glass of water. He’s father did not want to give him any water for a reason the book doesn’t tells and the child (Kafka) started to cry and ask for it again and again. As result of that "annoyance", the father locked him outside the house, in an Oriental Europe winter day. If the snow and the coldness did not bother Kafka so much, in the other hand the people that were passing in the street seeing him in underwear did bother him – a lot. This episode was remembered by Kafka when he was a grown up man. I think he became traumatized. His father created in him the hate against any authority. When he was young, he hated the father's authority. When he was older, than this hate was extended by the family pressure for him to study law. "Anything that is not literature [including law, for sure], bothers me", he wrote once in a letter to a girl, friend of him. And latter, this hate of him was extended to the state authority, that government he hated. And maybe he hated it mostly by the fact it was a powerful authority and less by the fact it was bad for the people. I don’t know. No one knows for sure. But as you may see, that corroborates that interpretation I previously did about the book. I think many people have previously think the same about the book…

Now I'm satisfied that I could understand this book. My curiosity is “cured” hahaha. I think I would not have to spend more time in understanding it lol... I still know almost nothing about Kafka, but this little I know is enough to satisfy my curiosity, so I'm ok with it. I just wanted to understand the book. Anyway, it's a good book and I'll surely read another one piece by Kafka, someday. But there are other titles I want to read first.

It’s possible there are other interpretations that will make sense concerning “The Trial” too. If someone knows any, please post it. It’s really fun to discuss about such stuff – weird stuff that makes sense after a major research.

Interesting post! Makes me want to re-read The Trial... it's been ages since I read it, and it's a bit difficult to give this post the response it deserves based on what I remember of it.

I do think it's problematic to read Kafka too literally, though - I don't think his books are meant to be either political or autobiographical but more about emotions; the feeling of being persecuted, trapped, an outsider - which seems to have been things he knew about both from his personal life and the time he was living in (the fact that he was a German-speaking Jew living in Prague probably didn't help either), but I think at one time or another, most people can relate to that feeling. There are so many things that hold authority over us, no matter where you turn.

Two things that struck me when I re-read Kafka earlier this year were
1) how precise his language is. No matter how bizarre his plots get, he describes them in this very dry, unemotional prose that just makes it all the more unsettling; as if language itself were a trap that kept us from fully expressing how it feels to be human - both the good (of which there is precious little in Kafka's works) and the bad (of which there is more).
2) his humour. It's something I think a lot of people miss in Kafka; he has a very dark sense of humour - that bit early on in The Trial, for instance, where Josef has to show ID and can only find his bicycle license, or the increasingly absurd court appearances and catch-22s (again, it's been a while since I read it, I'm afraid) he's subjected to. It's not something that makes you laugh out loud, it's the underdog's humour, the bitter laugh of the one who knows he's screwed but can't help but point out the ridiculousness of it all. Reading Kafka reminds me of the story of the martyr who was sentenced to death by stoning; as he lay there covered in stones, dying, one of his executioners asked if he had any final request. His reply: "More stones!"

I don't know if this was very helpful or if I'm just waffling, but I felt this post needed a reply. Welcome! :)

gustavo:

Thanks for that post. Some interesting thoughts.

I myself read Kafka, in entirety, about ten years ago. I recently got sent 'The Trial' to review for the Penguin Classics Blog:

http://www.blogapenguinclassic.co.uk/site/pcMain.php5

So a re-read and review are heading my way soon, after which I'll be able to give your post a more fully thought through response.

In the meantime I'd just like to back-up beergood's point about Kafka's humour. Apparently he considered his writing to be humorous and was rather suppressed others didn't feel the same way; something that perhaps fed his feelings of alienation?

It’s also worth noting that Kafka was a contemporary of the great Czech humorist Jaroslav Hasek. Hasek was a well-known figure on the bohemian literary scene at the time, and the two knew each other through being members of the Czech Young Men’s Club in Prague. In 1911 Hasek created a, not entirely serious, political party called “The Party of Moderate Progress within the Bounds of the Law” with which to poke fun at the political process in Czechoslovakia. During the election campaign of the following year, Hasek held a number of humorous, and alcohol-fuelled, rallies that were attended by both Kafka and Max Brod. Hasek was known to address the crowd for up to three hours, improvising his entire speech.

I’m not suggesting that Hasek was direct influence on ‘The Trial’ but it does give an indication of the attitude taken by Kafka’s contemporaries towards the political situation they found themselves in.

Regards,

K_S

I do like your interpretation of ’The Trial’ and I must admit that the biographical angle have never really interested me all that much.
Firstly I must warn you that it is about six years since I have read the book, so I might not have the details all straight any longer, but it is also one of those books that just sticks; one you cannot get out of your system.
I think you gain some fine aspects but you miss a much deeper level. Form wise you do not get the interaction and relations between the characters of the book. Try imagining the whole plot as one big spiral. When we move further into the book we get closer to the centre. The relations and interaction between K. and the others always meet the same places on the spiral. Either K. is ’talking down’ to his ’opponent’ or the ’opponent’ is talking down to K. It is a game of power in the meeting between two people.
Kafka is investigating the way we meet, and tries to say that we cannot ever meet another person as equals: Either we are on top, or we are down. Someone always have the control. If you study ’The Trial’ you will notice that the position of K. always changes en every meeting – hence he produce a circular form, where you have a Power position o none side, and the complete opposite on the other side of the circle – no one ever meets in positions which are not in one of these extremes.
When I refer to the form as a spiral and not a circle in the beginning of this text, it is because of the centre theme. K. is accused of something, and he starts a long way away from this, and then through the book gets closer and closer to the accusation – closer to his guilt. The thing is that K. is guilty (we all are), but he is not willing to take our guilt upon himself. A man cannot take this guilt – which is shown in the very last scene, where K. is unable to execute himself.
As a side note I must mention the scene in the church, where he is looking at the picture of Jesus on the wall. He finally refuses to accept Jesus, which is a move in the right direction as to accepting his guilt – a fundamental guilt. He cannot find salvation in any other then himself, but this is in itself impossible!!! This is important!
Kierkegaard once wrote that we can fight in two ways: Cominus or Eminus (on distance or at close range); and he adds: only when we fight eminus, with the risk of feeling the blade, we really fight. Taking this into account we can now look at the two power positions. Every time K. has the upper hand, he sends someone out to fight his battle (cominus) and when he does not have the upper hand he is forced to go into battle himself. And to add to the complexity, he meets the to positions of being in power and out of power both when he fights cominus and eminus.
It is a study worth to see what happens when he lets his lawyer, the artist or women fight in his place, and when he takes matters into his own hands. Only small steps are made when others try to help – and these steps are moving K. forward in the realisation that he must deal with this himself. When he confronts anyone and starts taking on his own responsibility, he quickly shifts it away and lets someone else handle it. This goes through to the very end, ending up with him unable to kill himself.
Also Kierkegaard said that we should meet ’the other’ in eye-height – seeing eye to eye – K. rejects this and shows that it is impossible.

Happy reading ;-)
-tZar

The Trial - the Interpretations

Hello All!

This is my first entry in this forum.
I found the interpretation of both santhos & the tZar helpful in understanding Kafka's Trial. That it is a representation of one's ordeal with a irrational Authority is largely attractive as an interpretation. However before reading these reviews, I too had some opinion about this book, and I will present it as concisely as possible below.

It mainly revolves around the chapter "at the Cathedral" - The interpretaion of the Law as described by the Chaplain to K. It is of significance to note that the person who approaches the Door keeper is free, even to turn back, although the door keeper isn't. So the visitor is so obsessed in cajoling the door keeper, knowing fully well that his efforts will be tested further as he goes further in. But the visitor decides to spend the rest of his life there. In the same sense, although K. is surprised at his arrest, it appears that he may have a sense of guilt-consciousness, not through any exact offence as such, but by a collection of"minor offences" if you will, or more precisely by how he lives his life. K. appears to be a young man somewhat arrogant, conceited (e.g. how he regards his fellow boarders),cut-throat (e.g. his ambititiousness at the Bank), & ungrateful (e.g. considers his Ward, his uncle as a nuisance, and ignores his mother for years). So in his own mind is K. Guilty ? Is that why K. continues to obey the dictates of the Court, whilst still knowing that it is irrational to the core and corrupt ? Even the two executors give him the knife to kill himself first, a sign of confessing on his guilt. Then consider the scene of the whipper in a room at K. Bank offices with his two warders, waiting in that same fashion as if to stress a point to K. Is that K.'s own mind accusing him ? If then is he hyper sensitive ?

I hope that this interpretation will encourage to discuss this classic further.

gustavo:

It’s also worth noting that Kafka was a contemporary of the great Czech humorist Jaroslav Hasek. Hasek was a well-known figure on the bohemian literary scene at the time, and the two knew each other through being members of the Czech Young Men’s Club in Prague.
K_S

This is fascinating! To my knowledge (challenged by my imperfect memory)this is the first time anybody has asserted that Kafka and Hašek actually knew one another. What is the source of this claim? Could it be Parrott's Bad Bohemian?

In 1911 Hasek created a, not entirely serious, political party called “The Party of Moderate Progress within the Bounds of the Law” with which to poke fun at the political process in Czechoslovakia.
K_S

Czechoslovakia was not created until 1918. Czech Lands (Bohemia and Moravia) and Slovakia were part of the dual monarchy, Austria-Hungary, a.k.a. the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

And rabbits are even smarter, as per Watership Down. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that so few people are concerned about this.

Back