• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Freaky...

Michigan

kickbox
Sometimes when I'm watching TV, when I'm reading a book, when I'm out in the city, when I'm meeting someone new, when I'm doing something for the first time or I see something new, I get this strange feeling of familiarity, that I've seen or done this before, even though I figure out later that I couldn't possibly have. It seems to happen more and more and I just want to ask a bunch of smart ...(searching for adjectives :rolleyes: )... bookish people like yourselves, is there something wrong with me???? Is my mind deteriorating in my mid-teens??? :(

An example is... I'm watching a preview for some anime series. I feel like I've seen it before, the series. But then later when I think about it, I know that the series was only released last year or something, and that I wasn't into anime until recently, and stuff like that... but there's still that feeling of familiarity that feels so much like real recognition.

Does anyone else get that sort of false feeling of familiarity with something or someone that you know you can not have ever seen or done before? Or can anyone explain why this happen? :confused:

I don't really think it's serious :) but I want your opinions anyway...

Oooh, that deja-vu feeling can be so creepy. I get those feelings quite often, over the littlest things too. I don't think it means anything.

i have deja vu's all the time, but also i have a very bad memory (once i bump into a group of people i havent seen in a while, in a cafe, and took some time to realize that the girl that was looking funny at me had been my girlfriend a few years before :rolleyes: )

I get a sense of deja-vu all the time...even more so recently. I'll be sitting in class or somewhere else and get the sense that I knew what was going to happen before it happened...just like I was remembering it happening earlier. Quite weird. I thought I was getting them more just because I'm older and have more memories to cause these deja-vus.

I've never experienced anything like that. I would have liked to though. Sounds interesting. :cool:

Don't worry Maya, you're not missing much. :) Just a tingly, creepy sort of feeling that makes you stop dead for a moment before it fades.

It probably has to do with whatever you are smelling at the time. Smell is connected to your memory. So you might not remember the new thing you are doing but you remember the smell and that gives you the sense of deja vu.

Actually neural scientists know what deja vu is. It's neurons in the brain mis fire and cause you to think a new event is actually a memory. :)

Actually, I want to add that even when this is true there maybe other more mysterious forms of deja vu!

Back