• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"French Women Don't Get Fat"

novella

Oh yeah?

awww.bigstick.com.au_ThePerfectDiary_pd2003_contributors_artworks_csparks.jpg

Talk about hype. The author of this is the president of Veuve Cliquot USA. She offers such pearls of wisdom as: French women know more ways to tie a scarf; French women chew more; they dress well to put out the garbage, etc.

The author is so well plugged in to the media machine, this book has been everywhere I look for weeks.

I haven't read this book, but the title alone got me annoyed. What a load of old balls. :mad: I am sick of this media hype trying to brainwash women into thinking that French women are all chic, slim and beautiful. Are they trying to make women from other countries feel inferior? That they should all try to achieve this French "ideal" and woe betide them if they don't? Good grief. I hate to break it to the author, but there are fat and thin women in every country in the world. :rolleyes:

Yeah, really. Bulgaria has a very low rate of obesity, as does The Netherlands.

Imagine a book called "Bulgarian Women Don't Get Fat"? It would be perceived as a joke.

Isnt that title just meant to provoke you. Make you take a look at what its about? Its not the first book that uses the trick of a somewhat provocative title.

I havent read the book and probably wont, but isnt it just a simple book telling you that its possible to stay slim without starving yourself or going on a wierd diet without carbs etc. Its not about french women beeing superior to other women, its just about the french diet vs. McDonalds.

Zolipara said:
. Its not about french women beeing superior to other women, its just about the french diet vs. McDonalds.

Here's a quote from Julia Reed's review in the NY Times:

"Indeed, much is made of the superiority of French women in all things, from chewing to ''using the same scarf to create a different effect'' to ''preserving spark and mystery'' in long-term relationships. Apparently, they're even better at being happy -- ''the French woman understands intuitively that one does not laugh because one is happy; one is happy because one laughs.'' This gets a tad tiresome"

Zolipara said:
Isnt that title just meant to provoke you. Make you take a look at what its about? Its not the first book that uses the trick of a somewhat provocative title.

I havent read the book and probably wont, but isnt it just a simple book telling you that its possible to stay slim without starving yourself or going on a wierd diet without carbs etc. Its not about french women beeing superior to other women, its just about the french diet vs. McDonalds.

It's been talked about in the media here too :) Yeah, it's REALLY about how French women are so slim and wonderful. They had the woman on TV when I was visiting my parents. She was talking a right load of rubbish. :D

I won't be reading this book. It's an affront to other women. What about the japanese whop have low levels of obesity and eat extremely well?

novella said:
Oh yeah?

awww.bigstick.com.au_ThePerfectDiary_pd2003_contributors_artworks_csparks.jpg

Talk about hype. The author of this is the president of Veuve Cliquot USA. She offers such pearls of wisdom as: French women know more ways to tie a scarf; French women chew more; they dress well to put out the garbage, etc.

The author is so well plugged in to the media machine, this book has been everywhere I look for weeks.
Is there any profe that this lady is french? Can you hear her accent? Can you tell she is french just by looking at her? Or has these points already been diagnosed? :rolleyes:

novella said:
I just googled French Woman and there she was.

How do we know you're a girl?
Exactly! Only I know what I truly am... There for only she will know if she is french, tourist, male, female :p

Back