• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fresh blood in Fantasy

saliotthomas

Like in any genre,Fanstasy is heavily occupied by the same few allways present autor-unsualy tolkien like quest-Martin,Jordan,Feist,Brooks,Goodkind,Eddings,Salvatore
And i do not deny they have some qualities(specialy Martin)but it more or less the same style,plot,and writing.
I discoverd in the last years a few less known(more now)autor that i like
David Gemmell would be my favorite-specialy his historical based fantasy-like the dark prince and troy
Robin Hobb would be at the same level in very different style.
Glen Cook is exellent,very dark and cynical
Then James Barclay isn't to bad,Steven Erikson is another
Do you know any other?

A favourite of mine is Guy Gavriel Kay. Intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable fantasy. Start with Lions of Al-Rassan or The Sarantium Mosaic duology, which comprises of Sailing to Sarantium and concludes with Lord of Emperors.

Satisfaction guaranteed.

Check previous threads on this very forum on Kay.

I love him but i don't see what qualify him as Fantasy writer?Appart from the strange name he give to religion.
Did you like "the last light of the sun" ?I fond it really good

Oh yeah, he's a fantasy writer. I liked Last Light, but it's really not up to the standards he had set with his earlier standalone novels, such as Tigana or Lions of Al-Rassan. If you're not yet read either of those, please do so as soon as you can, because if you liked Last Light, you'll love his earlier works.

Yeah, he changes the names of religions that you and I know more commonly as something else. He changes the names of continents and dynasties as well, to great effect.

Ok, another fantasy novelist I like is Ursula Le Guin. Different kettle of fish. I loved her Earthsea stories.

ds

The lion of al-Rassan was a great one.Still i see it more as historical fiction.
I also read some of Ursula Le guin and liked it.

The lion of al-Rassan was a great one.Still i see it more as historical fiction.
I also read some of Ursula Le guin and liked it.

Read them both, huh? Hmm... thought I'd go with Neil Gaiman, but I think I'll settle for a recommendation for Jeff Vandermeer. I read Veniss Underground, and thought his take on fantasy is unlike anything I have ever read before - very urban, very dark.

I read "americain gods" by Gaiman,and liked it but it's like Pratchett,I don't really get hoocked.
Did you read anything by Tim Power,his best being "Anubis gate",very,very;very good-"hearthquake weather" got me lost(bit like Gaiman)
and Scott Lynch or Joe Abercrombie,Stan Nicholls?

I hope this isnt wrong to do but I'm going to throw my own name on this list since you are looking for new fantasy or young blood. A King's Quest vol 1 of The Kingdom Chronicles. I have recieved several good reviews on the first book and the second should be out by early spring

Back