• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Friends and books

My mum lent a book to a neighbour who then moved away -with the book.
This book is the reason I joined the forum in the first place. We can't remember either the name or the author of the book. My Grandma combs every charity shop she comes across, has asked in various bookshops, both me and my mum have scoured the internet for it -but alas to no avail!

Should probably post it again on the search part of the forum.
:mad:

It depends on the book, how easy and inexpensive it would be to replace, and whether the person asking has a nasty habit of borrowing without returning.

I don't usually loan my books. Unless they collect books as well. My boss and another friend are the only two I lend books to. People bend them and smoke on them and drop food and put them in water... argh!

Boss, uh? Drop in slips of notes saying how this month's groceries are taking a toll on your finances, and see if s/he gets the hint. :)

I try not to borrow. So far it's 50-50, approx half the books I lend out are never seen again.

ds

I lend books to my mom, who then passes them to my aunt, who then gives them to my cousin. I bought a book at some point in college (at least 3 years ago) and gave it to my mom to read because she was "dying to read it". I had since forgotten about it. My aunt gave it to me today and said she was returning it to me. I had no idea I even owned it, but my name is in it in my handwriting. I lend a lot of books to my mom and aunt, but have since learned not to give out books I haven't read yet. I never see them, or they have been to hell and back before they come home.

I've stopped loaning books to my one friend. She has two kids who tear through them in an instant, which would be good save for one problem, she never gives them back. Even when I ask for them. She looks at me like I'm being stingy by not letting her KEEP 'MY' books and all because she has kids.

My friend's mum lends me books. It's great... and I don't have to be in a hurry to return them because she then just has to find where to put them.

I'll lend books to my friends, I guess, but generally I'm the one borrowing them. I'll on sometimes lend books to my siblings, but since we live in the same house, I can supervise them "reading" and make sure I never again walk into the bathroom and find one of my books open, face down, with the cover bent under someone's clothes from yesterday...

mehastings said:
My aunt gave it to me today and said she was returning it to me. I had no idea I even owned it, but my name is in it in my handwriting.
Well, sounds like you should loan out more books then. Everyone loves a good surprise every once in a while, right?

Even if the books actually really belong to you.

"Here's the book you loaned me x years ago, mehastings! Thanks!"

"And this... and this..."

ds

Depends on the book and the friend.. I've learned not to lend books I'd cry over if they didn't get returned. I don't borrow very often, as I have a tendency to forget they're here, and the book gets assimilated into my collection-not intentionally, it just happens. So I don't ask to borrow anymore.

I only lend and borrow with my father. For one, my tastes aren't all that similar to my friends, and two, I don't want to lose my books or get them back after they've been messed up.

I rather not get the book back if it comes back in a state (Smelling of smoke especially annoys me). Most people i lend books to don't treat them as well as i do. (but i'm a bit more fussy than most)
If i borrow a book i try to give it back in the same condition i was given it.

Cabrasopa :cool:

Back