• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

From the Page to Reality

VTChEwbecca

kickbox
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've not seen anything related to this since I've been a member:

Are there any places that you'd like to live/visit from books you've read? Would you actually want to step into the book and actually be in that place and time? Why would you choose that place? Would you want to interact with the characters or just be an observer?

-----------
For me, it would be Anne McCaffrey's Pern. I'd prefer the pass including Lessa & F'lar. I'd actually want to live there...the whole society fascinates me. I'm always dreaming of a more simple life and I'm not worried about hard work. I often catch myself daydreaming about living there, which is part of the reason that the books appeal to me so greatly. I'd love to be a dragonrider, but I think that even being a holder would be interesting. As I'd be living there, obviously I'd be interacting with the people.

The city from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. I think it's L.A. of the future, but it's been a while since I read it so I might be wrong.

I would love to be a member of The Culture, from the Iain M Banks books. I'd be a member of Special Circumstances, I'd have a knife missile and a lazy gun and all sorts of cool gadgets. And if I got bored glanding drugs all day, I'd grow myself a pair of wings and fly off somewhere more interesting. :D

On The Road – Jack Kerouac. I wasn’t drawn particularly to the characters, who seemed pretty shallow, and selfish, but it must be wonderful to journey in a country that is bigger than the length of a day; and to have the freedom, courage and reserves within yourself to travel when you don’t know what your destination is, where the money will come from for your next meal, or who your friends will be along the way. Imagine having the strength to take on the world as a challenge, in the way of ‘Dean Moriarty’? And to breathe it, and live it and see it in the colours that Kerouac did?

Third Man Girl

Reply to Thread

I have 2.

1. Taken from 'Life is so Good' by George Dawson. When George hits New Orleans and becomes what you might call a ladies man. It was a swinging time to be in that part of the world and to be there with George would of made it okay with me.

2. Taken From 'Slaughter House 5' by Kurt Vonnegut. I would love to visit Tralfamadore. Not really as a human though as I would no doubt be put in a zoo. However I think it would be exceptional to experience life as a Tralfamadorian. Being able to see in 4 dimensions and view time as though it where a postcard would really buzz out the joo joos.

I'd actually love to live at Hogwarts :eek: No other book has made me want to actually be in it.

I want a wand and a broomstick :D

you've reminded me

it would have to be the end of time ala Moorcock, as long as i got one of those power rings!

ksky

What ever I'm reading I'm living there, even when I stop reading for a few hours I still can't quite shake it even of the books not that great. I rarely live in England. i could never pick a place to live permenantly, so I guess I need to learn more magic or buy a transport orb.

Jonzey said:
I'd actually love to live at Hogwarts :eek: No other book has made me want to actually be in it.

I want a wand and a broomstick :D
Oh, me too, me too!!

Cassandra - I am also typically really into wherever it is that I'm reading about, but there are some books that keep my imagination going long after the books have been put upon the shelf. Those are the places that I know I'd really like to be.

Florin, The Princess Bride is just one of my favorites, and being so, how could I not go to Florin?

Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar would be a second choice, and the dragon island from Song in The Sience would take third.

I'd love to go to Cold Mountain where The Green Mile by Stephen King was set - the era and the place call to me ...

WHAT?

I'm talking as in Stephen King's Cold Mountain! Not as in the recent film with Nicole Kidman - is that what you meant? :confused: :D

Although it could amount to the same thing I suppose ... Nope, I'm definately going for the way King described it ...

The Nicole Kidman-film was based on a book. I was just wondering if the Cold Mountain you're refering to, the one in King's The Green Mile, is the same one as in that book (and subsequently the film).

's all.

Cheers, Martin :D

Well, I don't know, do I? :confused: :confused: I'm just answering the thread - you're the one that got it all confused ....

You should know never to start something you can't finish, especially when a woman is involved ...

You guys just don't geddit do you? :eek:

Aww hells bells - I've just re-read my post and it sounded awful :eek: Let me rephrase, on second thoughts, why dig a deeper hole for myself ...

I'm dropping it now ... :eek: :eek:

Oh, you didn't mean . . .

Consider it dropped!

Cheers, Martin (who is changing the smiley he places behind his name from :D to :cool: ) :cool:

Back