• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Frustrated

jaynebosco

Is there anybody who works in a library as either a librarian or a library assistant or as a library technician?

The reason I ask is that I graduated from a Library Technicians diploma program back in June and have been applying off and on (sometimes more off than on) for Library Technican/Assistant positions since I graduated and have had interviews (and even a job until the institution canned the position and decided to re-post and lost the job as a result of union regulations :confused: ) for a few of them (and am waiting for a potential one [at least that is what I was told a month ago]). I am getting increasingly frustrated in the application process and am thinking of quitting applying. I am wondering how long it took to you to find you something, either full-time, part-time or casual or even a temp positon. I would like to know that what I am doing is not in vain. Even if it isn't in this field, I would like to know how long it took you applying to get your first position out of college. Thanks.:)

Library technician....so you deal with informational media?.......PM sent regarding job postings.

SFG75 said:
Library technician....so you deal with informational media?.......PM sent regarding job postings.

Thanks for the job posting site.

I would do reader's advisory, probably help with teaching databases to individuals (depends on the setting), I might do cataloguing, or I might just check out materials to library customers. It would depend on the library situation. Sometimes I could be the one in charge or I could not work in a library and do data entry type work. Totally depends on the situation. It's a fairly new title for library workers.

jaynebosco said:
Thanks for the job posting site.

I would do reader's advisory, probably help with teaching databases to individuals (depends on the setting), I might do cataloguing, or I might just check out materials to library customers. It would depend on the library situation. Sometimes I could be the one in charge or I could not work in a library and do data entry type work. Totally depends on the situation. It's a fairly new title for library workers.

Wouldn't hurt to have your resume picked over by a consultant or someone like that. I'd even ask for a mock interview. When I was out looking for a job, it was very daunting at first(i.e.-the interview) but after awhile, I got to be almost automatic at really giving crisp, yet telling answers that they wanted to hear. Keep applying, still early yet for a job.

Keep applying, especially if you know that this is really what you want to do. I am still in library school (getting a Master's) so at this point I can't really give you any practical advice. But I totally think that libraries are the places to be :D

KristoCat said:
Keep applying, especially if you know that this is really what you want to do. I am still in library school (getting a Master's) so at this point I can't really give you any practical advice. But I totally think that libraries are the places to be :D

I agree with you there, that libraries are the place to be and I hope to be there sometime soon. I am applying as often as I am able to and even considering applying to a bookstore or two to keep my head sane, all the while still applying for library jobs. It may take some time before I get there, but I will end up with paying library job (I currently volunteer at a school library one day a week, plus whatever else I can volunteer for).

SFG75 said:
Wouldn't hurt to have your resume picked over by a consultant or someone like that. I'd even ask for a mock interview. When I was out looking for a job, it was very daunting at first(i.e.-the interview) but after awhile, I got to be almost automatic at really giving crisp, yet telling answers that they wanted to hear. Keep applying, still early yet for a job.

I will take that into consideration. I had my mom and a prof look over my resume before I started really applying for jobs; I have had interviews, so obviously the resume/cover letter isn't the problem, but there might be something in the interview process that I am missing. Considering asking the next place as to what I could do better in my next interview, if I don't get that next position that I interview for. I know it is still early and that something will come along that I will be happy with. I don't want to necessarily rush the process, but at the same time I don't want to be on the sidelines watching the world pass me by, if you get my drift. :eek:

I have a friend that works at the library information desk, she is still attending school and working at the library but I remember when she was trying to get on it was a very long process. She applied and waited for awhile before she had a response and then she started the interview process and that took ahile as well, I think she went to 3 different ones, When she got on she was making much less money than she did at the coffee shop she had been at and was very upset but she hung in there and now she is very happy and has gotten more hours, pay and such. It seems that getting in is the tricky part but once you get in a lot more opens up.

You may try taking a volunteer position at a local library that you want to get your foot into, in my volunteer experience I've often been given a heads up on positions before they are posted and they already are familiar with you so it makes things easier.

Back