• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

G. K. Chesterton

I'd take Chesterton over about 95% of the apologists today. Witty, intelligent, logical, funny. One of the most quotable writers around.

I'm reading a smattering of everything right now. With Chesterton's discursives, I'm reading Nietzsche's Antichrist. the former would eat the latter for breakfast any day of the week. Nietzsche's "psychology" concerning Christ and Christianity is just delusional rantings of a mad man practicing promiscuous sociology. What both parties are equally guilty of is starting from a point of truth and failing to disclose how it is that they got there. Perhaps with time in reading their respective works......

I do agree that GKC is quite insightful and amusing in his observations.

That is sort of coincidental. In the "reading in prison" post I mentioned that I have a buddy who is locked up for a long time and that I send him books. He requested some Nietzsche recently, so I sent him Zarathustra and then just for fun I tossed in Ravi Zacharias' "Can Man Live Without God" which critiques Nietzsche. Zacharias quotes Chesterton profusely in that book. Zacharias actually led me to Chesterton a long time ago....
Anyhow I see your point of both starting from a point of truth without explaining how they got there..... I have by no means delved deeply into either writer. I failed to finish Zarathustra and never tried anything else by Nietzsche, although I have read quite a bit of Chesterton's work (it's a little bit lighter :lol: )

I read the The Man Who Was Thursday years ago on Harold Bloom's recommendation. I really enjoyed it. I have not read any of his nonfiction though.

Chesterton has a distinctive dry wit, I'm really liking his humor.

I like the Fairy Prince to ride on a white pony out of his father's stables, which are of ivory and gold. but if in the course of his adventures he finds it necessary to travel on a flaming dragon, I think he ought to give hte dragon back to the witch at the end of the story. It is a mistake to have dragons about the place.
The strangeness of luxury.

It is not the tyrants that are lacking, but the draymen. Nevertheless, it is not upon the historic heroes of barclay, Perkins, and Co. that I build all my hope. Fine as it was, it was not a full and perfect revolution. A brewer's drayman beating an eminent European General with a stick, though a singularly bright and pleasing vision, is not a complete one. Only when the brewer's drayman beats the brewer with a stick shall we see the clear and radiant sunrise of british self-government.
The field of blood.

Enjoy one and all.

Back