• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Garth Nix - Childen's Fiction

I actually enjoyed Sabriel the most of the three. Dunno, must have liked her character a bit more. Did I hear someone say they thought there should be more coming? Because I agree - I kind of wanted to know if Nick and Lirael ever get together, what exactly Mogget has become, how Sameth gets along after finally figuring out he's not Abhorsen material, and what exactly the Dog will get up to as he/she/it paces the border between life and death. Throw in a little death, destruction, and a world-threatening ambitious master-mind, and there should be enough material there to make up another novel. But perhaps once books have been declared a trilogy, there is no question of whether there will be another.

Lyra said:
Well I did get around to reading Lirael and Abhorsen and I thought they were both excellent. Not sure why others found Abhorsen to be slow - I thought the pacing was fine. Sabriel is more of a stand alone but I would definately recommend reading the other 2 one after the other - they would have worked as one book.

Am on a Garth Nix hunt now - as most of them are not published in the UK yet it will have to be Ebay!

Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday are out in the UK (the first two books in the Keys to the Kingdom series). Read Mister Monday a while back, and Grim Tuesday is on my to-read list... so many books right now... :rolleyes:

Stalky said:
I actually enjoyed Sabriel the most of the three. Dunno, must have liked her character a bit more. Did I hear someone say they thought there should be more coming? Because I agree - I kind of wanted to know if Nick and Lirael ever get together, what exactly Mogget has become, how Sameth gets along after finally figuring out he's not Abhorsen material, and what exactly the Dog will get up to as he/she/it paces the border between life and death. Throw in a little death, destruction, and a world-threatening ambitious master-mind, and there should be enough material there to make up another novel. But perhaps once books have been declared a trilogy, there is no question of whether there will be another.

I thought there should be more. The way they ended it just seemed like there would be more... and on the site it is called the Old Kingdom series. More!

Well I'm reading Sabriel, but I'm not enjoying it as much as His Dark Materials, or Hearn's work. IMHO the main draws of the book are: a) the interesting take on necromantic magic b) a wonderful use of consise prose. Dig deeper though, and the characterisation's a bit lacking. I'm not really sure if I care if Sabriel (sorry Abhorsen) finds her dad or not.

I totally agree with you - the characterisation is virtually non-existent! Actually, thinking about it, this is a flaw in all of his books IMO. He keeps the reader's interest purely through the sheer imagination of his stories; they're always highly original. I've just finished Grim Tuesday (the second Keys to the Kingdom book) and am beginning to lose interest to be honest, due to the complete lack of character development. Then again, they're not really written for my age group! All this is from an adult perspective; children probably think they're wonderful.

I've just started reading Sabriel after a friend recommended Lirael. So far, I'm really enjoying it although I don't think it's such a perfectly-crafted book although it's certainly a page-turner. Based on what I have read so far, I will definitely be reading the sequels.

About ordering ..
After reading the first two I got so hooked up ... well I went to my favourite bookshop to look for some new books - and while I was doing that I asked them to order Abhorsen for me ... as it came out they already have 4 orders on that book and all in my name ...I was so anxious to get the book I forgot I ordered it all ready 3 times- and since I dont like hardbacks only trade paperbacks ...

Well now it sounds as if I was totaly senile ...

As I suspected... theres going to be another Old Kingdom book! Its going to be called The Creature in the Case and is going to take place about six months after Abhorsen! :D

Halo said:
Great info, tartan skirt! Thanks. :) Is that from the Garth Nix site?

Yes, if you take a look at the site I posted earlier in this topic and click the Old Kingdom it'll take you to the books and there should be the new book in the selection.

I've just finished reading Abhorsen (literally, just finished it 20 minutes ago) and thought the whole series was just brilliant. The ending of Abhorsen was just perfect, and tied everything up beautifully.

Thanks for the link, Tartan_Skirt! Glad to know there will be another book in the series. :D

I've just started reading Sabriel and finding much more mature than the Keys to the Kingdom books :) Saying that I did enjoy the first two books to that series, good light entertainment. :D

I like the Old Kingdom books too.

However I agree with someone who have posted here (can't find it to quote)
that the characters ARE a little flat. I mean in Sabriel, you have trouble seeing the motivation in her quest to find her father. It seems like it was already destined and Sabriel was just following along, with no reaction whatsoever.. ever the Ice Queen.

I read these books a while ago and for they were a worthwile read not the best but still good anyway to get to the point i just got paid today so went in search of books to read and came across the new book that was made for written for world book day. i bought it (for a pound!) it is tiny so i will read it tonight and post what it was like tomorow

i read all three and im about to re read them. I think they are all good page turners. i have to admit, i was 13 when i read sabriel and i got nightmares hehehe i scare easily.
anyway i thought you might want to know theres another out now. Its really really short, but still just as good as the others. i think it was a world book day thingy. anyway its called 'creatures of the earth' or something like that im not sure. but it continues the journey of Nick, the boy from the new knigdom.

*~EMMER~* said:
i read all three and im about to re read them. I think they are all good page turners. i have to admit, i was 13 when i read sabriel and i got nightmares hehehe i scare easily.
anyway i thought you might want to know theres another out now. Its really really short, but still just as good as the others. i think it was a world book day thingy. anyway its called 'creatures of the earth' or something like that im not sure. but it continues the journey of Nick, the boy from the new knigdom.

*points up*

... theres going to be another Old Kingdom book! Its going to be called The Creature in the Case and is going to take place about six months after Abhorsen!
;)

Writers should think twice before signing a contract for a long series. Apart from running out of ideas by the third book - Drowned Wednesday- they run the risk of forgetting the most basic rules of writing. I found this wonderful example 'a spray of ... and spray'

Back