• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

General Knowledge

Gem

kickbox
My head is full of strange, useless bits of information, and i'm always looking for more :D so i thought i would start this thread - whoever correctly answers the question below first would then post a question of their own and so forth - and this way i will pick up even more obscure bits of info from all you good people, with which i can then annoy my family over the xmas period.

Seeing as its nearly Christmas :

What important contribution to Christmas customs was made by Louis Prang, who went to the USA from Germany in the 19th century?

Gem said:
My head is full of strange, useless bits of information, and i'm always looking for more :D so i thought i would start this thread - whoever correctly answers the question below first would then post a question of their own and so forth - and this way i will pick up even more obscure bits of info from all you good people, with which i can then annoy my family over the xmas period.

Seeing as its nearly Christmas :

What important contribution to Christmas customs was made by Louis Prang, who went to the USA from Germany in the 19th century?
This is a guess - christmas cards?

Kookamoor,

christmas cards?

Nicely Done :)

He was a lithographer, and found a way to reproduce colour oil paintings, and created a card with 'merry christmas' on it as a way to show it off.

your turn.

Groovy! His name sounded familiar :). I don't have much of a brain on at the moment, but I want to keep the thread going, so here's a bit of an easy one, depending upon where you live.

How many time zones are there in Canada?

NotTheDoctor said:
Six :eek: Where in Canada do you live? I would love to go there someday, especially to Québec, love love love the accent :p
Yep! Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern, Atlantic and Newfoundland. Interestingly I believe that's the same as the US when you include Alaska and Hawaii (Great White North, eh, indeed!)

I'm from the Eastern side of the country (sorry I don't get more specific than that :p ). I'm Australian, though, so I have a weird sort of mish-mash accent that depends on who I'm talking to as to what I sound like. Basically it works out that everyone thinks I'm foreign :eek: . It's a beautiful country, though! The west and east coast are beautiful and so contrasting. I've been lucky to see a lot of the country while I've been here for 3.5 of the last 4.5 years. Quebec is really interesting from a number of perspectives, although as I learnt Parisian French in school I do struggle with the Quebecois accent. However that's nothing compared to the Acadien accents you get further east!

Your turn, NotTheDoctor!

Kookamoor said:
Quebec is really interesting from a number of perspectives, although as I learnt Parisian French in school I do struggle with the Quebecois accent.
It is quite different from the accent I am used to but (and this might be because I recently watched Les Invasions Barbares) I think it's charming.

Ok, my turn! So, does anyone know what "Venezuela" means and how the country got its name?

Joyeux Noël everyone!

It means 'Little Venice' because the people who first went there said the houses looked like venice...or something like that :D

Where in the body is the epididymus?

Catalyst said:
Where in the body is the epididymus?

Haha. It's in the male reproductive system, or the male genetalia. So Health classes were of some use :D

Who was the first person to die in a plane crash?

Ok, maybe I got the powered, free-flight thing wrong, because your answer was incorrect, CDA.

I mean the first victim of a plane crash in a plane based on the Wright's one.

I would guess google should not be allowed.
As far as Monkeycatcher's question, could it be Orville Wright himself?

Back