• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George MacDonald Fraser

kskyhappy

a non fiction discussion broke out the other day regarding the history of British Imperialism. it occured to me afterwards that anybody who was interested in a witty, fictional account would enjoy Frasier's Flashman series.

i've read a number of them and always save one for a holiday treat.

the books follow the school bully from "Tom brown's school days" from his expulsion from Rugby. He is a cad, a liar, and above all a coward, he therefores makes the unlikeliest of heroes. However our capable author has no qualms about subjecting him to just about every misfortunate episode this period can offer, he therefore finds himself in the debacle of the retreat from Kabul, in the charge of the light brigade etc.

which reminds me, i've got the next one waiting for me on my bookshelf!

ksky

has anybody else read any of these?

Not yet. I keep meaning to give them a go. It is an interesting angle, given he was such a nasty specimen in Tom Brown's Schooldays.

I love Tom Brown's Schooldays and recently read a couple of the Flashman novels. I enjoyed Flashman on the march which is set amongst a war between an Abyssinian Emperor and British colonial forces, but didn't find Royal Flash as interesting which is set in Germany and Denmark.

I found it interesting to find out more about the historical characters and events that are in the stories.

Mr Fraser is no more

He passed away on the 2th of january.
I like the flashman books,an interresting mixt of humour and history,often very exotic settings.
For years i thought Mr Fraser was from the young generation of writer so vivid his style was,then i discover he was a grand-father who actualy did some of those wars.
Very rare to read a ex army with a sense of humour depicting his hero as a big coward an scoundrel!Can't see chris ryan,allan mathison,and co writing this way.
I read his book with large space of time betwin then,systematic funny writing can be unerving(can't cope with Pratchett or sharpe!i know!!)

I would love to find his none fiction books,they should be very interresting,any of you read them.

So good by to the old flashy,fair well,wish on you the thousand virgins of muslim paradise ans many more

Back