• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George Pelecanos

Any Pelecanos fans out there? I just finished his latest "The Night Gardener" and I loved it. He is great with dialogue and I love how he is always mentioning music in his stories. It often seems like his books come with a soundtrack. Elmore Leonard is still my alltime favorite crime writer, but Pelecanos is not far behind.

The Night Gardener

It's so far the only Pelecanos book that I've read, but I loved it!:D
I've already bought two more and ordered an other...

Pelecanos used to be a hidden treasure passed among crime lit. fans by word of mouth in the late 90s. His best stuff is his earliest, Nick's Trip, Shoedog, King Suckerman. I've noticed a slight decline in his most recent work which I attribute to his involvement with the Wire and other TV projects and his desire to branch out into a slightly more literary realm, starting with Drama City in 05. His writing is just not that good to stand on its own. Pelecanos works best within the crime genre in the 4 corner block of a given D.C. neighborhood.

Back