• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George R. R. Martin: A Song Of Ice And Fire

Oponn said:
The thing that always stikes me about GRRM is the large amount of disagreement there is amongst fans as to their favourite characters. Personnally, I think Sansa is one of the most interesting characters, whereas Jon is just boring. :p

I think that's the wonderful part about this series. All too often in books there are characters whom you love uabashedly and those whom you detest greatly. Martin's characters are not infallible, they grow and change like any other human. With the exception of Joffery, (I think we can all agree he's a rotton, little insert expletive :rolleyes: ) these characters are not unconditionally likeable or not likeable.

Gerbil Chan said:
With the exception of Joffery, (I think we can all agree he's a rotton, little insert expletive :rolleyes: ) these characters are not unconditionally likeable or not likeable.

Yeah, no doubt about it the Prince is horrible, and Martin is supposed to make him horrible, since we never get a POV (Point of View) from Joffrey's character. So, every other character that talks about Joffrey hates him, so in turn, we hate him.

But I don't think it was Martin's intent to make you like or dislike any important character that gives you a POV, he is just telling the story through their personalities, so it's really up to YOU to decide who is truly good, or truly evil, or that they're all just human beings.

And my favorite character will always be Eddard, even if he is dead. He was
seriously, most kick a$$ in all aspects

Bran, Arya and Dany seem to be the most interesting to me. Dany continues to surprise. Arya is tough as hell and Bran, to me, is heading into the most interesting territory.

There's a little something for everyone there. Come on Feast!

Eddard....dead! Eddard DIES! Oh man!
Im half way through the first one and its great. I want a direwolf! Or do i..do they turn evil!?
Jon Snow is quite interesting so far. But i always side with the underdog bastard :D Arya is great too. Oh does Bran recover the use of his legs?

I'm so jealous of others who are just starting to read Martin. It simply doesn't get better than that in epic fantasy so savor it:)

My roommate started the first book a week ago. Only comments so far "Damn he really likes killing off the characters".

They're pretty all consuming if you really get into them. I read all of them that are in paperback in about a month. Intense--but I love that feeling of being immersed in a great set of books. And these are so uniform...its practically seamless from one book to the next.

And yeah, he's pretty free with the deaths but I'll tell you what that guy can get more mileage out of a dead character than most writers can get out of a living one.

Prolixic said:
And yeah, he's pretty free with the deaths but I'll tell you what that guy can get more mileage out of a dead character than most writers can get out of a living one.
Ah, lovely one there, Prolixic!

ds

Catalyst said:
Eddard....dead! Eddard DIES! Oh man!
Im half way through the first one and its great. I want a direwolf! Or do i..do they turn evil!?
Jon Snow is quite interesting so far. But i always side with the underdog bastard :D Arya is great too. Oh does Bran recover the use of his legs?

Oh...my fault, I thought everyone who reads this thread might have already read AGOT. Doesn't matter I guess, I wasn't really shocked because his character seemed to drift that way, I just didn't know how it would happen. Yeah, should have put that as a spoiler, and from now on I will.

Just finished ACOK, and was kind of disappointed in how things went out. Kind of felt like the ending of The Empire Strikes Back, but that's just my opinion.

SoS by the end of May hopefully

What plot line are you most interested in following in the upcoming book?

I'm really interested to see where Bran will end up, though Sansa is in an interesting situation right now.

What plot line are you most interested in following in the upcoming book?

I'm really interested to see where Bran will end up, though Sansa is in an interesting situation right now.

From reading the Advanced Chapters of A Feast for Crows, I would say Arya is defintely going down an interesting road. I also want to read Oakheart's to get the Dorne perspective, and Tyrion is simply the best character in epic fantasy, and it looks like he is going to meet the young Griff!

Hey dont worry Suhizzle i would have found out eventually. Gerbil Chan - i noticed you are reading Assassins Apprentice! Its my favourite book :D

Catalyst said:
Hey dont worry Suhizzle i would have found out eventually. Gerbil Chan - i noticed you are reading Assassins Apprentice! Its my favourite book :D

Excellent! The book was recommended to me by a friend. So far it's good; I hope to read more of her other books.

I just got back from a week's vacation where I read 3 paperbacks that I bought a while ago and have been sitting around collecting dust - Sleeper by Steven Harriman (horror), the 2nd Drenai book by David Gemmell and the 2nd Tiger & Del book by Jennifer Roberson (which were all enjoyable btw).

I've got a bunch of new/recent books on reserve at the Library that aren't available yet, so I picked up A Game of Thrones to re-read. Now I haven't re-read a book in quite some time, instead I have attempted to broaden my horizons by attempting to read (at least) 1 book by every single Fantasy author in the universe. :rolleyes:

But I just wanted to state how much I love the Song of Ice and Fire series. I am tearing thru A Game of Thrones at a breakneck pace. Can't wait for book 4!

Back