• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

German book

Leto_Atreides

Hello there,

I was wondering if any of you know a simple but well-written german book for me?
The thing is, I am not fluent in German but I would like to read german books to practice on.

I hope you can suggest a book for me, so that I can improve my german reading skills :)

Tschüß,

The german student :cool:

Die Verwandlung - Franz Kafka (twisted)
Krabat - Otfried Preußler (childrens book & easy)
Das Parfüm - Patrick Süßkind (creepy & fabulous & difficult)

Where are you from. I'm from Austria so when you have questions just ask.

hi, i'm originally from germany, i go back there in a couple month.
we had a thread on that topic earlier, just look around, maybe you can find it.
i would suggest FAUST by Goethe, sorry i was just kidding... :D no honestly, you could try FEAR STREET by R.L. Stine. They are easy and of good.
bye

Is there any big chain of bookshops near you? If so, they usually have a section of books in other languages.

I would suggest that you buy a copy of one of your favorite novels in German. Since you already know the plot and the dialog, it will be easy to guess the unfamiliar German words, and you will enjoy reading the story again.

Leto_Atreides said:
Hello there,

I was wondering if any of you know a simple but well-written german book for me?
The thing is, I am not fluent in German but I would like to read german books to practice on.

Hey,
I am more or less in your situation, not fluent in German but I live in Germany :cool: (well, I am studying here)

I started my german with easy German books, and the best was reading Erich Kaestner's children books. "Als ich ein kleiner junger war", if you have not read it yet.

One advise: do not read books that you love and you know by heart. Better choose new books that you have not read. This is kind of a test, whether you really understand or you understand because you remember it. Try also newspapers, the ones with many pictures and stupid articles, they are easy-to-read.

Good Luck:)

I love Erich Kaestner but I don't think his books are easy because the language of these books is very old-fashioned. Maybe it's better to read a book which isn't this old. I would suggest "Tintenherz" by Cornelia Funke.

Mafalda said:
I love Erich Kaestner but I don't think his books are easy because the language of these books is very old-fashioned. Maybe it's better to read a book which isn't this old. I would suggest "Tintenherz" by Cornelia Funke.

I do not think so. It was my very first German book after I have finished two or three German courses. Kaestner writes very easy, and makes one really into the book. I stopped looking into a dictionary because I wanted to know what will be next, skipped hard parts and nothing could hold me from continuing. Even not the German grammar!

Well, now I can read quite fast and even go to the Opera in a foreign language when there are German subtitels written. Again, I am not understanding each word and I am speaking very funny, but Erich Kaestner helped me with what I have :)

Back