• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Get yourself known

BronwenWPhoenix

I read the description for this forum, and I feel I have to ask: what is the best way to get yourself known?

I'm trying constantly to promote myself and my work and I'll be doing the emotionally draining but obligatory book signings again soon and wonder how far can I possibly get?

Forgive me if there's already a thread like this one elsewhere.

Book signings probably ain't the way to go, but what else do we have? I do book fairs, read for children, hand out business cards, get involved in forums, get short stories published, have a web site, tried author's den (like you, I see) etc., but I'm still small fry. My daughter writes one book, many agents love it and she's got a major publishing house interested.

The few successes I've had have come from happenstance that I just stay out there and keep plugging. If opportunity knocks, you have to happen to be in the vicinity of the door to hear it.

JohnB

John, you seem slightly disillusioned with the whole publishing industry. Do you self publish? Your website looks slightly cluttered, but I noticed you have many titles. Why do you consider yourself 'small fry'?

I am a new author, my first book came out under a year ago so I haven't really had the chance to feel like that yet. So far I've had some very good responses to my work including some sell-out book signings and great reviews. I'm not selling too badly either, although I have much grander plans in mind.

Good press is partly the key, I think, and being a journalist helps too!

Which agency is your daughter with? Perhaps I should send some of my work there.

what is the best way to get yourself known?

First of all, I think we need to discuss the worst way. The worst way is to turn up at forums, recommend a new book (typically self-published) and conveniently forget to mention that you are the author. That happens a lot here, and it seems that all think it an original plot, yet its so hackneyed that its easily spotted and the offending post is removed. Many 'authors' seem to think in false syllogisms: 1) hey, there's a book forum; 2) I have a book to sell; and 3) people on the book forum will buy my book. Not true.

A rung up from those trolls are the ones who turn up, say they are the author, make a few posts, and then leave satisfied they've seeded that site....no doubt onto the next. A very common breed, that.

These two examples are 99.9% of what happens, where people think plugging themselves will do them some sort of favour and that they have the right to think they can use someone else's webspace (which boils down to money) to gain free publicity.

Rare is the person with a book to plug who takes the time to integrate with the community. The person who gets to know its members and forgets about themselves and their agenda for a time and instead posts about the books they read. It is a community, after all, not a billboard.

I'm trying constantly to promote myself and my work and I'll be doing the emotionally draining but obligatory book signings again soon and wonder how far can I possibly get?
I'll skip my usual diatribe over self-publishing :)angry:) because what's done is done (what a waste of money though! - let's hope the credit crunch sees fewer resort to this). Book signings, as an unknown, are a waste of time. Some friends buy it, some interested parties buy it, but you are dependent on these people to create your buzz, and few of them are likely to head off to Amazon to write a review, or whatever. (Also, be aware of shill reviews on Amazon: usually spotted by unknown authors getting nothing but five star reviews by people who have never felt the need to review a book before or since. Even the best of writers get the occasional one star.)

Get yourself a blog. And I don't mean The Thought Pool which has been up on your site for a week now with not a single thought posted to it. A decent wordpress blog is probably best, in part because of its folksonomic feature that brings you in contact with other bloggers. Write about your writing, write about yourself, write about your journalism, write about the books you read, write about anything you are expert on: don't make the mistake that people may be interested in your books; you've got to make them interested in you, and you do that by providing regular and varied content that will have people coming back, maybe dropping you a comment or two, and eventually biting the bullet and giving your book a spin. It may be a struggle to get there, but it's better than waving the book in the faces of disinterested people.

Blogs really are the places to get coverage these days. From sending a copy of your book to a blogger you'll typically get a review of it which their readership will latch on to. You can offer yourselves for 'author tours' where you do the rounds on a variety of blogs answering questions and the like. All of it is a way of creating awareness. Take some time to read some of the thousands of book blogs out there, pick one or two that you think your book might best fit with, and where the blogger seems to know what they are talking about. No point asking a spy story fanatic to review your fantasy novel, etc.

I have a favourite link I like to bring out when it comes to self-promotion, and this is it: top ten self-promotion mistakes. It''s a good read.

Now, your site:

• This should be informative. With that in mind, I don't see the point in your splash screen: who really wants to sit through about fifteen seconds of nothing? Get them to the home page already.
  • No idea what purpose the calendar serves as its not interactive.
  • Put up some decent sized extracts of your books. Why would someone want to buy them if they can't get a taste for your writing?
  • You have some scrolling text that says "...what relevance does this have to what I'm trying to get across?", which is a good question: what relevance does it have for what your site is trying to get across?
  • What are you trying to get across? That you have a book or two to sell? Or that you are available for freelance journalism?
Also, as an aside, do you attend any of the readers/writers groups around Glasgow? In the case of writers' groups, networking is worthwhile. Weegie Wednesday, once a month, may interest you, if you don't know of it already:

Weegie Wednesday began two years ago on the initiative of Laura Marney, Liz Small and Eleanor Logan to provide an opportunity for writers, poets, publishers, booksellers, librarians, creative writing students or anyone else with an interest to get together socially once a month to talk about books and publishing.

Hi Stewart,

I've confused as to what you said about The Thought Pool, as there's quite a few blogs up on there and have been ever since it first went up.

The calendar is mainly for upcoming books signings and events and the scroll bar is just something fun that I thought I could change to another little message whenever I felt like it.

But asides from defending my website (which I'm very happy with by the way) I would like to thank you for the points you've made.

I was actually thinking of starting a wordpress blog to run aside The Thought Pool and I also post my blogs and articles on authors den. You've reminded me to do that now, so I'll have to start that up soon.

I actually think my book signings have been quite beneficial, you know?

And another thing; I took up the youwriteon initiative, which didn't cost me a penny by the way, as it seemed like an opportunity too good to miss. My 2nd book is now out there for free and I earn £1 royalty per book, so although the cover is only just being fixed, I cannot wait to get out there with my second novel instead of waiting quite a few months more for a more traditional contract with worse royalties.

But I don't see self publishing as a bad thing - it is working for many authors and there are many authors I respect who do self publish. I'm still trying to go down the traditional route.

I didn't mean to get into such an in-depth discussion about myself and what I'm doing right or wrong, but rather to explore other avenues of promotion. What works in the readers eyes etc.?

Nightswallow has already had a 10/10 review rating from BCF Reviews too http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/nightswallow-by-bronwen-winter-phoenix/

;)

I've confused as to what you said about The Thought Pool, as there's quite a few blogs up on there and have been ever since it first went up.
Ah, I see now. I hadn't realised that on clicking on the menu to get to it, that I then had to click on the text/graphcs to actually get to it.

The calendar is mainly for upcoming books signings and events and the scroll bar is just something fun that I thought I could change to another little message whenever I felt like it.
I was only curious since there's nothing doing with it currently.

I was actually thinking of starting a wordpress blog to run aside The Thought Pool and I also post my blogs and articles on authors den.
Thoroughly recommended.

I actually think my book signings have been quite beneficial, you know?
I don't know. :) Where have you done them, out of interest?

And another thing; I took up the youwriteon initiative, which didn't cost me a penny by the way, as it seemed like an opportunity too good to miss.
Phew!

But I don't see self publishing as a bad thing - it is working for many authors and there are many authors I respect who do self publish.
I suppose my of course it is a bad thing is a bit normative. But it's the way I think. If you are publishing a recipe book, an low-interest local history book, or just to see your work in book form as a personal thing, then it's fine. If it's self-publishing with the intent to sell, then we're missing out on tiers of quality control: filters like agents and editors. I've read a few self-published titles and I get offered loads via my blog (thank you, no thank you) and not yet have I come across something that I think why isn't this published properly?. It may just be I've been reading within the ninety percent of self-published titles encompassed by Sturgeon's law. Anyway, the age old battle of self-published versus regular publishing is something for another thread.

I'm still trying to go down the traditional route.
I don't blame you. [Note to self: Another thread, Stewart.]

...rather to explore other avenues of promotion. What works in the readers eyes etc.?
As a reader, I suppose things that can sway opinion are: a positive encomium from a respected writer gracing the cover; author accessibility; author interviews.

Many seem to use YouTube as a book promotional tool. Most of these 'book trailers' are rotten because they rarely give you an idea of the book. Two examples: Bad | Good. The first is bad because it's more like a trailer for a film and gives little info about the book, whereas in the second we get the author talking enthusiastically about the book and his experience in writing. (I have no doubts at all that the flashiness of the first may be perceived as better.) I've no idea how useful these videos are, but they exist as a promotional tool you may not have considered.

You don't appear to have a mailing list set up on your site. May be worthwhile.

I might add that self-published books are a turn off for a lot of publishers. At least that's how it is handled in Europe. Once you've gone the non-traditional route you're done for the most part except you're coming up with a bestseller right away which is rather unlikely. I'd never recommend self-publishing to anyone.

Thinking about promotion I agree with Stewart. Book signings don't help to get your name out there. There are a lot of people out there who review books those are the readers you should tend to first. Send them free copies. Of course there is always the possibility they don't like you but that's the way to go without a strong publisher behind you.

I recently signed a contract for a novel I wrote six years ago. I wrote it, picked it up six months later and re-wrote what I didn't like and put it away until mid of last year when I read it once again. I edited it and had it re-edited by someone else and paid for the work. It is now in editing with the publisher and most certainly will be published in the mid of next year.
What I mean is, if you deliver a fine work and the story doesn't suck your chances of finding a real publisher are much higher than being impatient and go the self-publishing way.

Another thing you could do is to offer free copies to the readers here who can send it to the next member who is interested in the book. Readers spread the word and if it's good (or bad) they will have a voice to talk about it. A lot of aspiring writers in germany ask in the German forums if there would be interest and most of the time it works out just fine. I'd give it a shot.

Btw. did you notice that your books are available on Amazon without a books description ? Something else you should keep an eye on. :)

I might add that self-published books are a turn off for a lot of publishers. At least that's how it is handled in Europe. Once you've gone the non-traditional route you're done for the most part except you're coming up with a bestseller right away which is rather unlikely. I'd never recommend self-publishing to anyone.

In a way I blame the hype around J.K. Rowling's success with the Harry Potter books. All of a sudden everyone thinks they have a novel in them, which they perhaps do, but some are better left where they are. Since she managed to publish her first novel (not without a struggle, mind) there seems to be so many who think their apprentice works need to see publication. These should be treated as a learning experience, wrapped up and put away for a while in order to let its author, assuming they are capable of seeing past themselves, to get a bit of perspective on their abililty. Instead, most send off to publishers, get the rejection slip, and then seek self-publication. Mistake!

I should point out one publisher I know of that happily accepts, not just unsolicited manuscripts, but previously self-published titles: SnowBooks. They're a retail savvy publisher and publish work in your line, Bronwen. They know retail is the way to get your name out there (i.e. making use of 3 for 2 tables, etc.)

Well my first book only came out in June 2008 and Pegasus were terrible with promotion and just generally kept me in the dark about it all. It was rather disappointing and the royalties weren't amazing either.

Apart from sending Nightswallow to them I didn't send it to any other normal publishers - you see I was hoping taking the deal with youwriteon would help me get noticed by some of the bigger publishers associated with them - there's Random House and Orion for a start.

And a lot of Waterstones stores are stocking the youwriteon books they published over Christmas - I'm just waiting for the cover change to take effect on mine.

I figured with youwriteon my second book will be out there, I can promote it and it might get noticed by someone big, therefore I can drop the youwriteon deal as soon as I get offered something else (another big plus of their free publishing initiative). So I thought why not?

Even Pegasus are going to make a decision about it in June, although my experience with them was a bit disheartening the first time round.

As for self publishing properly, I don't think I'd want to go down that route and I don't have the money. If Nightswallow gets republished by the traditional route through good sales/reviews then excellent, if it doesn't then at least I've tried and I'm working on a third novel right now.

With Escaping Dreams I had two sell-out book signings in Fife where I'm originally from, both at WH Smiths, then a WH Smith in Dundee, the book was also stocked at Waterstones in Fife, then I had a book signing at Borders in Glasgow Buchanon Street and then one in WH Smith in Sauchiehall Street (Glasgow again).

I've also had some good reviews.

I'm going to go all out with book signings this time, because I got to meet some lovely people along the way and it wasn't too disheartening.

About the book descriptions; I know there's a description for Escaping Dreams but for Nightswallow it may still be filtering through as with the new cover!

I should point out one publisher I know of that happily accepts, not just unsolicited manuscripts, but previously self-published titles: SnowBooks. They're a retail savvy publisher and publish work in your line, Bronwen. They know retail is the way to get your name out there (i.e. making use of 3 for 2 tables, etc.)

I am actually going to send Nightswallow there - I discovered Snowbooks a couple of months ago!

Novel Trailers

On the subject of getting your name out there have any of you tried making a trailer for your story? Much like a movie trailer, but for your book instead.
I have made one for my first novel and was surprised at how easy and cheap it was. I think the jury is still out on how effective they are, but the feedback I do get is pretty good. In fact I had another author whose book is coming out April with St. Martin's Press ask me to make one for him and some of the major publishing houses are starting to produce them as well.

Here's mine:

YouTube - James A. Forrest's Eye of the Storm

I think the jury is still out on how effective they are
Having just watched that, I'd be questioning the judgement of that jury. Now, I'm not likely to buy the book anyway, but there ws nothing in there that would make me want to read a book: some clouds, some lightning, some words. Further up in this thread I posted two 'book trailers' and I think yours falls into the category of the former in that it really tells us bugger all about the book or writer.

But isn't the idea to give the viewer a taste of the story. I think a successful trailer will raise interest in about a minute or less. I think of the trailer more as a visual form of the synopsis that would appear in the flap or back of the book.
A great deal of books are advertised in this way going back to the simple Dianetics commercial from the 80s to this one:

YouTube - Stephen King Book Trailer For Duma Key

Now I'll grant you, we all know about Stephen King, but I think the premise of the trailer is simple. It doesn't tell you much at all about the book, but does raise interest.

I actually like book trailers that capture what a book is about. So far the ones I have seen mostly are just plain and don't tell the reader what the books is going to be about. There was only one that really impressed me.
Chelsea Cain's book trailers of Sweetheart.

Chelsea Cain :: Excerpts

A book trailer is like a movie trailer. No one's going to go watch a movie without being teased enough. You can't tease someone with something plain and boring.

Now I'll grant you, we all know about Stephen King, but I think the premise of the trailer is simple. It doesn't tell you much at all about the book, but does raise interest.
I think the Stephen King one has a different purpose to the others in that he's a known quantity and that thirty second clip is just letting anyone know who reads him, who doesn't already know, that he's got a new one out. He's a saturated brand that needs only a nod like that to remind people he's still around. It sits squarely in the cash cow quadrant of a BCG Matrix.

For an unknown quantity, there's more of a struggle in creating a presence and planting the buy me seed in the punter's mind. Self-published, it's more likely a dog than a question mark, in that it's not likely to sell much and, in order to do so, it needs, at least to my mind, some info about the book and to introduce the author. It's the start of creating a brand. It's why new products on the market preach their benefits till they are blue in the face while - to get away from books - Cadbury's/McDonald's/etc. can make short movies about absolutely nothing with only a signature tune or logo to maintain brand awareness.

So was that your review of The Essentials Of Economics then, Stewart? :cool:

And to think I'd almost managed to forget about the BCG matrix...

I suppose part of the issue is wondering who on earth thinks, "I need to read a book", and stumbles off to YouTube for ideas?

Help please lol

Ok, um... I am totally new to this site. I hope it will help me in some way. Maybe one of you can help me. I'm writing a book and I believe its really close to completion. It'll probably turn out to be a series. What are my next steps? How do a find a publisher or agent? Ahh I'm just really confused. If you've been in my situation and have actually succeeded in a positive manner than please help me. :) Thanks!
~Kim

Back