• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting back into reading?

Ms.

The last while i've read about 7/8 books back to back(mainly Nabokov) and i started my next book only to find myself unable to get beyond 40 pages. I've switching books from different author to genre but am unable to read beyond 80 pages without a lose of interest

This has lasted a few weeks,what do you do to get outta your funk?

haha i was just thinking about this.. i haven't been able to finish Anne of Green Gables and Candide by Voltaire, while i already started another book today.. hm, i never did finish The Green Mile either.. i guess i just bring the book to school and read some of it during class and i usually get right back into it. i also just read whatever book i seem to be desiring at the moment so i can enjoy it more

i usually just dont force myself to read anything, i just go to the library and find something that i find really interesting which gets me back into reading straight away. i didnt read for a few months at all and ive read about 5 books in the last month. id reccomend "the messiah code" by michael cordy and right now im reading "the women's room" by marilyn french..i cant put it down! :p

Ms. said:
find myself unable to get beyond 40 pages
unable to read beyond 80 pages without a lose of interest. This has lasted a few weeks,what do you do to get outta your funk?
Two words: short stories. I usually find something to love in any given year's edition of
—Pushcart Prize
—The O. Henry Awards/Prize Stories
—Best American Short Stories
(I usually find something not to love in any given year, too, so two more words: library books.)

I'll start a few books, only to switch to others. I let my interest carry me to the material that I want to read. I have found that if I focus exclusively on one author or one genre, that my riding list piles up and I don't really accomplish much when I actually do read. To me, it's not that bad of an idea to take reading breaks as well. Some time at night when I have some free time, I'll listen to CDs or do something around the house just to break up the routine of things from time to time. Don't force yourself to read anything you don't want to read--no one gets stars on a bulletin board for doing that.:p

This is why I always try to read different genres/themes. Not going as drastic as genre fiction most of the time but if I read a russian classic I will follow it up with some modern like a Martel, Saramago, or Eco. I also try and vary the lengths of the books I read. Reading tome after tome is ponderous. La variété est l'épice de la vie.

I mope a bit and pick up some junky short novels. After a couple days of reading garbage I can usually get back into anything with decent writing/plotlines.

I usually read a pretty good mix of genres, so I don't get burned out on one particular thing. When I find my attention span is short, I grab a book of short stories or novellas.

ions said:
La variété est l'épice de la vie.
YES!!

ions said:
This is why I always try to read different genres/themes. Reading tome after tome is ponderous. La variété est l'épice de la vie.

Exactly what I do!.:eek: The only author whom I did not tire of after reading and reading and reading their works was Anton Chekhov-one of my all-time favs.:cool:

Back