• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Girls - Weight Issues

ions said:
If your weight is changing rapidly it could be due to some external influence. Birth control maybe? Very common issue with some birth control pills.

This has been a killer for me. I have always struggled with my weight and it runs in my family to be that way, but when I went on birth control last year my weight skyrocketed quickly. I gained 20 pounds in what seemed to be the blink of an eye. I didn't know that it was going to affect me like that until after the 20 pounds had been put on...and it's made me extremely sensitive to sunlight as well...and I'm fair skinned to begin with, so this summer I've spent a lot of time indoors because even with sunscreen on I get burnt.

Tara, try switching methods. Not all hormonal birth control methods affect you the same way. For example, if you're on the pill, try switching to the patch or something. Lots of options. Maybe you'll be able to go get your vitamin D again! :)

tarablythe said:
This has been a killer for me. I have always struggled with my weight and it runs in my family to be that way, but when I went on birth control last year my weight skyrocketed quickly. I gained 20 pounds in what seemed to be the blink of an eye. I didn't know that it was going to affect me like that until after the 20 pounds had been put on...and it's made me extremely sensitive to sunlight as well...and I'm fair skinned to begin with, so this summer I've spent a lot of time indoors because even with sunscreen on I get burnt.

Depo provera?

As has been mentioned you gain weight by taking on more fuel than you burn. It sounds extremely simple. Complications arise when your resting caloric burn count lowers due to whatever. Or certain things tricking your body into states that increase it's ability to store calories as fat. Still best thing you can do is eat several small meals a day with the knowledge of roughly how many calories you take in versus how many you burn. As long as these 2 caloric counts are very close to each other you're gonna be fine.

Edit: Just wanted to add that it's specifically DARK chocolate that's good for you and only if it's made well without piles of additives. The typical crap you buy at the convenience store is doing you no good.

Try running. It's great exercise and will make you feel awesome. If you have sun issues you can always do it inside at the gym.

Zolipara said:
Can you get inorganic chocolate?

You bet. As Stewart mentioned, Mars, Nestle & Hershey are the worst. Plus they taste like shit.

I like Art Bars. The dark/coconut ones are my favorite.

ions said:
Edit: Just wanted to add that it's specifically DARK chocolate that's good for you and only if it's made well without piles of additives. The typical crap you buy at the convenience store is doing you no good.

Shhhh!! I enjoy my Cadbury Black Forest chocolate too much to give it up! It's good for me I tell you! ;)

I diet, but I don't do deprevation dieting. I believe everything is allowable in moderation, more so if you exercise.

My favorite chocolate is Endangered Species Chocolate. They make a bar with dark chocolate and raspberries that I love. The site is under contruction as I post this but it would otherwise lists all available bars and their goal.

I have a (memberless) diet LJ/blog if anyone is interested. I do portion dieting rather than deprevation dieting - that is I'm trying to reduce and control my portions rather than cut out all the foods I enjoy. PM me if you'd like the link - even if only to read what I have to say.

Renee said:
that is I'm trying to reduce and control my portions rather than cut out all the foods I enjoy.

That really is the way to do it (excepting fast food like McD's of course). I think a lot of the weight issues in this country could really be solved by keeping away from fast food and using portion control.

BTW, my favorites are the dolphin and orangutan bars. They're really great.

mehastings said:
BTW, my favorites are the dolphin and orangutan bars. They're really great.
You will have to clear up dolphin/orangutan bars. Gave me some bad visuals.

sirmyk said:
You will have to clear up dolphin/orangutan bars. Gave me some bad visuals.

What kind of visuals were you getting? I was talking about the endangered species bars that Renee likes. The dolphin is chocolate with dried cherries in it. The orangutan is chocolate with coconut. I'm really a junky for good expensive chocolate. I try to make myself feel better by buying fair trade organicl grown bars. I pretty much only eat Art Bars and Endangered Species Bars unless graham crackers and marshmallows are involved. That's the ONLY situation when I will purchase hershey bars (because my drunk friends waste too much chocolate to buy good bars).

The only thing Hershey Bars are good for is junking out on smores.

I can see how someone might get an odd impression when someone says they like Bat Bars or Chimp Mints. LOL!

I've only had the Wolf, Grizzly, and Rainforest Bars.

Ice said:
One square?? Surely thats wrong and they actually mean several bars :D

Ice, I'm sure what they meant was one square box. At least that is how I would interpret it!

:D

I eat quite well for a student. I love my fruit and only eat Green and Blacks chocolate if i want chocolate. I only drink water and dont like biscuits and i never drink fizzy juice ever. Maybe its the exercise thing. Iv just started a job and am getting used to working 5 days a week. At the weekend i just want to crash and relax. My favourite exercise is horse riding (and yes it is exercise and the horse does not do all the work) but that is far too expensive.

Catalyst said:
I eat quite well for a student. I love my fruit and only eat Green and Blacks chocolate if i want chocolate. I only drink water and dont like biscuits and i never drink fizzy juice ever. Maybe its the exercise thing. Iv just started a job and am getting used to working 5 days a week. At the weekend i just want to crash and relax. My favourite exercise is horse riding (and yes it is exercise and the horse does not do all the work) but that is far too expensive.

what the mu-heck is "fizzy juice"?

:D

Sounds like you need a good weekend binge of donuts and chocolate milk!

Lol fizzy juice as in Cola etc! My god fizzy juice sounds so silly heh! I never thought what i was writing! It sounds so english! But im Scottish...They call cola etc Ginger in Scotland.
I do eat chocolate just not enough to put on weight really. Can stress make you put on weight but not by eating too much :)

Catalyst said:
Lol fizzy juice as in Cola etc! My god fizzy juice sounds so silly heh! I never thought what i was writing! It sounds so english! But im Scottish...They call cola etc Ginger in Scotland.
I do eat chocolate just not enough to put on weight really. Can stress make you put on weight but not by eating too much :)

I kind of figured it was soda. Just bustin' your chops a little! I love the way you wankers across the pond talk! :D

Stress, in and of itself, can't directly make you put on weight. The only thing that does that is taking in more calories than you burn.

period.

Damn! I was trying to find an easy way out lol!
Wankers...lol! Nice. I presume you are talking about the English :D :D

Back