• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Giving Back To The Community

chris302116,
There is for example, voluntary work associated with the Police, Teaching and Hospitals. Many Charities rely on voluntary workers, yet make vast profits and only a small percentage ever reaches the good causes.
Forgive me Chris, I'm a little bit slow, but this still doesn't clear things up for me. Could you perhaps give an example of a Charity? Or are we talking just generally? Generally, I'd have to say that yes in big organised charities there probably is a great deal of wastage,fatcat salaries etc.
But I was under the impression that we were talking about volunteering in your local community for a diverse range of things, from the local library to the homeless shelter etc, basically anything that affects the area and community in which you live. This type of volunteering is extremely important because it helps fill the gaps that are sometimes too small to warrant any financial attention.

Gem said:
chris302116,

Forgive me Chris, I'm a little bit slow, but this still doesn't clear things up for me. Could you perhaps give an example of a Charity? Or are we talking just generally? Generally, I'd have to say that yes in big organised charities there probably is a great deal of wastage,fatcat salaries etc.
But I was under the impression that we were talking about volunteering in your local community for a diverse range of things, from the local library to the homeless shelter etc, basically anything that affects the area and community in which you live. This type of volunteering is extremely important because it helps fill the gaps that are sometimes too small to warrant any financial attention.

Ok, take homeless for example. In large cities there will always be homeless people. If we could home all the homeless tonight, by tomorrow night there would be another influx of people. Word would get round that people are being housed and others would follow. We always have to have a given number of homeless at any one time and Governments know this.

It is the Governments responsibility to look after the homeless and have the proper networks in place and full time qualified and salaried people to do this. But while there are people volunteering to help, this alleviates the government from their responsibility.

Maybe I have expanded this thread too far off Muggles topic. But the word volunteering can open up many new debates.

Charities are a whole different topic than volunteering.

I thought there may be more forum members that would be willing to tell us of the volunteer work they do for different organizations. Maybe some of you just need a little urging. :p

My wife was a volunteer for 10 years at a Hospital working 5 days a week and 6 to 8 hour days. She was also the President of the Hospital Auxiliary. All on a volunteer basis. :)

savvyambrose said:
Actually, I just applied to volunteer at the Children's Hospital near me. It was a rough process; orientation, interview, medical tests, another orientation...but it's going to be worth it. I get to play with little kids on the general medicine floor, and I get to work up to kids with more severe injuries. It'll be good practice, I plan on going into the medical field.

I think a lot of people just don't know where to volunteer, or how to get started. It's as easy as looking in the newspaper though, so there really is no excuse. Unless you're too busy with a job and a family, of course. But being a teenager, I think everyone my age has a little time to spare.

I'm very impressed that as young as you are, you are making the choice to do this. You will undoubtedly be better off for it not only in your future medical training, but in relating to others and perhaps creating a good link with one or two of the kids that they feel inspired with hope to continue on, no matter what they are facing. Hats off to you.:)

Complements to "all" those that have or are currently doing work as a volunteer. I use the word volunteer in a broad sense as there are many ways to "give back" to the Community. Again, my complements.

Back