• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Glen Duncan: I, Lucifer

I'm not that up on my heaven and hell battles. The idea of this all loving, christian god striking out in a warlike manner certainly goes against everything they try to ram down your gullet in Sunday school.

At least to me. I wish more people here would chime in on this....hint...hint....

Motokid said:
I'm not that up on my heaven and hell battles. The idea of this all loving, christian god striking out in a warlike manner certainly goes against everything they try to ram down your gullet in Sunday school.

At least to me. I wish more people here would chime in on this....hint...hint....

I didn't really enojy that book and I've read about 7 books since I finished it, but I don't recall thinking that God was trying to trick Lucifer into being too busy to lead his droves in war. Perhaps I missed the point though, I was so busy being aggrivated by the book. I kindof thought of it as God actually extending the olive branch to Lucifer. I think Lucifer had talked about being God's favorite and I figured that perhaps he still was. Obviously, being omniscient, God already knows what the outcome of the war will be. So, perhaps he really is giving Lucifer a shot to straighten out. This way, when they manage to destroy everything Lucifer will know it's nobody's fault but his own that he is stuck alone in nothingness.

I don't know. I'm probably reading into it too much, or perhaps too little. I also don't remember all the little details of the book. It didn't impress me that much, so I didn't really log it all in my memory.

But if God is all powerful, and all conquering, and the creator of all, the most supreme of all supreme beings, couldn't he/she simply destroy hell and satan at his/her simplist of whims?

Or are we to believe that Lucifer's powers are equal to Gods powers? That Lucifer can indeed battle to a draw with God? Or even defeat God to the point that Hell still exists? Can neither entity defeat the other on the others home turf?

And how do angels and tormented souls do battle? How does a heavenly entity strike down and destroy, or make one of Hells demons submit defeat?

Well, obviously God is going to win in battle. I just think maybe he's trying to give Lucifer a shot. That way, when Lucifer screws it up God can just say "well, I told you so". I don't know. I guess I just didn't read into it to much because I was more interested in moving on to something more desirable.

But if it's so obvious that God can/will win then why doesn't he/she just pull the damn trigger? I mean, why got to battle if not to win it? Why go to the effort to misguide, and trip up Lucifer? Why send Lucifer down this wierd human path of indulgence if the final outcome is so easily had? If god knows all, he/she would know that Lucifer will not take the deal. Why play the game?

It's a fun read if you start thinking about some of these things, at least that's how I think.

So far I'm really enjoying this book. I can see why some people would find it to be blasphemous, but I can't say I was expecting Lucifer to be on God's side. I agree that the British slang feels awkward at times, but it's not completely hindering my appreciation of the book.

Has anyone read Duncan's other works? I wouldn't mind reading another book from him once I'm finished with this one.

Back