• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good Classics

manatherindrell

I don't normally like the classic books by the great authors of the past like Mark Twain or John Stienbeck but I have found a coulple that I liked, like The Old Man and the Sea and Of Mice and Men, and Watership Down. Anybody else have some classics that they liked?

Watership Down, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Animal Farm, Treasure Island, Lolita. I'm sure that there are heaps more, but my brain just isn't working at the moment.

War and Peace, Oliver Twist, Northanger Abbey (and most of Jane Austen's other books, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and many others I just can't think of right now.

I have to concur with MonkeyCatcher in regards to Lolita. I'd also give a ringing endorsement to The Grapes of Wrath, anything by Mark Twain, as well as Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

the stranger, the bell jar, the jungle, the little prince, of mice and men, lord of the flies

there's more classics out there than you'd imagine. well, theres a lot of 20th century modern literature as well.

manatherindrell said:
I don't normally like the classic books by the great authors of the past like Mark Twain or John Stienbeck but I have found a coulple that I liked, like The Old Man and the Sea and Of Mice and Men, and Watership Down. Anybody else have some classics that they liked?

You're kidding, right? The books I love are mostly classics, and I like to think of the newer books I love as classics-to-be. This question seems totally inverted to me, but should be, rather, are there any classics you don't like? This is, after all, a book forum.

Try The Moon Is Down as another short Steinbeck novel. After that, try graduating to Grapes of Wrath. It's worth it.

In general, I prefer classics. Give me Mrs. Dalloway over Bridget Jones any day.

A few of the classic authors I love, who rarely get mentioned here, are: E.M. Forster, Thomas Mann, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Virginia Woolf, Flannery O'Connor, William Faulkner . . . . . .

for shorter pieces I don't here enough about the deserving works of Christopher Isherwood, Maxim Gorky, Jean Stafford, and Ring Lardner, among others.

Authors I think are writing the classics of the future are Annie Proulx, Joan Didion, Haruki Murakami . . .

So-called classic authors that I think will never regain popularity are Wm. Thackeray, Henry James, Matthew Arnold . . .

Back