• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good Detective Books?

unbroken

I'm looking for some good detective books. I've read the obvious Blade Runner, but other than that, I have no clue what else to read or look for. I'm willing to read anything thats fiction/sci-fi, it would be even awesome if they were "dark", though, basically I'm just looking for a good detective read. Any thoughts?

Isaac Asimov's The Caves of Steel, Ellery Queen's The American Gun Mystery and Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile and Peril at End House I can thoroughly recommend. They are all great detective novels that keep you guessing right to the end.

Ummm, I read mostly crime so I can give you some author names and book titles that have been detective novels.

- Robert Crais, The Forgotten Man
-Michael Connely, The Poet
- James Patterson, 4th of July
-Harlan Coben, Gone for Good

Lani

Is it both Sci-Fi and Mystery/Detective you're looking for? Or just "dark" detective stories?

If you want both detective and speculative, I can recommend Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. Vampires and a murder mystery, with a tough-talking and couragous heroine. Also very dark.

Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme stories are pretty dark, but they're not speculative at all. Check out The Coffin Dancer if you'd like to try him out.

KristoCat said:
Is it both Sci-Fi and Mystery/Detective you're looking for? Or just "dark" detective stories?

Basically, I'm looking for a mix of anything, but mainly books that include all three(dark,sci-fi,detective) would be awesome also. Also, I'm looking for books that are "essential" detecive reads, I'm not really into stuff done by small time writers or stuff that is'nt published.

For essential detective reads forget about the sci-fi and read Edgar Allen Poe's detective short stories, Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Stewart said:
For essential detective reads forget about the sci-fi and read Edgar Allen Poe's detective short stories, Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, etc.

I agree; Conan Doyle and Poe are both amazing detective authors - when I was very young I read the entire collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, and they've stayed with me and always will I think. They're well-written, as well as intriguing and most definitely dark.

I'd say anything by Agatha Christie is a must, my fav's are the Poirot stories, and one called 'And then there were none'.

Back