• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

good vampire fiction/pirate fiction suggestions?

i know those two categories seem entirely random and far apart, but at the current time i'm interested in both.

i've read treasure island and have requested captain blood from the library(btw, what's the difference between captain blood and captain blood: the odyssey?)

I've also read dracula and will soon read the diaries of the family dracul.

so, any other suggestions?

thanks i advance!

People who enjoy Vampire stories usually really enjoy the Anne Rice books.

The Vampire Chronicles are enduring.... she wrote the first installment in the 70's if I'm not mistaken. While it is great to read a series in order.... #5, Memnoch, is positively fantastic.

And in regards to Queen of the Damned.... hopefully you didn't see the movie, because the book is actually a real adventure and not just a rock video on a budget.

Hermione,

There's a thread in the horror forum already where people make their vampire recommendations. Perhaps you should browse that.

As for Pirates, we don't have such a thread, but have you considered Peter Pan by J.M Barrie and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson?

thanks for those suggestions! I'll try to find the thread, but then I'm probably just saying that and will never get around to it unless someone posts the link.

I've read both peter pan and treasure island.

For pirates and some humor you might like Gideon Defoe's books. I liked The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientist, I've not read the others yet.

Not since "Moby-Dick..".No, not since "Treasure Island..".Actually, not since Jonah and the Whale has there been a sea saga to rival "The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists," featuring the greatest sea-faring hero of all time, the immortal Pirate Captain, who, although he lives for months at a time at sea, somehow manages to keep his beard silky and in good condition. Worried that his pirates are growing bored with a life of winking at pretty native ladies and trying to stick enough jellyfish together to make a bouncy castle, the Pirate Captain decides it's high time to spearhead an adventure. While searching for some major pirate booty, he mistakenly attacks the young Charles Darwin's Beagle and then leads his ragtag crew from the exotic Galapagos Islands to the fog-filled streets of Victorian London. There they encounter grisly murder, vanishing ladies, radioactive elephants, and the Holy Ghost himself. And that's not even the half of it.

I'll try to find the thread, but then I'm probably just saying that and will never get around to it unless someone posts the link.

Here you go. :D

I've read The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists as well. It was quite fun, and certainly a gross departure from Treasure Island and Peter Pan.

I actually bought this really interesting book called Pirates by John Matthews. It's basically this book ("for young readers") that tells a lot of interesting things about pirates and--here is why I bought it--it has little treasure maps and interesting things you can pull out of it. I thought it was really cute, and it actually was interesting although I think it was intended for a bit below my reading level.

I found it at Wal-Mart, and it is very nifty. Maybe next time your mother drags you to Wal-Mart you can keep an eye out for it. It has a skull and crossbones on the front with no words, but the skull has an eye patch, a gold tooth, and a red jewel in his eye.

(Just in case, here is the Amazon link!) http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-John-Matthews/dp/1416927344/sr=8-1/qid=1164349466/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4428075-2059358?ie=UTF8&s=books I hope I made myself useful and no one is going to laugh at me for suggesting it.

i've actually been planning to buy the john matthews book for a while, mostly for the diagram of the ship and the diff. pirate flags in the book. i have another of his books, one about king arthur, and it turned out to be quite good, so i'm looking forward to getting it.

Vampires, I can help you with, as I started a search in the horror... :D

Here is a great list of about 50 of them. Some really old and others quite new.

Well, I just finished reading The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, and it was one of the best books I've ever read, which just happened to be about vampires...really about Dracula. And, if you happen to be interested in any fantasy novels, there's a nice book called The Rover, by Mel Odom which deals with pirates and spends a good amount of time in the water. Its funny, its about a halfling Librarian in a world where books and reading have been forgotten...except at the Vault-of-All-Known-Knowledge...i.e. the Library!

Back