• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Google Earth

Has anybody been playing with this? I heard of it a few months back, when they were broadcasting images from New Orleans after hurricane Katerina. I've only just downloaded the free interface this weekend. I tell you, this thing is unbelievable!!!!!! You can fly over any area of the earth! You can type in an address and you will fly to it! You can zoom in or out, and change the tilt angle. It is not all in high resolution - some unpopulated areas are pretty grainy. But many population centers are in stunningly high resolution. I've been flying over my own city (New York City) and have located my own home - I could see my car in my parking lot! Bear in mind these are not real-time images. They are composite satellite photos that may have been taken months ago - I'm not really sure about that.
There are lots of tools you can use - you can turn on and off layers that display road names, bodies of water, borders, community names, you can measure distances between any two points - and get driving directions too.
Well, I've also checked out the Panama Canal (I always wanted to see just what that was about), the Eiffel Tower, and many other of the earth's natural and man-made landmarks. IT'S A BLAST! Check it out!!!
http://earth.google.com/
I recommend NOT installing the goole desk-top and all the other hazzeri - unless you want that stuff. I don't want big-brother taking over my computer. I'd prefer to be big-brother myself with this fantastic tool.

Yep, it is a great thing.
I've seen place where Kenny's house is near London on the Google, and my own in Moscow...
I couldn't have found my dacha though - not enough resolution, alas - and that's only 25 km from Moscow border... I may have liked to order some photos, if they are not too expensive.
The thing is unbelievably cute, we ruined about half an hour of our working day, when our Boston colleague showed us his home, and all the guys crowded around my table to peek at it, and then taking turns to ask to be shown their own birth places, homes of girlfriends etc.

I downloaded Google Earth a couple of months ago and yes, its amazing. I find myself having a look at things at least a couple of times a week.

The community pages are good too as there are some fun things to do and interesting things to see.

Where I live is so clear I can even see my garden furniture! :)

Back