• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Google Earth

direstraits

Whoa...

Who's playing with Google Earth? It's about (almost) the coolest thing I've seen from the net in recent times. Tell me roughly where you are in the world, and I'll try and find the street where you live via satellite images!

ds

Pretty much only works for the U.S tho :) You won't get a satellite view of anywhere else.

However, yes, it's very cool!

*EDIT* Wait, maybe you will... i thought this was google maps :) I did download this program. I couldn't get to grips with it tho!

Ah, I must have missed that.

I didn't play with Google Maps, coz it's quite useless for me, but Earth is too cool. I'm looking for stuff like Great Wall of China, Petronas Twin Towers and the place I trained in Wesborough, MA.

ds

If you like that then I have a site you will enjoy a lot. It's called Space Imaging As the name suggests it's various shots ( many in colour ) from spaces using satellites to photograph places on the Earth.

Hey, I just downloaded that, it is really cool! I managed to find our condo but it was too fuzzy to see in detail ( naturally I was hoping to see my cats sitting in the garden, lol) It's great fun, should keep me happy for a few hours.......

I haven't DLed Google Earth yet. I've thought about it, but wonder if I would use it enough to rationalize installing the software.

direstraits said:
the place I trained in Wesborough, MA.

Do you mean Westborough? What on earth were you doing there?

Yup. I was sent there for training many years ago. On my first day on US soil a series of events happened to me that I will never forget, but I'll say I enjoyed my time there.

I travelled to Boston on weekends. Anything I missed in Westborough, mehastings? :D

ds

direstraits said:
I travelled to Boston on weekends. Anything I missed in Westborough, mehastings? :D

Doubtful. It's a shithole. I went to my EMD (emergency medical dispatcher) training at the bunker there. It was horrible and spent most of my time getting trashed at Bugaboo Creek.

Boston on the other hand is full of great stuff.

Don't know about the shithole bit. The office I went to and the place I stay are like only 1 km apart. Nothing to see on the way, just me terrorizing the poor sods on the same road as me because I'm used to driving on the right side of the road.

I'll say this though - the people where I visited were not rude, arrogant, violent, evil or whatever that's depicted in my TV. In fact, there were friendly, helpful, courteous, very very pretty (grin) and generally nice people. When I said this to my other trainees who were American, they just told me I'm in the right part of the U.S. :)

ds

direstraits said:
Don't know about the shithole bit. The office I went to and the place I stay are like only 1 km apart. Nothing to see on the way, just me terrorizing the poor sods on the same road as me because I'm used to driving on the right side of the road.
The town is pretty much one big industrial park. It's not nearly as nice to see as the rest of the state. Don't worry about your driving. People in Massachusetts are notorious for being overly agressive and erratic drivers.

I'll say this though - the people where I visited were not rude, arrogant, violent, evil or whatever that's depicted in my TV. In fact, there were friendly, helpful, courteous, very very pretty (grin) and generally nice people. When I said this to my other trainees who were American, they just told me I'm in the right part of the U.S. :)
That's interesting. People from the Northeast get a bad rap for being pushy, brusk and constantly in a rush. It's the Southerners who are supposed to be the "hospitable" ones. In all honesty, I think television and certain Americans go a long way towards giving us all bad raps. I'm glad you met some nice people. We're pretty because we have such mixed ethnic backgrounds. It's evolution at work.

On the first day I arrived in the US, I lost both my luggages (everything I brought over), recovered one after waiting for an hour, drove from Logan to Westborough while learning to cope with the wheel on the wrong side of the car, punctured both my tyres when I bumped the pavement, stay the whole evening out in the cold awaiting my contact with no phone number (it was Sunday, thus nobody), got towed back all the way to Boston, and got lost trying to find a hotel that night while battling jet lag. If it weren't for some really nice people I'd have flipped.

It's funny what you said about being overly aggressive drivers. I offered to drive this chap who was studying in a university nearby, and he was holding on to the door handle and the handle above the passenger seat window when I was doing about 60km/h, saying that I was going a tad 'too fast'.

Btw, I found the place I trained in Westborough in Google Earth. Pretty darn cool.

ds

Back