• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Great Gardening Books

mehastings

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, so I don't think this has been discussed before.

Over the past two years my houshold has been slowly moving toward sustainable living. There are many things we can't change at this time (like how we heat our home), but we have made huge pushes in recycling, composting and particularly being more conscious of what we put in our mouths. Buying organic vegetables is not cheap and options, even in the summer, are often limited. So, this year we are planning on starting our own garden.

Unfortunately, the garden location is not going to be ready on time, so this year we are going to do a container garden. Which, leads me to the reason for this thread. All you gardeners out there must have a favorite gardening book. These days, mine is The Bountiful Container by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. This book adresses just about any issue or question a container gardener could come across. Not only do the authors write about container, tool and soil needs, they also discuss hundreds of fruits, vegetables and herbs that grow well in containers. The authors have written a well organized and easy to understand manual that contains so much interesting information that the reader can almost forget they are reading it to learn rather than for fun. The only fault is that although the authors address the issue of organic container gardening, it isn't always clear whether the soil components they discuss are organic or not. All in all though, it is a great book and I'm willing to overlook this one fault (especially since I've got a copy of How To Grow Organic Vegetables In Containers (…Anywhere!) by Eileen Logan on its way to me anyway.

So, gardeners, anyone else have a favorite they'd like to suggest as most of us here are moving into gardening season soon?

Congratulations on making the switch to sustainable living. What do you plan on growing this season?

I have gathered information from many sources and don't have one favorite book, but have read magazines, such as Organic Gardening, books published by Rodale Institute, and Garden Way booklets, now called Storey bulletins.

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
Books about homesteading
The Seed-Starter's Handbook by Nancy Bubel

An Agricultural Extension can provide information on planting times, pest control, plant care, etc.

My favorite all-around source of sustainable-living info is The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. It covers everything from gardening to raising/butchering livestock to cooking and canning. Carla Emery updates her book every few years, and it is best to get the lastest one available. Her book is an interesting read, even if you don't want to go THAT far off the grid:)

Threre are two great magazines I'd recommed: Countryside and Backwoods Home Living. Both are excellent sources of information and encouragement for folks wanting to break away from the tyranny of life on the grid. Backwoods Home Living has a great website with an active forum. I'm not sure about Countryside..but I always liked their magazine.

Occlith said:
What do you plan on growing this season?

This year we are going to take it very easy in light of the fact that we've got a lot of other stuff going on and the whole container/lack of space issue. So, we are going to go with:

Some kind of bush bean (haven't decided on variety yet)
Cucumbers
Swiss Chard - Bright Lights Variety
Lettuce Mix or Mesclum Mix (still deciding)
Sugar Snap Peas
Tomatos - Viva Italia (plum) and Tiny Tim (cherry)
Sweet Basil
Chives
Rosemary

Most of these are things I've grown in gardens in the past, so I already know how to care for them, I just need to adjust for the containers. We could add a few things in here or there, but I'd say this is most of it. Next year I will have a rather large plot of land ready, so I'll be able to grow much more.

Looks like a good start anyway~ I have kids who would not touch a regular tomato if it were chocolate, but will eat cherry tomatoes all day. Same with peas..if they're cooked, forget it, but let them pick em and eat em straight from the bush..GONE:eek: I had to just close my eyes and concentrate on all those vitamins they were getting that didn't come in a bottle or can;) If we do it again, I'll plant more of the stuff they liked and not worry about the rest.

Back