• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Great mysteries of our time debate - episode 1

RobertFKennedy

I'll try to post a series of topics here in general discussion which will spark a bit of lively, and hopefully intelligent, debate.

Here's the 1st one for discussion: What is your opinion on the existence of ghosts or any supernatural entities and/or realms? As a lot of books have the supernatural as a focal point I think it's a relevant question.

Cheers.

My beliefs are quite unoriginal I'm afraid. :)

RobertFKennedy said:
What is your opinion on the existence of ghosts or any supernatural entities and/or realms? As a lot of books have the supernatural as a focal point I think it's a relevant question.
I have had first hand experience with such things; I must believe in them.

sirmyk said:
I have had first hand experience with such things; I must believe in them.
What?! Do tell!!

For me, I'm unsure. I've never had personal experiences, but there are so many things that we can't know, and for so many people to think that they have seen such things there must be an element of truth.

I'm not sure on this issue. I know I've awakened a few times to see what appeared to be Civil War soldiers standing at the foot of my bed. Understand that my home sits on the corner of what was once a Civil War Battlefield and many men died a horrible death (burned to death). It frightened me the first couple of times it happened; after that I asked if there anything I could do and they left. I really don’t know if they were real or if I was just having a waking dream, but it sure seemed real enough.

I believe in the existence of spirits and supernatural entities. I believe in the existence of God, Angels, the devil and his emissaries and I think that with all of people's experiences down the ages they cant ALL be explained scientifically or secularly.

I just think it's far more likely than unlikely that the supernatural does exist and sometime manifests itself on earth.

Robert said:
I know I've awakened a few times to see what appeared to be Civil War soldiers standing at the foot of my bed. Understand that my home sits on the corner of what was once a Civil War Battlefield and many men died a horrible death (burned to death).
This reminds me a bit of a similar thing from the town of my birth York, which is supposed to be the most haunted city in the world (at least according to the local Tourist Information Centre).

Anyway:
"York is apparently still haunted by 2,000 year-old ghosts: the lost Roman Legion. Harry Martindale, an apprentice plumber installing a heating system in the cellars of the Treasurer's House, spotted the ghosts in 1953. He heard a horn in the distance, and then a disheveled Roman soldier on a horse emerged from the brick wall. This soldier was followed by others, all looking dejected, carrying swords and spears. They appeared to be walking on their knees, but really an old Roman road is located fifteen inches below the cellar, so the ghosts could have been walking on their own familiar road, on their way to the Minster. Others after Martindale have spotted these soldiers as well, so many that the area is now closed to visitors. "

Source: http://www.timetravel-britain.com/05/May/ghosts.shtml

My whole family is very into the supernatural and so growing up we would always talk about it as we would anything elses in day to day life. My great grandmather's house was haunted and while I never have seen the ghosts there some spooky things did happen when we would visit.

I've always thought that all stories have some truth at the base of them. It seems to me that everything must come from somewhere.

I'm a believer, my family has had so many strange experiences that we feel we have no choice but to believe. Either that or I come from a bunch of looney, padded cell types - wait, that would kinda explain alot. :rolleyes:

I have had relatives describe episodes where they were "stuck in time" so to speak and that it took them something like three hours to move from one room to another in a house. The same relatives have talked about a black curtain partially blocking their vision for the better part of a day and then disappearing. It's funny because these people are the most rational and anti-spiritual(i.e.-they don't have those kinds of inclinations) attitudes among anybody I know. To me, I guess people's personal experiences are due to too many chemicals or neurons firing or misfiring somewhere in the brain. At least, that's what I've come to believe about it. I'm a hardcore rationalist. I believe that such things violate the natural laws of science and thus, can't be an exception.

Back