• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greetings from Fort Penguin

RosesInHerHair

Have a thing for penguins, wanted to be original... :p

My name is Sarah.

I love reading and writing, always have.

I was a very hyper and imaginative little girl, and everyone told my mother I had ADD. However, my doctor insisted otherwise due to the fact that whenever my mother sat me down to read to me, I would become engrossed and focus for hours. My local library had a much better children's floor than adult floor, so I was there with my mother almost every day. Before I could write, I would dictate stories to my mother so she could write them down for me. When I was old enough to write, I wrote a little children's book called "You Can Eat" on pieces of folded paper and took it to school. My first grade teacher turned me over to the Project Challenge teacher, and I was entered in Write-a-Book. I won first place at state against fourth graders, but I wasn't able to progress due to my age.

I started out reading the R. L. Stein Goosebumps books and eventually went on to better things. There is nothing more important to developing a writing style than being an avid reader. As I entered senior year, I started having less and less time to read, which irritated me. I'm looking forward to my Comp II and Lit classes in college where I'll be introduced to new things, and have an opportunity to analyze them formally. I've already taken Comp II at the community college, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Presently, I'm writing mostly fiction short stories, and am currently in the process of sending one of the better ones around to magazines. As Stephen King says, you have to accumulate a good stack of rejection notices before you can become a writer.

These are some of my favorite writers:

George Orwell - the themes in 1984 woke me up to many things that year
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita - amazing how something so vile can be written in such beautiful prose
Augusten Burroughs - infuses blunt humor with absolute tragedy, inspiring
Hunter S. Thompson - an over the top venomous pen, hilarious and horrifying
Stephen King - what can you say about the King that isn't already implied?
William S. Burroughs - $#@!
Anthony Burrgess - dialect, nuff said
Nancy Garden - Annie on My Mind as well as other fluffy young adult lesbian fiction, refreshingly out of the ordinary
Chuck Palahniuk - brilliant dark humor
Guy de Maupassant - beautiful prose style, and it's interesting to trace the themes of his short stories with the advancing of the syphilis that would kill him

This was a bit of a wordy introduction, so if you got this far, congratulations! I hope to stick around. Intelligent Internet forums are not a dime a dozen.

- Sara

Sara, great introduction! Welcome to the Book Forum.

Looking forward to your participation in our discussions. Make sure you check out the writers' subforum. Maybe you'd like to share some of your writing? :)

hey sara im sure you'll feel at home here

imaginative person and penguin lover, you hit the right forum (sure youll find out soon why)
welcome and make yourself at home :)

Welcome and feel free to post whatever you feel like.

Oh and could anybody tell me what this pinguin stuff is all about, i think i never really understood it. :eek:

Welcome :)

I really like the nick you chose for yourself "Rosesinherhair" Do you have roses in your hair? Don't you know penguins are birds of evil bent on mankinds destruction?!

Hi RosesInHerHair, and welcome to the forum. What a great introduction!! I'm looking forward to seeing you around about here. But watch out for Wabbit - he's got some serious penguin-predjudice going on.

Although we're already conversed elsewhere (I think)....Welcome! Ignore the penguin comments. I think they're pretty cool birds.

Welcome to the forum, Sara! :) I agree about the Orwell and the King - I haven't read any of the other authors you listed, but hopefully I will some time.

Back