• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greetings From the New Girl

Thea

Hey there everyone. I'm an American living in Leeds, England. I'm a member of too many forums I no longer visit, but oddly enough have never been a member of a book discussion forum, despite the fact that books are my favorite things.

I am currently reading three books:

Devil's Knot by Mara Leveritt
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto

Next on my list:

Post Office by Charles Bukowski
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

...and the rest of my 100+ supply of unread books. I'm not kidding. I buy them everywhere I go. I wear old, ratty clothing because the money I should be spending on the bare necessities of life is all spent on books. These days I rarely leave the house in fear I might pass a bookstore.

Someone please help!

Greetings and Welcome, Thea! I have a sister named Thea - which I always thought was a rather rare name to have.

I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451, and am starting on Something Wicked This Way Comes. I got a great deal on 5 Bradbury paperbacks from eBay, so am devouring them quickly! I used to buy all new books but it was too costly for me, too (I MUST have new shoes :eek: ), so I started going to the library. Then I realized I prefer to own the books I enjoy, so now I go to eBay and Amazon.

Amazon is the only place I ever buy books from these days. I bought The Name of the Rose and The God of Small Things at Borders recently when I thought "I'd like to have the experience of actually buying something in a real bookstore again" but the romance died when I signed onto Amazon and discovered they were each selling for under a pound. I snatched them up and returned the other books to Borders the following day. :p

I used to have a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes when I was a kid, and the movie really freaked me out, but I never got around to reading it. I think I have Fahrenheit 451 around here somewhere but I'm not sure (sometimes I forget which books I have because I've bought so many of them - I never thought I'd reach this point).

Are you like me in that you absolutely adore old, beat up books? New books tend to intimidate me; I don't want to bend the pages or break the binding, but older books I can throw around and be brutal to, and I enjoy not knowing how many people have read that copy before me. :D

Leeds isn't so far away from me... I'm noticing there are far too many Yorkies appearing though. Might have to campaign for more Lancs members, I feel so alone. Welcome!

Yeah, Amazon rocks!! I used to buy from the local book stores (try to support the local economy) but now I only go to them when I need a book NOW or am looking for a gift.

I DO adore old beat up books, but I also like having a virgin in my hands. It seems so fresh and clean, and I'm pretty easy on them so I don't bugger up the spines or anything. But I know what you mean about old books - they have a comfortable quality, and it's nice knowing that others have probably felt enjoyment from them. Good vibes from used books!

Welcome, Thea!

Amazon is a life-saver (or $ saver). I also like Half.com, where you can get great prices on used books. Might wanna look into them.

Howdy and Welcome!

Don't know if they offer it in the UK, but Amazon's used book service has been great for me. Found some great hard to get stuff, cheap!

Tho since my family trades around a lot of paperbacks, those generally get traded in to the used bookstore locally (2 for 1 with a 10% cash upcharge.)

It's about time you reported in. Do you know how much money was spent, how many man hours invested, how many sleepless nights tossed away just to have you infiltrate those clueless Brits? We've spent a mint in language lessions alone!

You deserve high praise for making the ultimate sacriface though, I'll give you that much. Going all that time, having to watch their TV and not being able to get a decent cheeseburger must have been pure hell.

As soon as you file your report, well send in a crack team of tight bunned snobs to blend in and pull you from the area before it's too late.

Just keep happy thoughts. Think of sleeping in your own bed and having your own bag of marshmellows.

In the mean time, keep a stiff upper fleshy thing above your teeth and enjoy your stay. :D

RaVeN

:eek:

I don't actually watch TV, and I'm a vegetarian!

I do miss eating pizza that doesn't taste like cardboard dipped in salt water, however.

RainbowGurl said:
Well at least our cheeseburgers wont get us obese so quickly :rolleyes:

Make note of this one, Agent Thea. She prefers a slow death. :p

Keep up the good work and there's no limit to your choice of crusts. :D

RaVeN

You're one crazy cat, Raven, but feel free to call me Agent Thea if you like. I won't object to that, or the fabulous crust offer (it's the best part of the whole pie).

You're not the first to have been tempted by my crust. :D (can't wait to hear back on that one)

Do the have Pizza Hut over there , Agent T? They have cheese in their crust ya know. Tell me you eat cheese. Please tell me you eat cheese.

RaVeN

Eww, Raven. Just eww.

We do have Pizza Hut. In fact, I just ordered from them last night because I was having a low-key birthday celebration (wanna guess my age?). I do eat cheese, but melted cheese kind of freaks me out for reasons I cannot explain. I'm not that strict a vegetarian; I've been known to eat chicken and fish on rare occasions.

I would just like to say that I went to the gourmet grocery store last night, and you Brits eat some bizarre cheese. God willing, you do NOT put anything but a nice mozzarella on pizza.

Back