• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Guy Gavriel Kay: Tigana

direstraits said:
Hay, I would have flipped if Lions ended without the epilogue.
We'd then would never have known who actually died, now, wouldn't it?
Great as the epilogue might be, I would still have prefered not to know.

I now have Tigana out from the library - I tried to start it on Saturday afternoon, but fell asleep :eek: . Nothing to do with the book I am sure, but the muggy-Saturday-afternoon-sleep-inducing environment that I was in. So keep your spoiler tags tight!!

Kookamoor said:
I now have Tigana out from the library - I tried to start it on Saturday afternoon, but fell asleep :eek: . Nothing to do with the book I am sure, but the muggy-Saturday-afternoon-sleep-inducing environment that I was in. So keep your spoiler tags tight!!
Definitely nothing wrong with a Saturday afternoon nap! Tigana does start a little slowly IMO but after that, hang on tight! :) Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Oh, and then the Duke said to his son who was..., oh sorry, Kook, almost gave away one of the best bits early on in the book.

ds

ds - watch it!! I read some more last night and it's getting better... I think I'll steer clear of this thread until I'm done. :rolleyes:

I just finished this book. It was pretty good, i'll definetly read more of his books. It was refreshing to see a villain that wasnt 100% pure evil like they normally are in fantasy.

Zolipara said:
I just finished this book. It was pretty good, i'll definetly read more of his books. It was refreshing to see a villain that wasnt 100% pure evil like they normally are in fantasy.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Zolipara. I thought it was an excellent read. My wife and I were just talking about how rare it was to actually be able to relate to a villain (on some levels). Brandin and Dianora were actually the two most intriguing characters IMO. I'd be curious to hear your opinons if you pick up his other books. As you probably know, there's a certain blue banana that speaks very highly of them. I recently picked up Fionavar Tapestry but haven't read them yet.

I finished Tigana a little while back, but haven't had the computer and time to put down my thoughts.

I loved the ending.
I thought the decision made by the servant was thought provoking, although as ds said, I did feel very sorry for Dianora's brother that he will never know the truth. That being said, would be want to know? Would he be pleased that his sister was capable of ending the curse 10 years previously and preventing so much bloodshed? But if he had done so, the other tyrant would likely have over-run the Palm, so what good could Dianora have done?
It sort of reminded me of Hamlet in a way - does and should one take action?

As to the riselka in the epilogue, I thought this was interesting. I wondered who was going to be the one to die, and who was blessed... I like a book that keeps you thinking after the fact.

I didn't understand what made the tyrants so special in terms of their magic. Why couldn't Alessan have gathered together all the wizards in the Palm to fight against them? Why were these sorcerors so gifted? I would have liked an explanation to that.

I thought the characters in this one were developed with similar depth to Fionavar, and yet I found them even more intriguing. Perhaps this was because they were within a completely fantastic realm, as opposed to being based in our own. I also really enjoyed the strength of Alais, and while she was a second string character I thought she was still well developed. Kay seems to really appreciate strong women, which is something I really enjoy about his characters.

I'm taking a little break from Kay for now - not because I am tired of him at all, but because I don't want to be! I have a trip coming up at the end of the month and I think his next series would be a wonderful travel accessory. Any tips on his next to read?

There was one annoying thing with this book though, Devins "relationship" with priests in the beginning of the book. I was wondering in Kay had some bad experiences.

Kookamoor said:
I

I'm taking a little break from Kay for now - not because I am tired of him at all, but because I don't want to be! I have a trip coming up at the end of the month and I think his next series would be a wonderful travel accessory. Any tips on his next to read?

You going anywhere nice? Have a good time :)

HMMM..looks like I joined this thread a little late but I've read most of Guy Gavriel Kay's work. My favs are his stand-alone book Tigana which this thread obviously highlights but also his Finovar Tapestry. Mind you I read these books 15 and 20 years ago respectively but they were certainly an above average read for me then.

direstraits said:
What are you current favourites, Gollum?

ds
Well there's probably too many to list but some of my favs are:

Italo Calvino - Invisible cities
Stephen Donaldson - Runes of the earth (read all of the covenant books)
Steven Erikson - Malazan series (the best! )
George RR Martin - Song of Ice and Fire
R Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing
China Mieville - New Crobuzon trilogy and King Rat.
Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun. In fact anything by Wolfe.
M John Harrison - Viriconium
Kate Elliott - Crown Of stars series
Grreg Keyes - Kingdom of Thorn and Bone
Ricardo Pinto - Dance of The Chameleon trilogy
Paul Kearney - Mark Of Ran
Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
JV Jones - Sword Of Shadows
Lord Dunsany - Knig Of Elfland's Daughter
HP Lovecraft - Dunwitch Horror, Mountains Of Madness and Colour Out Of Space.
ER Eddison - Worm Ouborous
Robert Silverberg - All of the Majipoor books.
Janny Wurts - Wars Of Light and Shadow.

That give you an idea of what I like?...:confused:

Very thorough list, Gollum!

Yes, I roughly know now, and I think you'll get on very well with Ainulindale and Sell Sword. I've only read some of those you've listed, and have others on my TBR pile.

I've read the first Covenant trilogy, and wondered how I got through it now. It wasn't bad when I read it, though. :) GRRM is my favourite epic fantasy right now, and the best I've read so far. I liked PSS by Mieville, and have the Scar waiting for me. Mixed feelings on Jonathan Strange, but mainly positive, due to the lovely writing.

Erikson and Bakker are in my TBR list. I have the full Book of the New Sun quartet awaiting my attention.

A few in my list that isn't on yours are Ursula Le Guin, GGK, of course, Neil Gaiman and Lois M Bujold's foray into fantasy which is very good.

ds

direstraits said:
A few in my list that isn't on yours are Ursula Le Guin, GGK, of course, Neil Gaiman and Lois M Bujold's foray into fantasy which is very good.
Yep happy to add Ursula Le Guin (especially Earthsea and Left Hand Of Darkness) and some of GGK's notably Fionavar Tapestry and Tingana and to a lesser extent Lois M Bujold. I keep hearing about Gaiman and recently read American Gods which was very good. I believe the Rgiante series are not that great but his more recent standalones are better plus of course the Sandman series needs no introduction to comic enthusiasts. I'll need to read more Gaiman novels before passing judgement though...

As promised:

I finished Tigana last night. Before finishing it I bought The Last Light of the Sun which is $9.99 for the hardcover at Chapters/Indigo for you Canadians right now. Had I known that some of Kay's books had a historical fiction flair to them I would not have contemplated starting one for so long. I would have jumped right in. Tigana has piqued my interest in Italian history a bit.

The prose was clean and flowing. One of my biggest gripes with fantastical fiction is that it is often overly descriptive. Kay is not guilty of this in Tigana. The pace was decent all the way through and for a book of almost 700 pages I finished it quickly enough given the time I had to read. I liked the characters and found them for the most part believable. There were a couple relationship twists which I didn't find added anything to the story and it didn't quite suit the characters. Brandin was easily the most interesting character in the book and also the one that I felt Kay kept true to his character all the way through.

In terms of a Fantasy novel there is not much use of magic and few strange creatures. No dwarves, elves, or dragons. Just people from different regions not getting along which was a good representation of Italy at the time Kay has fictionalized. The magic use is tasteful and even kinda fascinating. There is a sense of awe and power when it's used both because it's barely used and it influences the story in an appropriate way.

I am going to read more Kay beyond The Last Light of the Sun which I now own, I look forward to reading more Kay in fact, but I'm unlikely to give the Fionavar Tapestry another go unless I truely run out of other things to read.

If you're not sure about the fantasy genre but enjoy historical fiction Tigana is a book you will likely enjoy. If you're not sure about fantasy but you want a read that's going to take you to another place without having to take too many leaps of faith then Tigana is also for you. Definately a good read completely worth the time.

Wonderful to hear you've enjoyed Tigana, ions. A hundred million tasteful people and an over-enthusiastic banana cannot be wrong. :)

For your next Kay (after Last Light, of course), I'd recommend Lions of Al-Rassan. This I consider Kay's best standalone.

Stick around in the fantasy scifi forum, man...

Btw, did you finish Eco's Foucault's Pendulum? How was it?

ds

direstraits said:
Wonderful to hear you've enjoyed Tigana, ions. A hundred million tasteful people and an over-enthusiastic banana cannot be wrong. :)

For your next Kay (after Last Light, of course), I'd recommend Lions of Al-Rassan. This I consider Kay's best standalone.

Actually that is indeed the Kay I will read following Last Light. It's also been recommended to me by a respected co-worker. Neither of your recommendations have let me down.

direstraits said:
Stick around in the fantasy scifi forum, man...

The locking of my thread to re-open certain threads has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Moderation made it clear my opinion wasn't desired or worth discussing. In a discussion of books all I have is my opinion. No longer any desire to post here except of course to thank you for the great recommendation.

direstraits said:
Btw, did you finish Eco's Foucault's Pendulum? How was it?

ds

I did. And honestly a little underwhelming. I was impressed by the massive amount of information, assuming that most of it is true. The topic of the Templars was interesting but possibly a little too complex. I felt as though I should be taking notes to see every little detail and connection as they put together their plan. Yet, if I had done that I don't think it would have made the book any better. The prose was satisfying even occasionally challenging in a good way. The characters interesting and humourous. Problem was they, and the reader, were all stuck in a long boring lecture on mysticism. Part of the problem may have been is that I was expecting a book as fast paced as a Dan Brown except with good writing and facts. Foucault's Pendulum really shares very little with the Brown. Which is of course a good thing but different than I expected.

Back