• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Halloween books for kids

SFG75

During our last visit to the library, the boys picked Spooky Hour by Tony Mitton. The book has some wonderful bright colors and each page is dedicated to something scary. One page features spiders, another trolls, yet another wizards. The one featuring ghosts were the best, though daddy added a certain scary element to that one with voice and some tickling.:D It was by far, a winner.

We just got back from the library today and brought home two more Halloween books. Ethan chose Too Many Pumpkins by Linda White. The reviewers on Amazon raved aboutg it, we'll see if my toughest little book critics agree. He also picked out Halloween by Brenda Haugen.

What Halloween reads are your little ones(or big ones) reading?:)

Children love dinosaurs and the supernatural because they admire power.

No one tells a Tyrannosaurus Rex to go to bed early. No one tells a vampire or werewolf to finish all their vegetables before they can have desert.

Plus, the supernatural is not even bound by laws of nature such as gravity.

My idea is that every specific body strives to become master over all space and to extend its force (—its will to power) and to thrust back all that resists its extension. But it continually encounters similar efforts on the part of other bodies and ends by coming to an arrangement ("union") with those of them that are sufficiently related to it: thus they then conspire together for power. And the process goes on.
—trans. Walter Kaufmann, The Will to Power, §636

Tell them to go trick-or-treating disguised as Nietzsche!

My kids are "gobbling" up Halloween books, too.

My 2 year old is in love with In a Dark, Dark House by Jennifer Dussling. Its is one of those early reader All Aboard Reading books that I bought for the 5 year old who is learning to read. It is a fun one because it has some pictures instead of words and he loves to help "read" the story. Also, the monster is funny looking.

The 5 year old is loving The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest, which I think is lind of corny, but he wants to read it every night!

My personal new favorite (oh yeah, the kids like it, too) is Boris and Bella by Carolyn Crimi. The story is sweet and not too scary for the young ones. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the illustrations by Gris Grimly. They are just beautiful and ghoulish and fun. I went in search of other books illustrated by him - although the illustrations were still great, this is, by far, the best story I found.

I just ordered a BUNCH of Halloween books for the kids from BookCloseouts.com at a great price. I never tried the site before so this is a test - I'll let you all know when I get the books.

I am reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods and that is really creeping me out :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My 2 year old is in love with In a Dark, Dark House by Jennifer Dussling. Its is one of those early reader All Aboard Reading books that I bought for the 5 year old who is learning to read. It is a fun one because it has some pictures instead of words and he loves to help "read" the story. Also, the monster is funny looking.

Funny looking monsters are a hit here too.

The 5 year old is loving The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest, which I think is lind of corny, but he wants to read it every night!

Ghosts are the hands down winner here. The kids will "grab" the ghost in the picture and then try to tickle me with it, all the while giving the extra sound effect of: "Ooooooooooooo-aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!";)

I just ordered a BUNCH of Halloween books for the kids from BookCloseouts.com at a great price. I never tried the site before so this is a test - I'll let you all know when I get the books.

What a site!. Thanks for the new favorites addition.

I am reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods and that is really creeping me out :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm reading something just as scary-how the Bush administration planned to go to war.

Halloween is nearing, and my little wrecking crew has chosen The Halloween Play by Felicia Bond, as well as Hello Harvest Moon by Ralph Fletcher.:)

The Too Many Pumpkins book will be sorely missed. My youngest wasn't happy that we had to return it. Amazon can't bring it to our home fast enough.;)

Mine are loving Mommy by Maurice Sendak.

aec3.images_amazon.com_images_P_0439880505.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37870950_.jpg

It's an amazing popup book about a boy looking for his mommy. He goes through the house and sees mummies, vampires, frankenstine, and a couple others. Gorgeously built.

I just picked up Mommy, but haven't given it to them yet - I was waiting to give it to them for Halloween - maybe I'll bust out with it today...

Mine are loving Mommy by Maurice Sendak.

aec3.images_amazon.com_images_P_0439880505.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37870950_.jpg

It's an amazing popup book about a boy looking for his mommy. He goes through the house and sees mummies, vampires, frankenstine, and a couple others. Gorgeously built.

Mommy - too cute - I don't know who enjoyed it more - what a beautiful book it is.

Back